Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a job in Canada with limited work experience.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

He was moved on since I was last talking to him,he is now in a place called fort nelson? in B.C.
    I really want to make some serious money and I know I wont make it in Ireland.Where is the best place in Alberta to source some work?

Well tbh work is available everywhere in Alberta. Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton and Fort Mac are all hiring 1000s of people. I can give you a more descriptive answer if you wouldn't mind telling me what you do.

As for 'serious money', you will earn substantially more disposable income everywhere in Alberta. Remember the tax rate in Alberta is locked at 25% meaning it doesn't matter what you earn, you will get taxed the same. I can only talk for jobs in the engineering field but i have heard of one or two people earning $140,000 in Fort McMurray. Remember tho the tax and the fact there is nothing to do in Fort Mac meaning your disposable income (if you're diligent) at the end of one year could amount to several years earnings back home. I'll prob do it for the year before i come home, pay the aul down payment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

jiminho wrote: »
    Well tbh work is available everywhere in Alberta. Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton and Fort Mac are all hiring 1000s of people. I can give you a more descriptive answer if you wouldn't mind telling me what you do.

As for 'serious money', you will earn substantially more disposable income everywhere in Alberta. Remember the tax rate in Alberta is locked at 25% meaning it doesn't matter what you earn, you will get taxed the same. I can only talk for jobs in the engineering field but i have heard of one or two people earning $140,000 in Fort McMurray. Remember tho the tax and the fact there is nothing to do in Fort Mac meaning your disposable income (if you're diligent) at the end of one year could amount to several years earnings back home. I'll prob do it for the year before i come home, pay the aul down payment ;)

Going through the web, most places seem to keep referring to Fort Mac?(but hear mainly bad things),suspose no such thing as easy money. Where is the best places to look for work in Alberta any particular sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

I would advise you to stay well clear of fort mcmurry its meant to be very bad and the cost of living is huge why don't you just work in the likes of Edmonton or Calgary you will still make a load of money and the cost of living is cheaper then fort mcmurry and your lifestyle will be a lot better..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

Man Jiminho (haha class username)

Have you got contacts into Fort and such places Jim? Farming with Brother at moment (keeping me sane) but would like to burn it up in fort for couple year too and have a down payment for a business afterwards...Applying for the visa hope to be gonzo outta here by start of Feb. Completed a masters last Sept in purchasing/supply chain so a job in this area would do too. Can you kindly forward on the descriptive answer to me too?

Sound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

The_Poznan wrote: »
    Man Jiminho (haha class username)

Have you got contacts into Fort and such places Jim? Farming with Brother at moment (keeping me sane) but would like to burn it up in fort for couple year too and have a down payment for a business afterwards...Applying for the visa hope to be gonzo outta here by start of Feb. Completed a masters last Sept in purchasing/supply chain so a job in this area would do too. Can you kindly forward on the descriptive answer to me too?

Sound :)

Hey,I hope to be over in the Summer sometime,let us know if ya make it to Fort Mc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 desserdub

i have been offered a job out in the camps in alberta.didnt think the tax was that high.so if im earning 1600 for flat week i will be paying 400 dollars before any other deductions?sure i wuold have to pay prsi and pension aswell.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://www.ees-financial.com/calculators/TakeHomePayCalculator.htm

16 weekly is 3200 biweekly is how most pay goes here

3200 * 26 = 83200

Your take home according to that is $2,329 bi weekly

But that may be lower when other work deductions are taken into account

May not be actually 26 pay periods but pretty close

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Going through the web, most places seem to keep referring to Fort Mac?(but hear mainly bad things),suspose no such thing as easy money. Where is the best places to look for work in Alberta any particular sites?

The other poster is rite in that cost of living is much higher up there but there is literally nothing to do and you're a few hours away from the nearest city, Edmonton. So between that and possibly working in camps (free accommodation), you will earn a lot more up there. As i said, everywhere is doing well but I would go to Calgary.

@The Poznan - I don't really know anything in that field mate and I'm pretty sure a lot of farming comes to a stand still over here for 6 months of the year. If you're up for Fort Mac, just take a welding course and you will get snapped up easy. Btw the visa will take months to get.

@desserdub - How is the tax rate high? Back home you would have a list of other charges on your income, for example prsi which i don't get charged for here. Why would you add pension as well, sure you're going to have to pay that wherever you go and that's the best investment you can make

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

My two cents from living in Vancouver, you will be at a disadvantage here with limited work experience. The economy and job market is better than Ireland but Van is still a small enough place and just like anywhere, those with experience will be favoured above those lacking experience.

From what I've observed, employers are much more interested in experience than a qualification which is something I think all young and recent college grads should bear in mind before deciding to move. Canada is expensive and to get by, you will need to work.

It's easy to believe that the streets are paved with gold in Canada while sitting in Ireland but there are people in Vancouver, where I am, who are worried about the job market here.

Like the poster above me said, moving to Fort Mac is not going to provide you with a life. I have a friend here who moved there for a while and described it as he'll on earth full of savages. And it's not so easy just to walk in to a high paying job with no working experience, no experience living in the harsh climate they have up there and just being completely wet behind the ears. I got to say, I do worry when I see young guys saying they'll move to Fort Mac. It's tough, isolated, expensive wilderness and very different from what most young irish people will capable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ehenness

As for 'serious money', you will earn substantially more disposable income everywhere in Alberta. Remember the tax rate in Alberta is locked at 25% meaning it doesn't matter what you earn, you will get taxed the same.

I'm Canadian, from Alberta, and just would like to correct this. Our provincial income tax is 10% flat.

Federal tax however has four tiers. From Canada Revenue Agency:

15% on the first $43,561 of taxable income, +
    22% on the next $43,562 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $43,561 up to $87,123), +
    26% on the next $47,931 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $87,123 up to $135,054), +
    29% of taxable income over $135,054

You will be taxed both provincial and federal tax as well as having CPP and EI deductions.

It is still true though that Albertans have a high disposable income compared to the rest of Canada. You will make a lot working on the rigs if you don't spend it all on booze and buy a big truck on your week off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 desserdub

what is CPP and EI ehenness and is it much?i will be moving to calgary in spring so would just like to know this?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ehenness

CPP is Canada Pension Plan and EI is Employment Insurance. How much is deducted depends on your income but it is always less than what you pay for income tax. On my paycheck it is less than half of what is deducted for federal income tax.

Also, the first $16,000 you make annually will not be charged provincial income tax. So if you hold a bar/waitressing job not likely you will pay provincial tax.

Enjoy Calgary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Anyone else know much about prospects for graduates with limited work experience? My degree is an honours B.a. in international business and langauges (not French). I just graduated in October and haven't gotten anything yet, though I worked plenty of jobs in school and early on in college. I've a Canadian friend in Nova Scotia who said that Toronto is good for finance and Vancouver for import/export. I'm personally mostly interested in Vancouver but I could open up if there were work.

What I'm really looking for is a chance to show ability and education, an intern position, trainee, or junior something. If I could get experience at home, I wouldn't need to emmigrate.

I don't imagine every profession would demand experience ahead of qualifications. You couldn't hire an unqualified architect who has worked privately here and there, nor a lawyer etc.

Thanks for any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

tony81 wrote: »
    Really bad idea. Toronto is a horrible city for a start. Full of pretentious nobodies. There are so many immigrants crowding out the lower end of the job market that you'll end up sharing a room in chinatown and living on noodles if you don't have a professional qualification.

I think Alberta is probably your best bet.

Moving outside Toronto, to somewhere like Ajax, Whitby, Pickering or Oshawa would mean much lower rent, plus more job opportunities for unskilled people. Tim Hortons should be the first stop for anyone just arrived in the country. You'll get a job there no problem at all, and it's money while you look for something a little bit better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Are there any graduates in Canada who can comment on the thread topic?

I just found another article of interest, this one is about the Canadian minister for immigration, Jason Kenny. Much is made of his trip to Ireland late last year, but he also went to the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/9583522/Canada-woos-unemployed-British-graduates.html

Many (hard-working, well-meaning) non graduates appear to be giving the bleakest advise imaginable. However, the Canadian immigration minister seems to be targeting newly qualified and unemployed graduates particularly. Apparently, not so 'worthless'.

Advertisement