Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Buy Fruit

Options
  • 11-01-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Just pondering we used to have this chap call to the house every week (the veggie man) who always had loverly fresh veg and fruit so so handy as he would just call.

Is there anyone in around the south side that does this anymore! And after that one where would you think is the best place to buy fruit now a days.. I get Dunnes and Tescos and that but someplace other than the main stream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

The fruit stand in the English Market (think it's called Superfruit?) always have a good selection or else there is a little fruit and veg grocer up on Barrack street near Lennox's that is reasonable and has a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Also a fruit and veg shop in wilton that has a good range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Marks & Spencers have the best oranges I have ever had. €0.79 each. Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

English Market Superfruit or The Farmer in by O'Flynn's Sausage stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just for parking reasons and that I would'nt fancy heading into the market. But the one by lennoxs i may have to check out.. thank you..

I got a few bits before from the Wilton one too and have to say it wasnt memorable although the staff are very nice.

Mmm oranges theres just nothing like getting a nice easy peel baby orange feckin yummie.. not bad price for marks and sparks.. it wouldnt be one of my normal spots..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

We get a delivery from this crowd every Thursday with fruit and veg, they're great :).

MMm thanks léan, this sounds interesting.. how much do they charge then

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I think you can get a box starting at €20 and it goes up in 5's after that I'm sure if you wanted less if you rang them they'd be able to arrange something. They're a really nice crowd to deal with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you're around Douglas/Rochestown/Monkstown/Carrigaline I know a grocer who does the fruit and veg for lots of the pubs and restaurants in the area, delivers to anybody.

I would be around Ballintemple area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

there used to be a little fruit shop off the boreenamanna rd..I think hes still there but not 100% sure. the easiest way to describe where it is is to go from the south infirmary hosp. pass the hosp on your left heading towards blackrock , go on the bridge which leads over the link road, then take the first turn right, ( there was a sweet shop "the coffin" , at the top of the road for years and years but I think it might be a locksafe shop now ) the shop is nearly at the end of that road in through an archway/ gate on the right. its very accessible from the boreenamanna road too but you would park on the BM road and just walk over the small grassy area to the grocer ( I think its called rockboro ave ) its one way to traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly, i discontinued a box from the link above last year, as I found the quality to be kindof patchy. Some of the fruit and veg would arrive mouldy or rotten, and we found it to be very expensive for the contents. In fairness, every time we complained about things being rotten, they would put extra in the next week, and they were great to deal with. but it was just too often for us. I felt like I was calling them every week at one point. We just wanted the food to be fresh, rather than organic, and as they were importing from organic farms abroad, it wasn't always fresh. It wasn't for us. Maybe they are better now though. I did love the box arriving and coming up with things to do with the contents.

I used to go to superfruit for veg in douglas but that closed. At the moment it is aldi in blackrock for the super 6 of the week, market on the weekend when we are getting fish anyway, M&S in douglas for good quality but expensive stuff, and growing our own few bits. Aldi has a big turnover of those veg, so they are always fresh there I think, even if it isn't the most interesting stuff. No one stop shop for us anymore I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AnotherTool

Would absolutely recommend that shop off Bandon Rd. It's right next to the credit union. Con's a legend and while the shop is small, it's well stocked with your typical fruit and veg, very good quality, and I always come out of the place surprised at how cheap it is, this coming from someone on a student budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Southern Fruit wholesalers have a retail shop too. Near Togher on a back road to the airport ... okay, I'll find a map

Advertisement