Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy New Beers - Saturday 2nd Feb

Options
  • 11-01-2013 9:51am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been meaning to do this for a while, so let's get the ball rolling.

It's almost mid-January, at which point it's customary to become depressed upon realising that last payday was a long long time ago and next payday is still sufficiently far far away as to be, psychologically speaking, in a different galaxy.

Take heart, for the next Beers is also coming up soon. Since the last outing was a Northern affair, I'm going to suggest we keep this one nice and central. I'm also going to suggest we go for non-burger/meat-based food, though I've not yet looked around to pick anywhere in particular.

I suggest either The Royal George or The Ship & Shovell (aka Old Reliable). I'll see what food places are nearby; if all else fails I know there's a Wagamama within 5-10 minutes walk of either spot, but it would be nice to be a bit more adventurous.

A poll is attached to keep track of who's in. Any suggestions for food or beverage-related venues, please post them up. If you've not been to a Beers before, PM me so we can swap numbers and I'll keep you posted in the event of any change of plans.

Are you coming to the Beers on February 2nd? 14 votes

Yes
    0%
    No (please post excuses or abject pleading for forgiveness in the thread)
    100%
    biZrbWodenblondie83FyshPlayboyphilologosJack B. Baddfluke83stesilvervixen84frag420ballsymchughReekwindWoolly_Jumper 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I should be able to make hopefully. I like the look of the Royal George... nice selection of drinks and a good menu. Great location too as plenty other bars on the doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I'll be out all day Six Nationing (it's a word!) on the 2nd so, bearing in mind what I did at the end of the last boards beers/my birthday, I'm going to say maybe

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll be out all day Six Nationing (it's a word!) on the 2nd so, bearing in mind what I did at the end of the last boards beers/my birthday, I'm going to say maybe

Was it better than losing a game of chicken to a lamppost before you'd even made it to the pub?

Because if not, I demand that you suitman up, stop making excuses, and attend! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Great! Looking forward to it......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm in London that weekend..

.. would I be welcome?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Basq wrote: »
    I'm in London that weekend..

.. would I be welcome?! :D

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

All going good and I have landed a job then I look forward to meeting you guys on the beers!!

Il keep you posted

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Yay!! Feb beers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'll be there with bells on*!

(*bells may or may not actually exist)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I'm here the following weekend :( boo :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

blondie83 wrote: »
    I'll be there with bells on*!

(*bells may or may not actually exist)

Bells will be expected, nay, demanded if you turn up.

I realise as I type this that this is most likely to dissuade you from turning up, but what the hell - go big or go home, I say. Where by "big" I mean "adorned with bells".
    Misticles wrote: »
    I'm here the following weekend :( boo :P

You're just a big Beers-tease, you are :P Maybe we'll catch you at the next one so.

A reminder: the next Beers outing is this coming Saturday. There has been talk of merging the next Cinemania outing with the Beers by venturing to the 1pm Antiviral show at the Prince Charles, prior to getting food. Post here if you're interested, the timeline is roughly as follows:
    • ~12:45: Meet outside PCC
    • 3/3:30: Exit PCC, kill time somewhere
    • 5:30 ~ 6: Go for food
    • 7:30 ~ 8: Go to Royal George/Ship and Shovell, commence Operation: Can Haz Beverages

As for food, I'm still open to suggestions and trying to find us veggie-friendly options. Thus far I've got:
    • Andalucia Tapas Bar - in no way whatsoever chosen because I am always happy to go for Spanish food. Nope. Not at all.
    • Cape Town Fish Market - Not exactly veggie-friendly, but still, good seafood works for me.
    • Wagamama - Wagamama, not particularly adventurous but dependably decent (and cheap) eats for all

If you've got suggestions for food places, or just want to let us know you're coming along, post and say so. I'll be following up with text messages for those who've confirmed they're coming later in the week - if you haven't been to a Beers before, PM me your number so that I can let you know of any last-minute changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

rugby can fill that gap if you're into cheering on the sweet chariot, or whoever they're playing more like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Two activities on the same day? Madness, I say!

I should be there from food o'clock onwards. I haven't been to a tapas place in a while so that sounds like fun

I'm not sure I'm going to make it for the movie but will be there for food. Antiviral sounds nuts so I'll see if I can get out of something so I can make it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Royal George > Ship & Shovell

Not going to go to the movie, undecided about the food yet but will be out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Should make the beers. Will get back to ya on the foods

frag420 wrote: »
    All going good and I have landed a job then I look forward to meeting you guys on the beers!!

Il keep you posted

frAg

Guess il be going to my first London Boards Beers!!

frag420 wrote: »
    Guess il be going to my first London Boards Beers!!

Congrats! Beverages are on you on Saturday night so :P

Fysh wrote: »

Congrats! Beverages are on you on Saturday night so :P

Eh....uh......when I get first pay cheque il get a round in ha ha!

• Advertisement

Wait...beverages you say eh?
    I spot a loophole looking to be exploited here!!

Barkeep...a round of your finest orange cordial for my friends please!!

I should have been a politician!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'll be there for the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hey! I'm hoping to make it for food and beers. Look forward to catching up with you all :)

Oooh, and my vote is with the fish restaurant (although that can be a bit divisive), so tapas would be good too.....or come to think of it Wagamamas is fine as well.....God, I'm very easily pleased!

Il have to pass up on my first london beers as have to go to Cardiff on short notice...........something about rugby I think!

See you all soon fo sho!!

frAg

So have we decided on food yet? I'm going to give the movie a miss and watch the rugby instead.

I tried Burger and Lobster on Cheapside yesterday and it was great. Only 3 options on the menu and all £20. No ability to mix and match. Makes it very easy when dividing a bill at the end as only the drinks have to be calculated. I didnt have the lobster but the Burger was excellent.. defo one of the best I have had. There is one in Soho too!

Also Pitt Cue Co is supposed to be very good. It used to be van and it was so successful that they started a Restaurant. Its also in Soho and has excellent reviews on timeout... its a first come first served establishment but if we get there early I dont imagine we will have to queue.

http://www.burgerandlobster.com/

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/pitt-cue-co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I should be there for the pub. Do you have any idea as to which we are going to be heading to yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The Royal George would be my vote :)

The Fist Of Modly Powah!! demands that we eat at Cape Town, and go to the Royal George (off Charing Cross Road) rather than Old Reliablethe Ship and Shovell. I'll send texts when we're on our way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Boo

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    Boo

Bigger-Boo.jpg

Or did you mean something else?

Advertisement