Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 3G connectivity in Ireland.

• 11-01-2013 6:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering buying an iPad here in Japan. Now, i have concerns about Japanese iPads being locked in terms of 3G - some people have told me that after leaving Japan, the iPad is unusable in terms of 3G anywhere else, but that's a problem at the Japanese end i suppose.

I'll possibly/probably be moving back to Ireland in about 14 months, and while the 3G connectivity in Japan is superb, I'm wondering if it is good in Ireland.

As well as that, how widespread is free wifi in Ireland (outside the home), and how easy do Irish internet provides make it to connect to a portable device from home broadband internet?

I'm hoping some people will have some infor for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

3G all depends on location. Also I think Japan use a different network than us so I don't know if a gsm sim will work in it. Look at the specs for the iPad and if it says GSM it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

I use my 3G on my phone and turn on hotspot. My ipad can then pick up that signal via wifi. 3G is easy enough to get with a phone package but can be difficult to get on its own for, hence I just went for the wifi model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering buying an iPad here in Japan. Now, i have concerns about Japanese iPads being locked in terms of 3G - some people have told me that after leaving Japan, the iPad is unusable in terms of 3G anywhere else, but that's a problem at the Japanese end i suppose.

I'll possibly/probably be moving back to Ireland in about 14 months, and while the 3G connectivity in Japan is superb, I'm wondering if it is good in Ireland.

As well as that, how widespread is free wifi in Ireland (outside the home), and how easy do Irish internet provides make it to connect to a portable device from home broadband internet?

I'm hoping some people will have some infor for me.

You're right in that Japan is unique in locking iPads -this was widely-documented at launch.

In the meantime you should explore official avenues of having it unlocked.

Advertisement