Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance in a car you dont own

Options
  • 10-01-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

My mum won a car lately. She has one already that she's happy with. She was gonna let my sister use it. can my sis get insurance in a car she doesn't own? I see on my own policy that one of the conditions is that you are the owner of the car on which you're insured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the registered owner must be the primary insurer. She could get your mam to insure the car with her as a named driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Or get the mother to switch the registered owner of the car to the daughter. Be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

This is a tricky one. I was driving a car I didn't own for a couple of years. I insured it in my own name but this year when I went to renew in August I ran into problems. I couldn't find a way around it.

I know somebody who is a teacher. She was insured with Cornmarket. She was able to get insurance to drive any car and hence was covered to drive the car she didn't own. There are probably similar arrangements in place for other professions.

I rang the insurance federation at the time. If you fail to get a quote they help you get cover. Not sure how competitive the price would be or even if they would do it when you have no "insurable interest".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The Federation wont help you get cover in these circumstances. Its plain and simple - to insure something there has to be an insurable interest. Your sister has no insurable interest in a vehicle your mother owns. So an insurance company will not insure a vehicle in one persons name registered to a different person.

And Milesandmiles, the solution to your problems is to re-registere it in you own name. You can't get a policy that allows you to drive any car. What you refer to is a driving other cars extension on an insurance policy - you still need to own a car to get a policy. so no offence but if you don't know what you are talking about please don't give someone sh1tty advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jonnybangbang

To insure a car/item/ anything. you have to be the owner of that thing/item/car. You have to incure a financial loss with the loss/damage of it in order to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

peteb2 wrote: »

And Milesandmiles, the solution to your problems is to re-registere it in you own name. You can't get a policy that allows you to drive any car. What you refer to is a driving other cars extension on an insurance policy - you still need to own a car to get a policy. so no offence but if you don't know what you are talking about please don't give someone sh1tty advice!

Wow

Wow

Problem? :confused: There was absolutely nothing factual in what you had said. You would have the OP ringing insurance companies looking for this magical policy that allows them to driver anyones car.

peteb2 wrote: »
    What you refer to is a driving other cars extension on an insurance policy - you still need to own a car to get a policy. so no offence but if you don't know what you are talking about please don't give someone sh1tty advice!

He specifically said insurance for professions, ie. trade insurance. While it's not a viable option in this case because she could only drive the car during business hours, it generally can't be a family members car, and its far too expensive, it was a potential option nonetheless. So get down off your high horse, and read the post properly before you call somebody else's advice "sh1tty".

Nino Brown wrote: »
    He specifically said insurance for professions, ie. trade insurance. While it's not a viable option in this case because she could only drive the car during business hours, it generally can't be a family members car, and its far too expensive, it was a potential option nonetheless. So get down off your high horse, and read the post properly before you call somebody else's advice "sh1tty".

What are you actually talking about?? There is no such agreement for "professions" so it doesnt matter how its said.

If you are referring to "motor trade policy" the peson actually has to be full time involved in the motor trade to take out a policy.

He also said the person was teacher -therefore woudln't have that type of policy so I suggest you take your own advice here and re-read the post.

There are lots of people with motor trade insurance that aren't in the motor trade, they are probably liable for misrepresentation and I would definitely not recommend doing it, but the guy never said it was the definitive answer, he just said he knew somebody who had it, so relax, there's no need to be such a know it all, if you don't agree with what somebody has to say fine, just say you wouldn't advise that option..... There's so many people on these forums just looking for something to go off on.

• Advertisement

He didnt say he know someone with motor trade insurance. He said he knew a teacher that had a policy with Cornmarket. Cornmarket don't sell motor trade policies. So he's likely to have completely picked up the wrong end of the stick as it wasnt even his own policy. And then wished to impart that incorrect knowledge to someone else. This is the "banking and insurance and pensions" forum. Not After Hours. I'm not looking for "something to go off on". And you're not a mod. so if you aren't happy with my post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

There are lots of people with motor trade insurance that aren't in the motor trade, they are probably liable for misrepresentation and I would definitely not recommend doing it, but the guy never said it was the definitive answer, he just said he knew somebody who had it, so relax, there's no need to be such a know it all, if you don't agree with what somebody has to say fine, just say you wouldn't advise that option..... There's so many people on these forums just looking for something to go off on.

The person probably has a full comp policy which allows to driver other cars with third party cover. Many insurers have this but the other car must have its own insurance policy on it as part of terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Cheers for the replies lads.
    My mum was initially anxious for my sis to have seperate insurance due to no claims bonus and a general fear that her own insurance would hike if there was an accident!
    Looks like the best way to proceed is for mum to get comprehensive insurance and protect the 'no-claims' with my sis as a named driver?
    Any ideas?

If your mam just transfers it into your sis's name there's no problem. It's easy she just puts your sisters name on the change of ownership form on the logbook and sends it off.
    Then your sister can insure the car in her own name, and risk her own NCB, then if your mam ever wants the car back just change the ownership over again. Your sister can even add your mam as a named driver so she can still drive the car.

Is there a reason she doesn't want to transfer ownership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Peteb2 was giving sound advice. Your example refers to people who can acquire cover by telling lies. Anyone can give that advice. Don't have a go at people who advocate the honest approach and berate them for 'going off on one'

Very easy for posters here to give the sneaky solution to a problem, when they would be scared shltless to take that route themselves

oldyouth wrote: »
    Your example refers to people who can acquire cover by telling lies. Anyone can give that advice.

What advice are you talking about? At no time did anybody advise getting an illegal policy, all the guy said was he thought he knew a teacher who had professional insurance that allowed them to drive any car, he may have been mistaken, it happens. Then he was told his advice was "Sh!tty" and he didn't know what he was talking about. I just thought it was an over reaction to an innocent statement.

There are lots of people with motor trade insurance that aren't in the motor trade, they are probably liable for misrepresentation

This.

You do know it is a criminal offence to deceive an insurer in to issuing an insurance policy?

This.

You do know it is a criminal offence to deceive an insurer in to issuing an insurance policy?

I clearly do know its a criminal offence, which is why I said they would be liable, and I would NOT advise doing that.

I clearly do know its a criminal offence, which is why I said they would be liable, and I would NOT advise doing that.

But you berated Peteb2 for taking a stand against those who might take this option

But you berated Peteb2 for taking a stand against those who might take this option

I give up, you're right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

simplest thing would be to put the 'won' car into your sister's name - mum need only transfer ownership. Could sister buy it from her? Could she pay for it on the never never, over 5/6 years?

Advertisement