Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch Cups 2013

Options
  • 10-01-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Mount Juliet are doing 3 separate scratch cups this year for Junior, intermediate and senior scratch cups. They normally don't do that I think.

Intermediate Scratch Cup is on Sunday 5th May.
    Junior Scratch Cup is on Sunday 2nd June.
    Senior Scratch Cup is on Sunday 4th August.

You can book online now for €60, I'm already down for 12pm on 2nd June :D
    It's also part of the Topgolfer tour I think.

(I thought I'd start a new thread as the old one is pages & pages, mods can merge with old if they wish)
    Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gonna try and get to a few senior scratches this year, but definitely hitting the tullamore junior scratch on the 5th of May. Play it every year and the course is always really well set up for it.

60 quid for golf is a bit steep for me, so Mount Juliet is out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

60 quid for golf is a bit steep for me, so Mount Juliet is out :)

+1, but at least they have them on a weekend this year. They held Scratch Cups last year but they were held on a Thurs and they were still charging €60. I've never played the course before and although I've heard great things €60 wouldn't entice me to travel for it.

One definite one for me this year is the Carlow JSC, played it last year for the first time and best value golf ever, €30 for 36 holes plus they had a lovely lunch included.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jarzinho

+1, but at least they have them on a weekend this year. They held Scratch Cups last year but they were held on a Thurs and they were still charging €60. I've never played the course before and although I've heard great things €60 wouldn't entice me to travel for it.

One definite one for me this year is the Carlow JSC, played it last year for the first time and best value golf ever, €30 for 36 holes plus they had a lovely lunch included.

The dates seem decent alright, need some practice before playing there this year though. What's the Top Golfer reference about?

No offence Dr C but I hate Carlow, I'm using the word hate about a golf course here. I wouldn't even rate it as the best course in Carlow. Having said that, it seems to be rated highly and each to their own as well.

Jarzinho wrote: »
    What's the Top Golfer reference about?

http://www.topgolfer.ie/

I'm just after registering there now. Sure it could be a bit of craic to go play a few of these events whenever they get announced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

+1. You couldn't ask for better value for 36 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Reganovski wrote: »
    I'm already down for 12pm on 2nd June

Looking forward to another match up, Reganovski. €60 is a touch steep, so maybe we'll put 50 cent on the outcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I notice Headfort have introduced a senior scratch cup this year according to the Leinster fixtures. Surprised it took so long with the success of the JSC they've hosted for the last number of years. With my handicap wavering dangerously between 3 and 4, I hope to play one or the other. Ditto with Carlow, a brilliant course and one of my favourites.

Laytown and Bettystown, Dundalk, Lucan and anywhere else that have 36 holes will get a look in from me. TopGolfer events are good as well, free balls and a nice touch of prestige about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Looking forward to another match up, Reganovski. €60 is a touch steep, so maybe we'll put 50 cent on the outcome!!

50 cent!!!....not sure I could stretch to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Are all senior cups up to 4 and Junior 5-9?

some junior scratches do 4-9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

TRS30 wrote: »
    Are all senior cups up to 4 and Junior 5-9?

Not quite, approx 1/4 of Junior events are 4-9. The majority are 5-9.

Similarly, you might not get into a few of the bigger Senior Scratch Cups off a 4 handicap.

4 has traditionally been known as "no mans land" for this reason. Though in recent years, anywhere between 1 and 4 is pretty much a "no mans land", at least when it comes to Championships.

Not so bad if you're u18 or u21, where I think 3ish will still get you into most events.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Not quite, approx 1/4 of Junior events are 4-9. The majority are 5-9.

Similarly, you might not get into a few of the bigger Senior Scratch Cups off a 4 handicap.

4 has traditionally been known as "no mans land" for this reason. Though in recent years, anywhere between 1 and 4 is pretty much a "no mans land", at least when it comes to Championships.

Not so bad if you're u18 or u21, where I think 3ish will still get you into most events.

I thought the majority are 5-10?

I know Topgolfer is 5-9 but if you are 10 you can still play in the JSC.

Reganovski wrote: »
    I thought the majority are 5-10?

I know Topgolfer is 5-9 but if you are 10 you can still play in the JSC.

Sorry, I wasn't paying much attention to the high bracket. Was talking about the 4/5 part.

Yeah, I think even if some are listed as 9, you'd rarely be turned away as a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

It depends on the course, and the demand. Some places will take 5 even 6 handicappers in a senior scratch. Just to fill the spaces.
    Same can be said for the junior scratch 10 and 11 handicappers can get in sometimes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Some scratch golfers now in no mans land as the West cut off likely to be around 0.1 or 0.2 this year. (0.3 last year and these cut offs are not getting any higher lately)

Was just on the GUI website and are only about 6/7 Junior Scratch Cups listed. Is this all there is or is there a full list somewhere else?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was just on the GUI website and are only about 6/7 Junior Scratch Cups listed. Is this all there is or is there a full list somewhere else?

Fixture lists are still being made. All the clubs wont have their lists in till february.

We're doing our one in athlone next week

Fixture lists are still being made. All the clubs wont have their lists in till february.

Ah ok, thanks Ricky, will check again towards the end of February.

Need to get the double weekends in the calendar early.

Lot of clubs will finalise their calendars over the next few weeks I'd say. Will depend on AGMs, etc. Looking forward to seeing all the fixtures when they are out on the GUI Website.

The list usually doesn't complete itself until April. There'll be regular events added between now and mid-Feb, with a trickle of late additions there after.

I'm not sure when the Top Golfer list goes live, but the first event is usually around early April, and they'll have 30 or so scratch cups scheduled for the year when they do go live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

new qualifying system for the west this yr

http://gui.ie/home/news/new-format-for-west.aspx?feed=GUINewsFeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Is it Grange Castle or Castle that are hosting Jnr Cup qualifying? GUI website has it as Castle celebrating Centenary hosting JC qualifying but the draw has Grange Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Is it Grange Castle or Castle that are hosting Jnr Cup qualifying? GUI website has it as Castle celebrating Centenary hosting JC qualifying but the draw has Grange Castle.
    One would assume its Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

The list usually doesn't complete itself until April. There'll be regular events added between now and mid-Feb, with a trickle of late additions there after.

I'm not sure when the Top Golfer list goes live, but the first event is usually around early April, and they'll have 30 or so scratch cups scheduled for the year when they do go live.
    Topgolfer schedule should be out next month. One of the proposed changes I've heard of for this seasons tour is that event winners no longer automatically qualify for the tour finals event!

Topgolfer schedule should be out next month. One of the proposed changes I've heard of for this seasons tour is that event winners no longer automatically qualify for the tour finals event!

interesting... oom only then? makes sense for tg i guess

No update from Top Golfer yet but I think the clubs are getting their act together on the GUI site with posting up some more fixtures, better start getting the golfing passport stamped by herself!

Could be a busy summer.

top golfer will be publishing their schedule next month

mag wrote: »
    interesting... oom only then? makes sense for tg i guess

I don't disagree with the new rule of winners not getting into the Tour finals.

The best thing about the TG idea, for me, was the plan to highlight regular performance in scratch cups. It hasn't really taken off yet though. While guys definitely seemed to appreciate the events being run better, with better fields and better prizes, the "tour" and "order of merit" still don't get much attention.

Last year, i knew a few guys who didn't bother entering the OOM (costing €35 or there abouts). They just won an event or two, so got into the tour final. The fact that people knew there was winners and good performers not involved in the OOM did take away from the credability of the leaderboard - ie: it was an order of money-payers, not performers.

Then with the rule that you could buy on to the OOM at any stage, and get your points from your round that day (assuming you had a good one), and your previous event, a lot of guys wouldn't bother signing up from the off - just wait and see how they get on.

And the money is a bit much IMO also. I think €35 is what it is.

When you take all those points into account, you can see why it's the one element of an otherwise excellent Top Golfer set up that doesn't quite fly.

My suggestion? Make it so you can only subscribe to the OOM early in the season, and there's no retrospective points (even that day), so you can't play first and decide whether it's worth joining the OOM later. Make it way cheaper, even if it means charging a competition fee for the OOM finals. I think the Druids Glen day was free (?). Either way, whatever the costs involved are that are driving up this OOM fee, they could be looked at.

There's just too many reasons not to join the OOM at the moment, and with money so tight, people will find ways around it.

Worth saying that I'm a huge supporter of TG and play a number of events a year, so any negatives above are purely meant to be constructive. They're actually very good at reading the forums and their own channels of feedback, and taking the workable aspects on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Hoping to see a few more of the Top Golfer events in the Munster area. I'm from Cork and felt at junior scratch cup level there wasn't that many available within a reasonable distance. I played in two Cork & Dromoland. Hopefully will make it to a few more this year.

• Advertisement

the oom fee pays for the tour playoffs / final afaik, think they had 100ish last year who coughed up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement