Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone sold at the baby markets?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

House is starting to fall down with stuff no longer used by the babies. I was at a couple of those markets in Cork and Limerick, and they now have one in Tralee I think... I would love to know if it is worth it, cause it is 25 euro to get a stall and Im certainly not in a position to take a gamble. But would like to hear from people who have done it if they actually got rid of a good few things.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A friend of mine did. She sold the higher value items (buggy etc) immediately but the smaller items were harder to sell.

I thinks important to set the asking price to something realistic if you really want to just get rid of things. You mightn't actually make a lot of money. Also be prepared to drop your asking price if you really just want to clear out your home.

I bought a very much preloved gro bag for €5 at one market. I've seen people asking €15 for gro bags in a similar condition just because they're gro bags and they paid €40 for it. It doesn't work like that once they're 2nd hand.

I bought a fantastic mcclaren buggy, again very much preloved but in great condition, for €60. I priced it new at €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Yes you're right, I was thinking of going in with very low prices so thats a bit why I will be hoping there is a good traffic to sell a big quantity rather than at high price.
    I bought a cosatto double buggy, looked like it had never been used, for 10 euro at one of them!
    Im really just hoping to clear out, not make a fortune but maybe a few quid for the next things I need for the tots. Thats my dilemma, just breaking even wouldn't sound really worth it, better give the stuff to charity...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I haven't yet, but I've signed up for a stall at the sligo market at the end of jan, as I have a pile of stuff to get rid of. My problem though is deciding what price to put on things, because I don't want to make them too expensive, but neither do I just want to give stuff away! Also, on the baby clothes, do you think I'm better just to make bundles of baby stuff, say 0 - 3 months, and 3 - 6 months etc, instead of selling items individually, which I'd imagine would be quite difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've sold just about everything on adverts. I usually start at 70% off what I paid for the item and work from there. its not the case that I want to make my money back but say for example I want a new car seat, I just keep selling till I have the money.

For clothes I put them all at €2 each. I've seen people try price them individual and people just take too long to decide what they want to buy. When I do a stall, I do a massive sign saying all clothes €2 each and that means people come to my stall first, usually the same customer buys my other stuff.

Let me know how you get on when its over.

For pricing Ireally just think of going with what I would pay for the same pre-loved myself, I'll have nothing over 15 euro. I'll have bundles for the vests and pj's probably cause they are things people buy in bulk, but I think I will just split rest of clothes by age and at maybe 2 euro a piece or something.
    I will also look at the other stalls once there too and drop prices if I have to.
    The clothes I have so many that I really just want to clear out, but as you say I wouldn't just want to give away the likes of bouncer seats, etc.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I've sold just about everything on adverts. I usually start at 70% off what I paid for the item and work from there. its not the case that I want to make my money back but say for example I want a new car seat, I just keep selling till I have the money.

For clothes I put them all at €2 each. I've seen people try price them individual and people just take too long to decide what they want to buy. When I do a stall, I do a massive sign saying all clothes €2 each and that means people come to my stall first, usually the same customer buys my other stuff.

I've tried online selling as well, for the likes of gumtree and adverts.ie, Im in too remote area it seems, nobody is interested to make the distance. Then done ebay, but most buyers were from uk, so had to price very low cause postage was high. So Im hoping that the markets are the way to go.

I've the same problem about being too rural to get rid of a lot of stuff, so I'm hoping to get rid of a lot of the big, bulky items at the market. Hopefully it will go well, I'm hoping to use some of the money to take the kiddies for a night away to Dublin to visit the zoo. Hopefully will be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I couldnt believe how cheap some couriers are. It cost €15 for a travel system to Dublin. But for anything you have to see before buying, yeah the markets are better. It just depends on wheather all the other sellers have the same stock as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Hi , I would love to go to one of these markets. Where can you find out when and where they are running?

at babymarket.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was wondering about these to except a bit nearer to home. Loads of stuff on adverts but have to make way for some baby boy stuff now too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Moonbeam there's a babybay market in the clarion Liffey valley on 10th February. That should be fairly close to you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks, I might go take a look:)
    I need space!!!
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Cottontail wrote: »
    I haven't yet, but I've signed up for a stall at the sligo market at the end of jan, as I have a pile of stuff to get rid of. My problem though is deciding what price to put on things, because I don't want to make them too expensive, but neither do I just want to give stuff away! Also, on the baby clothes, do you think I'm better just to make bundles of baby stuff, say 0 - 3 months, and 3 - 6 months etc, instead of selling items individually, which I'd imagine would be quite difficult?

I was thinking of getting one at Sligo too but I'm worried there won't be that many people at it. I find it hard to sell on adverts and I think it's because I'm in Sligo. I have sold lot too people in Dublin when I have been able to get the items to Dublin

Well, it's 20 euro for a stall, and if I get some of my bigger items sold, such as buggy, high chair and a couple of bits like that, it will have been worth my time going, even if there aren't a lot of people at it. Fingers crossed!

Well they ve cancelled the one in Tralee I was thinking of going to :( My other options are Cork or Limerick, but then I'd have to factor in about 20 euro petrol for the car to get to it... Hopefully they will reschedule in Tralee!

Don't think ill get a stall in Sligo but will go for a look. I'm looking for a stroller hopefully baby jogger city :)

Cottontail how was the market? I remember it was on around 4 that Sunday so missed it!! So annoyed was looking for a stroller

The one in tralee seems to be back on into a new venue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Went to the one in limerick- I got a few bits for my baby like little toys and things that I got for next to nothing but would have been over 10 euro apeice in the store! (like the lamaze toys!) there were lots of strollers there that looked in good condition...I think they are well worth going to if you want to pick up bits for a knock down price!

• Advertisement

Just bringing this up again, the baby market in Tralee is on today I think, have no car to get to it :(
    If anyone is going just let me know how busy it was, would really want to know if its worth getting a stall in the next one in April!!

Advertisement