Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

melted ceiling of a microwave

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

my microwves ceiling has become melted and the plastic is bulging out.could this have been caused by a burnt popcorn bag or just general wear and tear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

my microwves ceiling has become melted and the plastic is bulging out.could this have been caused by a burnt popcorn bag or just general wear and tear

Likely caused by something that was very hot up against it or near it, and a popcorn bag is a good candidate for that alright.

It might have happened over a period of time and only noticed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

It may have been caused by something hot up against it but this would be unlikely as it would have been designed withstand that for short periods.
    It could also have been caused by a fault.
    Either way its time to get rid of it and get a replacement because regardless of how it happened its not worth taking a risk on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

TPM wrote: »
    It may have been caused by something hot up against it but this would be unlikely as it would have been designed withstand that for short periods.
    It could also have been caused by a fault.
    Either way its time to get rid of it and get a replacement because regardless of how it happened its not worth taking a risk on

Id say myself that hot items are not usually in contact with the non metalic linings through which the microwaves are transmitted, and as such, dont get heated much at all during use.

What usually damages them is possible contact with hot items, or more likely, grease build up which then gets very hot during use. I used plastic plates in the microwave for heating beans etc many times, without a problem, but popping popcorn that comes in them microwave popcorn bags, has distorted them nicely.

Probably best to just get a new one now alright, but if the plastic liner is not too distorted, clean the inside of the microwave and if it still heats items normally, it might be ok for a while yet.

Advertisement