Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search results

Options
  • 10-01-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Two suggestions re display of search results:

(1) I usually want to see ‘newest first’ instead of ‘best match’. Would it be possible to have a User CP setting to allow the default to be changed?

(2) Each post that contains the search term is displayed. This is good, but when even a single thread has many posts with the term there is a lot of scrolling and page-clicking to find new relevant threads. I think it would be nice to also have an option to display a list of threads.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree with this. I nearly responded to a thread from 2000 after doing a search for a particular author :eek:.*

Type in Alastair Reynolds and you will see what I mean!

Maybe a smart search that shows results of best match in the last year and then further down based on overall best match?

*Although I am sure Trojan would have been happy to answer my query:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Agree with this, I pretty much only ever use newest first

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Search is definitely on the radar in terms of upcoming feature updates. With the recent roll out of the new talk to forum format and the touch re-vamp just around the corner it won't be in the immediate future, but rest assured we'll be getting around to it.

We've currently just under 35.5 million posts indexed and it's rising (fast). So keeping a high standard of relevancy is becoming an increasingly larger challenge with the current set of facets / filters available to the user at the moment. We're constantly tinkering with phrase and index time boosting, but given the relatively high power of our current setup (we've currently an avg response time of 206ms on all requests) we'll be looking to take advantage of the search system in future updates across the site.

The above suggestions are great, keep them coming if possible :) In the meantime you keep an eye on the site dev forum for any updates, or drop me a PM if you'd like any further info.

Advertisement