Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how long does it take for hair to grow

• 11-01-2013 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Am going to be cutting 10 inches off my hair to bring it down to my ears( i know its that long) and am wondering how long does hair grow in a year so if i ever wnated to bring it back to its original state how long would it take

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's variable but very roughly about 2cm a month (or approx an inch in old money).

I have heard people say they didn't think their hair grew below a particular length but I don't think there's any actual truth in that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's variable but very roughly about 2cm a month (or approx an inch in old money).

I have heard people say they didn't think their hair grew below a particular length but I don't think there's any actual truth in that.

My hairdresser has that problem. And she knows her stuff.

OP how about cutting it shorter gradually instead?

It could take years to grow hair for ear length to hip length I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I agree it's variable but I've heard it's about 1/2 that. 6 inches/year is what I've been told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I had my hair cut to about an inch below shoulder length in January 2009, in about October 2012 (with growing the choppy layers out, and several trims later) it was waist length (just below my elbows when I put in down my back).

I did notice some "bursts" of growth, but sometimes when it gets a few inches past your shoulders, it's impossible to tell if it is growing (unless you measure it and record the length or something on a regular basis)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My hair grows really fast, you can really notice it because when I dye my hair, I have roots one or two weeks later.
    But I have been growing my hair from about July 2009, and it really isn't as long as I would like. In July 09 it was around my shoulders, and now it just reaches my bra strap. I get it trimmed regularly so I don't get split ends, so it is in good condition. I just hoped it would have been longer by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think it's different for everyone.
    Also, if your hair is damaged at the ends (eg. Split ends, Hair Dye damage) then the ends may snap off, causing it not to grown in length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I had a bob to just below my ears in Oct 2008.
    January 2013 and my hair comes just below my armpits, that's with a trim every 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As a guy, I found head hair tends to not grow as fast (when I was hoping it to grow long), and maybe two inches a year. Facial hair grows at about the same rate.

But a kettle watched doesn't boil, etc, so it really depends on how much they're keeping a record of it growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Everyone is different. My hair grows like its on steroids, my gf's never seems to- and no, she's not going for haircuts more than me!!!

Advertisement