Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a NAS?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Need to get a NAS for backing up.

Ideally a RAID configuration with 2 mirrored disks. 500GB per disk would be more than enough.

Can anyone make any recommendations? I'd prefer to buy a whole unit and not build one as it's not for me, I just want something completely hassle free.

I had a Snap Server in the past and quite liked them... maybe stick with it? Or are there better value options out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I got this from the mrs for Christmas

http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-readynas-nv--v2--4-bay----no-drives-included-7SLK.html

You can get a two bay version on the same site for around 130.

2 weeks in and it works like perfect. Great for backup and storing all your media

http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-readynas-nv--v2--4-bay----no-drives-included-7SLK.html

2 weeks in and it works like perfect. Great for backup and storing all your media

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

T-K-O wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Can you recommend any hard-drives in the 500GB region that'd suit a 2 disk configuration? I guess any SATA hard drive would do.... let the shopping begin :p

Yea, Sata 3.5" x 1/3H.

WD have drives specifically for NAS, they are about 30/40 more expensive. Bit of a gimmick if you ask me. Especially if you are using them for backup / streaming

I think this was the one I got
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-1tb-green-sata-6gb-s-64mb-3-5--hard-drive-7Y09.html?refs=42730000&src=3

Check out this list...

http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,internal-hard-drives/11154-42730000

Cheers, will go with your recommendation, with the 2 x 1 TB drives above. May aswell have plenty of space for future expansion.

Thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

No problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ffocused

Have you considered Synology? They come out on top in most reviews for good reason. I have a 112J & it has never given any trouble since i got it about 5 months ago.

The Synology 212J 2 bay can be got for less then EUR200 without any drives.

I spent a few months researching NAS drives before taking the plunge & i have no regrets with choosing a Synology.

ffocused wrote: »
    Have you considered Synology? They come out on top in most reviews for good reason. I have a 112J & it has never given any trouble since i got it about 5 months ago.

The Synology 212J 2 bay can be got for less then EUR200 without any drives.

I spent a few months researching NAS drives before taking the plunge & i have no regrets with choosing a Synology.

Not going to order until the weekend so will check out some reviews in the morning. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've ordered a Xyzel NSA325 last week.

But Dabs shows them as out of stock now... but they were €101.78 last week. ( diskless )

Edit: I see they're in stock shipped with a disk Dabs NSA325 with 2 x 1TB for €294.25

I haven't received it yet so I can't give a real user review, but liked the media server, web server, ability to add new apps and that it's unrooted so you can add your own linux apps to it on the 1.6Ghz processor.

So it takes 2 SATA disks, 1 USB 3 and 2 USB 2 ports.

Just throwing it out there as another option.

TKO - I went with your recommendation (Got the 4 bay version you linked to above, incase we want to install more HDD's in future)

I also bought the 1TB HDD's

Can you advise if SATA Power/Data cables came with the product? (either the NAS or the HDD themselves) - can't see any mention of cables being included in the descriptions of either products

• Advertisement

Hi John,

My netgear does everything I want it to, also they are pretty good value IMO.

The disks are hot swappable you do not need any cables.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi John,

My netgear does everything I want it to, also they are pretty good value IMO.

The disks are hot swappable you do not need any cables.

Ah didn't realise they slot in, thought cables were needed. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kosa

Hi,
    I'm looking for 4tb nas. I'll use it mostly for squeezebox touch. 2x2tb - raid 1. Is this good offer?
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-4tb--2-x-2tb--nsa320-2-bay-power-1-2ghz-nas-8D1M.html?q=4tb%20nas&src=16
    The nas will not work all the time, I think 2-3 hours a day.

What do you think about buying second hand nas? something 2-3 years old?
    Thanks

I'm probably an isolated incident, but i've had nothing but problems from the Netgear I bought.

Now it won't even detect disks (I've tried 3).

I've asked them for a refund (I have no faith in a replacement) and will buy an alternative.

My typical bad luck! Now the next thing... has anyone ever dealt with Dabs.ie for returns? I have asked that their own carrier pick it up but I get an error message which continues on to say Dabs will get in touch. Fecked if i'm paying for return postage to the UK for a faulty item

(The HDD's work fine though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kosa wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for 4tb nas. I'll use it mostly for squeezebox touch. 2x2tb - raid 1. Is this good offer?
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-4tb--2-x-2tb--nsa320-2-bay-power-1-2ghz-nas-8D1M.html?q=4tb%20nas&src=16
    The nas will not work all the time, I think 2-3 hours a day.

What do you think about buying second hand nas? something 2-3 years old?
    Thanks

That looks good, am tempted..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kosa

bought, thanks

Advertisement