Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions about this as a tattoo?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I've seen threads like this throughout the forum, but I didn't want to take from the other OP's idea as per say so hopefully making a new one will be grand!

So it's a portrait, an upper thigh piece. The idea behind this was to get it done in parts, start with the lines then colour done in two parts. Obviously at the size I'm talking (about an average hand long), it could be done in one sitting. But basically, it would be used as a motivational thing for college. Do well in exams, get another piece type thing.

Another part of the story is that my best friend is also doing this. And she's not just getting any tattoo, she's getting the best friend of the character I'd be getting.

We talked to the lads at Spilled Ink and they discussed how it'd be easier to do in one go, fading, base charges etc, but that's not a serious issue. I emailed the artist too and he said he was delighted it was being used, and to mail pictures.

Basically, I'm not sure if this is a stupid teenage decision that I'll regret. In the picture below, I'd be getting the guy in the fox mask and she'd be getting the dog in the top hat.

Any commentary is appreciated!

tumblr_md3hydltFY1rk3p0fo2_500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

to each his/her own. I'm pretty sure some people pull the piss out of me for my tattoos. but i like them so thats all i care about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

We can't tell you if you'll regret it or not, because everyone feels differently about their tattoos. What I can tell you is that I've never regretted any of mine, even ones I have that other people might not particularly like!

The tattoo itself - it's hard to say what it'd look like when you've just shown us what looks like a comic cover. I'd imagine once it's drawn up properly, it could look really well on the thigh.

Absolutely nothing against the lads in Spilled Ink, but if the tatts are going to be in colour, have you checked out Colourworks? Rob Mulligan is great for coloured tattoos.

Like you were told in Spilled Ink, it WILL be easier to get it done in one sitting. I can understand why you want it done in numerous sittings, and pricing obviously isn't an issue or you wouldn't want it in numerous sittings, but I'm presuming you've never had a tattoo before? They're a pain in the backside to heal, seriously. Also bear in mind that it takes a couple of months for a tattoo to heal well enough to add to, generally, so you're facing a pretty long wait before the tattoo is finished, healed and looking at its best!

I think it could look good if drawn up properly. :) Like I said, we can't really know if you'll regret it, but I personally avoid tattoos that have any connection to friends or a partner in case of a fall out at a later date!

Best of luck! Post a pic when it's done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭anBoMor

LyndaMcL, this has to be by miles better than any answer I was expecting, thank you so much!

I have to say, you were right on the money halfway through there. Is it that obvious I have no tattoos? :') I'm not going to lie though, the healing time was completely taken into account. With the whole college/motivation idea, we'd only really be getting parts done once summer exam results are out.

I hadn't heard of Colourworks, but I'll definitely check them out now! I've a lot of friends who're big fans of Paul and Anto so they were top of my list to check. I live round the corner too, so it's also the lazy option ahaha.

I will say, other than it's from the same piece and the same idea is behind it, we're not linking this together at all. We're very much focusing on "Do you want to not fail? Yeah same. Cool, what if we..", if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

As much as you say it will be a motivation for college, so that if you do well you will get more done I can't see you leaving it just the outline if you don't do well in college. You want the tattoo and there is no harm in that, you don't have to use it as a reward for college. Give the artists the best chance they have to make it look as good as they can, so if they say it's best to do in one sitting you can be sure it's a good reason for it. I like the look of the picture and think it could translate well to a tattoo but might have to change some of the colours. I'd be another vote for Rob or Darren in colourworks, definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd be of the same opinion as the others regarding the multiple sittings and the motivation. Lets say, god forbid, that you didn't do well in your exams after getting the outline done. Are you really going to leave it as just the outline?

If you want to keep as a motivational tool then I would say, get the full tattoo as your reward if you do well in the exams. You can keep this up through the years because if there's one thing I can tell you about tattos it's that you will want more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Tbh this piece looks like the style of the lads in Spilled ink.

I'd say for sure go get this in as few sittings as possible. Even if time isn't an issue it'll work out cheaper to get in a single sitting + healing tattoos is horrible.

anBoMor wrote: »
    LyndaMcL, this has to be by miles better than any answer I was expecting, thank you so much!

I have to say, you were right on the money halfway through there. Is it that obvious I have no tattoos? :') I'm not going to lie though, the healing time was completely taken into account. With the whole college/motivation idea, we'd only really be getting parts done once summer exam results are out.

I hadn't heard of Colourworks, but I'll definitely check them out now! I've a lot of friends who're big fans of Paul and Anto so they were top of my list to check. I live round the corner too, so it's also the lazy option ahaha.

I will say, other than it's from the same piece and the same idea is behind it, we're not linking this together at all. We're very much focusing on "Do you want to not fail? Yeah same. Cool, what if we..", if that makes sense?

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, it was a little bit obvious that it's your first, but that's all good, we all started somewhere and you've obviously put a lot of thought into it, so fair play. :)

Don't take the lazy option! I'm not saying to avoid Spilled Ink, as they're quite good, but check portfolios online before you choose, to make sure you like the style of what the artist you choose does. Your friends may love Paul and Anto, but make sure they do the style that you want, too. :)

Tbh, I disagree with the others saying not to do it in pieces for motivational purposes. I got one of my tatts as a 'reward' for something, and I had to wait 4 years to get it. :pac: But I would agree with maybe getting it all done in one sitting after the exams, rather than in bits and pieces. That way, you still have the motivation to do well, but you won't be wandering around with just an outline if you do badly, and it'll be cost efficient, time efficient and healing will be easier as you'll only have to go through one period of healing. :)

As for the regret thing. Ehh.. Like. If it's done properly and looks nice, you won't regret it even if you go off the idea of it. I find, not taking tattoos too seriously helps a lot as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Jurg banned for two weeks for personal abuse/trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jurg banned for two weeks for personal abuse/trolling.

Now that impressive moderating :D, read the thread click back new post user banned ninja moderating.

• Advertisement

Now that impressive moderating :D, read the thread click back new post user banned ninja moderating.

He had me reporting it, too.

Fast mod action, oh yeah. :D

All his posts on other forums were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, probably a re-regged troll. I smell a site-ban in their future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

So it's a portrait, an upper thigh piece. The idea behind this was to get it done in parts, start with the lines then colour done in two parts. Obviously at the size I'm talking (about an average hand long), it could be done in one sitting. But basically, it would be used as a motivational thing for college. Do well in exams, get another piece type thing.

As others have said, that's a nice idea but not a good way to do it. One session and you'll avoid awkward healing times, fading, uneven colours etc. Plus you might end up never going back for one reason or another (speaking from experience) and end up with an unfinished tattoo for a long time, which is a bit crap to deal with!
    Another part of the story is that my best friend is also doing this. And she's not just getting any tattoo, she's getting the best friend of the character I'd be getting.

Very cool. I think going together and getting 'em done at the same time is the best idea. What if she ended up never finishing hers or vice versa? Be a bit lame!
    We talked to the lads at Spilled Ink and they discussed how it'd be easier to do in one go, fading, base charges etc, but that's not a serious issue. I emailed the artist too and he said he was delighted it was being used, and to mail pictures.

Basically, I'm not sure if this is a stupid teenage decision that I'll regret. In the picture below, I'd be getting the guy in the fox mask and she'd be getting the dog in the top hat.

Spilled Ink are great, got a tattoo from Paul there during the summer and I love it. As far as regrets go.. If you're already thinking you'll regret it, then you're probably going to regret it. Think long and hard about it. It's on your thigh so it's not hard to hide if you do decide later you hate it. Nobody here can tell you if it's a good or bad idea because obviously it means something to you. But like froth said, dont take it too seriously! If you end up hating the show or the style or anything else, you'll always have the good memory from when and why you chose it.

I don't regret any of my tattoos, there's changes I would have made in choice of artist, colours etc in one but I'll be having that fixed up eventually. There'll be people who love your tattoo and people who will make sure to tell you they hate it. If you love it then these people will not phase you.

Advertisement