Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash boundary

• 11-01-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have 4.5 acres with mature trees and hedging as a boundary all around.
    There is a fair bit of Ash in it.

What is ahead of me if it all gets infected?

Do I have to pay somebody to come in and remove it all before it all falls down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If it gets infected is still some way off, but as a tree owner you are responsible for your trees and the consequences of anything that happens with them to a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I wonder if we can perhaps look to possible negligence by the Forest Service in protecting our forest base from disease? If ash plantations get infected and die, then we need accountability from those public servants whose job it is to safeguard the health of our forests. This is something I hope the agriculture committee of the Dail will do once they begin inquiries into the Ash Dieback fiasco. I believe entry of this disease was almost certainly preventable-these people by their own admission have been "monitoring" its progress in Europe since at least 2008-surely it didn't take 4 years to realize that a ban on the import of ash plants/material was necessary? Substitute foot and mouth disease or mad cow disease for ash die back disease and things get a little clearer.

Advertisement