Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying by mods

Options
  • 11-01-2013 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Hi .

Mods have a hard job & do it for free : they can't be always there & do their best.

But surely the point of mods is to not bully the contributors?

There is no " free speech" on Boards - ok- but surely people who disagree with a general point that a mod makes in a thread as a subject contributor ( not in a mod capacity) shouldn't be SCREAMED DOWN and browbeaten repeatedly.

And why are some mods friends allowed to break the charter rules & others barred & bullied because they have a different contributing opinion than the mod & his/her cyber mates.

It's really shocking & disgusting to watch ; on a regular basis.

Reporting appears to do no good nor to solicit a reply - even after a week; or weeks.

Surely boards isn't just for cyber bullies & subject nazis.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's on a regular basis, you should be able to give specific examples.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from the Help Desk to Feedback with redirect expiring in 14 days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Unless you are able to supply us with links to examples of what you are talking about OP, there is nothing to be gained by this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

In all honesty OP there isn't a lot of that any more. Unless you have examples as has been said.

Boards has sort of out grown even the cliques as it is to big and the "little" people shout a lot louder now due to numbers. The past thing of circling the wagon is hard to do.

Which is kinda cool :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

PC CDROM wrote: »
    In all honesty OP there isn't a lot of that any more.

The past thing of circling the wagon is hard to do.
    This is true. The days of making general blanket accusation statements are long gone. That is what the Help Desk or the Dispute Resolution Forums are for. Accusations have to be backed up with proof and evidence, which is then investigated to determine if there is any substance to the grievance.

If you have comments or observations to share about how forum X is being run due to:
    some mods friends allowed to break the charter rules & others barred & bullied because they have a different contributing opinion than the mod & his/her cyber mates
    ...then you post your Feedback here citing instances of this alleged behaviour.

If you have clearly uncovered what you appear to be describing as inconsistent moderating in one or a number of forums, then that is a matter for the site administrators to address.

If you have examples of inconsistent modding, now would be the time and place to show us where this is happening. If you are more comfortable talking about this privately, you can always drop me a PM, or if you want to go public, then the stage is all yours!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bear in mind, if you're not comfortable discussing issues with the local mods, there are also CMods who you can raise concerns about specific forums within their remit with

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Please be advised Admin has expressed a concern about bullying on the net, including what may occur on boards. That is why there is a rather informative thread on this Feedback forum started by LoLth to discuss this issue called "Request For Feedback: Bullying." You may wish to read it. Bullying problems are discussed, as well as solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just my 2c on it:
    I have NEVER seen a mod bully a member on their forum. I've never even seen a mod talk anybody down just because they can.
    In general, the mods on the site are very fair, and a decent group of guys and girls.
    Since the OP hasn't so far been able to provide solid evidence or links to such events, then I'd be skeptical as to whether this is even an issue tbh. It seems more like a poster has gotten their nose out of joint over an issue and, in the heat of the moment, has accused mods of bullying because they feel hard done by.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How can you scream down someone in a turn-taking, text-based medium?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How can you scream down someone in a turn-taking, text-based medium?
    Figuratively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Just my 2c on it:
    I have NEVER seen a mod bully a member on their forum. I've never even seen a mod talk anybody down just because they can.
    In general, the mods on the site are very fair, and a decent group of guys and girls.
    Since the OP hasn't so far been able to provide solid evidence or links to such events, then I'd be skeptical as to whether this is even an issue tbh. It seems more like a poster has gotten their nose out of joint over an issue and, in the heat of the moment, has accused mods of bullying because they feel hard done by.

This is a big site with lots of mods and posters, just because you have not seen it does not mean it has never happened, not saying it has but you cannot say for sure it has never happened, can you?
    Don't forget bullying via PM is possible as it's private, not many posters/mods confront each other on thread.

It's not fair to write the OP off like you are doing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As the OP has deserted the thread for some 16 days and provided no examples, I think we can say they've written it off themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Yes maybe so but it's naive to say bullying never happens, what you might think is bullying i might not and vica versa.

HondaSami wrote: »

This is a big site with lots of mods and posters, just because you have not seen it does not mean it has never happened, not saying it has but you cannot say for sure it has never happened, can you?
    Don't forget bullying via PM is possible as it's private, not many posters/mods confront each other on thread.

It's not fair to write the OP off like you are doing imo.

Of course it is possible. I just said that I personally haven't witnessed it.
    I'm not writing off the OP's allegations whatsoever. All I said was they have yet to provide any proof of the alleged bullying by mods.
    The report post button is there for a reason, and it should be used if a poster feels the need to. And if the report goes unanswered, then they can also pm any local mod or Cmod and explain the situation.
    If this is a real problem like the OP is suggesting, then I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to provide links to threads/posts where this has happened.
    Nobody is shooting down the OP here. People are merely asking to be shown where this has happened so it can be looked at.

HondaSami wrote: »
    Yes maybe so but it's naive to say bullying never happens, what you might think is bullying i might not and vica versa.

I just want to clarify that in no way did I say bullying doesn't happen. It does. And it's a serious issue that is currently being looked at closely by the mods, as is evident by the massive thread on bullying.
    I was just saying an example of "mod on poster" bullying should be given before making, so far, baseless accusations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Over two weeks and the OP has not come back with any examples.
    As we already have a thread on bullying, I'm closing this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement