Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUYA console... anyone know much about??

Options
  • 11-01-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi seen some info on this and quite caught my eye..

anyone been following this? or anyone techy know much about its capabilities??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Topic on it awhile ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79660665

I actually did pledge some money initially but after a week of thinking about it decided to remove my pledge. Sounds great in theory but there were various problems that said flop after careful consideration:
    1) Initial install base (~60,000) is too small IMO to convince people to port their existing android games to work with a controller and on a HD TV
    2) They had very little details finalised and were being very vague about things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I did put the money down for one, figuring at worst it'll be a nice-looking emulator and media player. There are other android 'console's in the works too, like nvidia's project shield and the usb stick sized kickstarter, so hopefully there should be an increase in controller oriented games for android, if not ouya specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I backed this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

Made with better components than OUYA.

Also made by playjam. Anyone remember playing there games on sky interactive about ten years ago? Slot machines and some sort of ball and paddle game with eskimos in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

That caught my eye if only because when I travel for work I can throw that in my bag and play on the TV in my hotel room but still being cautious (my 3DS and Wii U will do me for a while anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

First review out for it from The Verge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Benzino wrote: »
    First review out for it from The Verge

Id wait till actual game press get their hands on it before taking any reviews seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

how does the OUYA rate in the grand scheme of things here? worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not really. The controller is supposed to be worse than awful and the games just aren't there. Might be an option for emulation but even then, you can get get a Wii for next to nothing to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

how does the OUYA rate in the grand scheme of things here? worth looking at?

you'd be better off with a wii. the support for it is falling way back and they're moving the software to other platforms now - i.e. phones and tablets. A nice idea, but probably executed at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got one and it turned into just an XBMC centre that didnt even work properly, thankfully sold it on without loosing any money.

I'd stay away tbh, was pretty rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

TheDoc wrote: »
    Got one and it turned into just an XBMC centre that didnt even work properly, thankfully sold it on without loosing any money.

I'd stay away tbh, was pretty rubbish

I've one that works perfect with xbmc. I also have a Pi but love the speed of the Ouya.

• Isn't this just a glorified android phone turned console?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

AntiRip wrote: »
    I've one that works perfect with xbmc. I also have a Pi but love the speed of the Ouya.

I'm the same , couldn't be happier with it , even my wife and daughters can use it when they wouldn't even go near the Pi , which reminds me I must get on and sell it on Adverts .

Advertisement