Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshop selecting tools question...

• 11-01-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭

So at the moment I'm in the process of trying to prepare some product photos. Basically it's trying to "cut" products out of snap shot photos and place them against a white background. So far it's going well but oh lord is it painstaking as there are lots of curves and uneven textures. I'm using a combination of the main selecting tools in PS, quick selection tool,magnetic lasso,that other one similar to the lasso(?) and then I'm touching up around the edges by painting in selection and erasing it using the selection mask to make it perfect. Does this sound right/normal ?Sometimes I'd be quicker by printing it out,cutting it with a scissors and sticking it on a white card.

Is this how other people go about selecting things in photoshop or am I overlooking some easier quicker option here? Is it generally painstaking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

You need to use the Pen tool/Paths to get the most accurate selection. It'll still take a while though. You can also try using one of the RGB channels to create a mask. A quick search of Google/YouTube will provide you with plenty of tutorials on both of these techniques I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KevinGossRoss

It is generally better to shoot it on a white infinity curve so that you don't have to select the product. But if you get a flow going with the pen tool it can go quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Try using Select>Color Range and then using Refine Mask to grow/shrink and feather the edge. Depending on the source material it can be a nice quick and clean selection.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Learn to use the pen tool effectively. You can draw a better outline and then turn it into a selection (or a mask) by going through refine edge.

The quick selection tool has gotten pretty good when used with refine edge. Many of the pros seem to be promoting it's use these days.

Over all if it's taking you longer to edit the photos than it did to take the photos it may be worth retaking the photos on a white background and editing those photos instead.

Advertisement