Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miracle in Mexico

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

"Neither the fabric ("the support") nor the image (together, "the tilma") has ever been analyzed using the full range of scientific resources available to museum conservationists"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe#Technical_analyses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

the_eman wrote: »
    What do you think of this miracle, its well documented and has been very well examined over many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4Ozm0oENk

Some of my thoughts on it:

1) Why is the image of depicting a white woman & generic image of what is thought to be Mary? Wasn't she of middle Eastern descent? Seems like the image is trying to fit the idea of what Mary looked like, rather than what she actually likely looked like.

2) No undersketch - very unusual & inconceivable that an artist in the 16th century would make a portrait without first doing an undersketch. Unless of course someone wanted to purposely create a fake perhaps?

3) The paper - apparently this type of canvas/paper only lasts 15-30 years normally. Why has it lasted over five hundred years? Hard to say on that front, all I know though is that Renascence era craftsmen & frauds alike, were very very skilled. Is it possible this paper differs in that it has been treated with something to preserve it?

4) A bomb went off in the church but the image wasn't damaged, yet when Nitric acid was spilled on it, it was damaged {though very slight staining is all apparently}. Is it protected by God or not?

5) The stars on the gown - Apparently they're a reverse image of how the constellations looked in the winter Sky, at the time the image was created. They're in reverse as if to say its an outside looking in on the universe from outside it. Again Renaisscance men were very cosmologically aware, I'm sure hidden meanings like this were in a lot of man made works. It in no way shows that this can't be man made, not to me anyway

6) The flowers on Mary's tunic - they apparently correspond to the volcanoes in Mexico. But if you look at a pile of Earth long enough, you'll also find corresponding shapes to things you know.

7) The sunburst, the stars & the moon - On the image they are showing signs of flaking. This happens when paint dries & ages, so its painted then?

8) The hidden image of the bearded man in the eye - I can see many things in the eye depending on what way you look at it. I can see the beared man, but it can also be a man turned sideways, & it can also be a random pattern. It doesn't prove anything to me

9) The changing skin tones - depending on the distance viewed at, the skin tones of Mary change from a South American Hue, to a more European hue. This 'symbolises' the unity of the South Americans & Europeans who had united against the 'diabolical' Aztec culture.

I take it then that Mary approved of the merciless slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Aztecs? I know they were a violent & tribal race, but jeez...arn't we all equal? Couldn't they be 'saved'? It seems to me the likes of the Spanish Inquisition in the name of Catholicism, was just as 'diabolical' as any Aztec practice. I find it hard to believe this is the case for the 'impossible to do by man' changing skin tones. I think its purely the properties of that particular paint on that particular cactus fiber.

10) The narrator suggests that perhaps God gave the picture to Mexico because the Aztec Empire was 'arguably the most wicked culture in Human history'? The narrator has made so wild jumps in conclusions in this video, but thats a true sign of how willing to believe his own drivel he is. There are countless acts of how 'wicked' cultures can be...many of the worst ones carried out in the name of God.

The picture itself is an interesting mystery, & the strangest part to me is how its lasted this long. I'm just not convinced its anything spiritual/paranormal, I'm more convinced in the skills & mastery of Renaissance era artists.

Advertisement