Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig Mosquito

Options
  • 10-01-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a restricted licence on a Sig mosquito and it is due for renewal shortly. I am not in a position due to work commitments to make any serious use of a range for the foreseeable future. I am thinking of telling the Gardai that I will not be renewing at this time.

If I go that route has anyone got any suggestions as to what I might do with the Sig?

If I want to reapply for a pistol licence later on will I be able to maintain that i had a pistol pre 2008 and perhaps get another restricted one at that stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

HughF wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a restricted licence on a Sig mosquito and it is due for renewal shortly. I am not in a position due to work commitments to make any serious use of a range for the foreseeable future. I am thinking of telling the Gardai that I will not be renewing at this time.

If I go that route has anyone got any suggestions as to what I might do with the Sig?

If I want to reapply for a pistol licence later on will I be able to maintain that i had a pistol pre 2008 and perhaps get another restricted one at that stage?

You could sell it up the North, I hear a lot of guys did that with their centrefires. Or just do what Cass said below and restrict the mags and sell it something which I completely forgot about:pac:

If you sell the Sig you won't be able to licence a different restricted firearm in the future...it's renewals only. However if you handed it into a dealer to be stored now and later you decided you wanted to get back into it you may be able to re-licence your Sig again but only that exact gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

HughF wrote: »
    You could sell it here.

I assume you have a restricted license as it holds more than 5 rounds? If so you could have the mags plugged to allow no more than 5 rounds, and sell it as an unrestricted firearm.

I also assume Sig only made the mosquito in .22lr. Open to correction on this.
    As said above no. No more restricted short arm licenses are being issued after Nov. 2008.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Cass wrote: »
    I also assume Sig only made the mosquito in .22lr. Open to correction on this.

Yes.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

where would one have the mags plugged to only allow 5 rounds........i am sure it could do it myself but maybe the gardai might not accept it in such a manner?

I'm not 100% on what the Gardaí would accept, but if you had them plugged or restricted in a manner that was permanent then had an RFD "sign off" on them as being so it would help.

The other option would be to buy a mag (no idea how cost effective this would be), and sell the 5 round mag with the gun, and sell the other mags as spares to someone with an appropriate license.

Only spit balling here, but you have options. The gun by it's caliber is unrestricted, and as said it's only the magazine capacity that gives it it's restricted status.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

thanks Cass i will look into that and may even put it on the for sale site

By all means stick it up in the for sale section. Stick up the details, price, and pictutes.

Just make it known that the gun is licensed to you as a restricted firearm due to the magazines, and if you don't want to buy 5 round mags, or cannot get the mags plugged sell the gun as it, and reduce the price slightly as it won't have a mag.

IOW don't sell it as an unrestricted firearm with "restricted firearm" magazines.

Maybe stick up a thread asking for a swap. There must be others with restricted licenses for a .22 that would have an interest in the mags. Exchange them for 5 round ones. That is of course if the plugging does not satisfy the Gardaí. I'd have them plugged either way. As an unrestricted firearm it is much more attractive as people can get licenses for it. The only way to sell your gun with your current mags is for the buyer to get a restricted license, and as that is not possible your only other option is to sell it abroad (N.I., etc)

Other than that go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

if u can restrict them urself do. is all the buyer has to do is bring in the mags when their applying for their licence. show them to the fo and bring 6 rounds and get him to fill the mag. he will not be able to put in the 6th round so he can sign off on them being 5rnd mags. that's what I done without any issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dax121 wrote: »
    if u can restrict them urself do. is all the buyer has to do is bring in the mags when their applying for their licence. show them to the fo and bring 6 rounds and get him to fill the mag. he will not be able to put in the 6th round so he can sign off on them being 5rnd mags. that's what I done without any issues :D

It'll be the seller that will have to bring the magazines to the Gardai for approval as the buyer won't have a licence for the gun yet when he is applying for it.

Technically he would be in possession of an illegal firearm if he had the magazines without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Likewise walking into a Garda station with 6 rounds of ammo in your pocket...particularly if you've no licence for the .22 ammo. Not a great idea tbh.

It'd have to be the OP who does the magazine limiting.

Still don't think bringing live ammo and magazines into a Garda station is a good idea (licensed or not). Maybe by appointment....

• Advertisement
Advertisement