Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Christmas Tree recycling points discontinued by Fingal

Options
  • 11-01-2013 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Have lived in Waterville for 9 years now. Always took our Christmas tree across the road to the collection point in Corduff. Went to do that today and discovered it's no longer there, and there are only 2 points now covering all of Blanchardstown and Castleknock, millennium park and Coolmine recycling Depot.

When was this decided? Why was it not publicised? I presume it's a cost thing but other Fingal areas still have multiple collection points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm in favour of anything that discourages the use of real trees. Killing a tree to hang lights and decorations on it for 2-3 weeks is a complete waste. Buy a fake tree and it will last for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm in favour of anything that discourages the use of real trees. Killing a tree to hang lights and decorations on it for 2-3 weeks is a complete waste. Buy a fake tree and it will last for years.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason they've done this ;) btw the manufacturing process for artificial trees is even less environmentally friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think I read research over Christmas saying how real Christmas trees are more environmentally friendly.

I think they're euthanised in a way they don't feel pain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There not wild ,free range trees. They are a cash crop that is harvested at 7-10 year intervals that are re planted and provide a number of Irish jobs and is an export market apparently.

Also if they are shredded and used for mulch by the COCO's it will help to lock away carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

athtrasna wrote: »

When was this decided? Why was it not publicised? I presume it's a cost thing but other Fingal areas still have multiple collection points.

The sign at Laurel Lodge / Carpenterstown Road said it was discontinued because of vandalism. I remember last year, some of the trees left lying out overnight were being set fire to.

• Advertisement

I noted about 10 trees dumped at the usual collection point on Auburn avenue this morning. It's almost understandable, people could carry the tree there without having to get it into the car. Getting a dry tree into a car, without that netting they put on trees when you buy them, is not easy. I expect this decision will lead to more dumping of trees.

I noted about 10 trees dumped at the usual collection point on Auburn avenue this morning. It's almost understandable, people could carry the tree there without having to get it into the car. Getting a dry tree into a car, without that netting they put on trees when you buy them, is not easy. I expect this decision will lead to more dumping of trees.

Yeah a few trees are being dumped at the Carpenterstown Road site too despite the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The notion that you have to have or use a car to recycle is bloody stupid tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Real and dead Christmas tree's is an awful waste. Just saying.

PS: there was a collection point at Corduff last week, at the usual spot, but obviously removed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Why don't you just cut it up in a few pieces and chuck it into the brown bin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's what I done last year, they cut up fairly easy so got mine into the brown bin handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

These trees are purposely grown in managed and controlled forests that act as carbon sinks. More Co2 and destruction is caused by fake trees.

ted1 wrote: »
    These trees are purposely grown in managed and controlled forests that act as carbon sinks. More Co2 and destruction is caused by fake trees.

I get your point. But how about using the same artificial tree for, say, 10 years?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Why don't you just cut it up in a few pieces and chuck it into the brown bin?

We don't have Brown bins in Waterville and trees not allowed in general bins

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

T-Maxx wrote: »

I get your point. But how about using the same artificial tree for, say, 10 years?
    Real tree still acts as carbon sink, gets mulched to use as natural fertiliser. Better than paving over forest to build fake tree factory

The way I see it:

Carbon footprint (one artificial tree used for 10 years) < Carbon footprint (real tree every year)

Just like that of a 15 year old car doing normal mileage < brand new "green" car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Morag wrote: »
    The notion that you have to have or use a car to recycle is bloody stupid tbh.

You try bring your tree on the 39 ;)

So, environmental issues aside, the sign in Laurel lodge is the only local notice?

Saw another sign this afternoon on Auburn Ave. You can't miss it, it's the one with the mountain of old christmas trees dumped behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Have lived in Waterville for 9 years now. Always took our Christmas tree across the road to the collection point in Corduff. Went to do that today and discovered it's no longer there, and there are only 2 points now covering all of Blanchardstown and Castleknock, millennium park and Coolmine recycling Depot.

I was going to drop my tree off at the Corduff collection point too until I noticed it didn't exist, went to the Millenium Park instead. There were at least 4 CoCo staff there (two working the shredder, one helping to remove trees from cars and one with a leaf blower to keep the place tidy). In fairness they were doing a great job - the tree was out of the car almost as soon as I'd parked.

It makes sense that if they had trees burnt previously that they would now use gated collection points and shred/collect immediately, rather than have piles of trees on open areas. A bit of publicity about this would have helped though.

• Advertisement

I've seen the council report..thanks to a very helpful Councillor who may be related to a frequent poster on the D15 forum. It appears residents asked the council to move the points due to trees being set on fire as mentioned by someone earlier in the thread. The council agreed to this BUT said the changes would be widely publicised. They failed to do this, and it has led to trees being dumped at the old sites. It will be interesting to hear what they say when they review this in a future meeting.

Advertisement