Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy light bulbs issue

Options
  • 10-01-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

In the main living area of my apartment are two light fixtures on the ceiling with 3 40W mini globe bulbs (E14, small screw type). The mini globe lights work grand but I wanted energy efficient bulbs. I got energy bulbs, put them in as normal etc. but the lights only continuously flashed and there was a buzzing sound from the fixture. I took out the energy light and put back in the 40W mini globe lights, which again worked perfectly.
    I returned to bulbs to where I got them and got a new set of bulbs, different make. I was advised by someone when the bulbs are turned on for the first time, possibly leave them on for half an hour at least. The new set worked better than the previous lot initially but the same issue of flashing/dimming and a buzzing sound returned.
    When I put in the 40W globe bulbs again, they work grand. Are some fixtures not suitable for energy lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

Are they switched through a dimmer by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

desoc32 wrote: »
    Are they switched through a dimmer by any chance?

No, it's a standard switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

make sure to tighten down the new bulbs fully
    they need to be screwed tightly to the connection point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Are the new bulbs you are installing LED bulbs by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Are the luminaires on a two-way switch?

When you use energy efficient lamps with two-way, residual current is left in the circuit between the strappers and the capacitors in the energy efficient lamps. Although not enough current to light the lamp, its enough to cause the capacitors in the lamp to charge up to a certain % and attempt to strike hence the flashing you see. This will repeat itself for a period of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement