Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Child benefit

Options
  • 11-01-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Will there be more cuts to child benefit in March? I know our money was just cut in January but I was on the phone to my ex Mother in law who informed me the Government were cutting the money again in March.
    Now she is not the nicest person and could just be trying to wind me up, I really hope she is I have just lost 38 euro in January, I told her she was silly they can't cut it again until the next budget but she insisted because we are in a recession they can and are :confused: according to her it's all over Facebook (which she lives on) and was on fm104 and so on.
    I have checked everywhere online but could not find anything.

I'm a single Mother and the Government are clamping down on single Mothers she told me, cutting their money! she is very convincing even when you know she is talking rubbish. Surely there will be no more cuts until 2014?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I haven't heard a thing about it - it would be all over the media. and to be honest, they'd have to amend and vote again on the Finance bill. I'm sure she's gotten her wires crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MandaZach

highly1111 wrote: »
    I haven't heard a thing about it - it would be all over the media. and to be honest, they'd have to amend and vote again on the Finance bill. I'm sure she's gotten her wires crossed.
    I thought so too, like surely they can't do it twice in one year but she insisted. All her kids are in the 30's so I think other Mothers getting child benefit is a sore subject! I have three kids to feed and clothe you would think another Mother would not begrudge you the only extra money you have especially as money is so tight for everyone.

As I said though she is not the nicest of people.
    I searched online too checking rte news and Irish newspaper websites, it gave me a fright you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

as far as i know the cuts have been made and thats that until next year, of course they could pull it completely in the morning if they wanted to and put a bill together in a matter of days/weeks but i don't think they will...for now.

so id say you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MandaZach

Thanks, I hope so. It's terrible to have to rely on the payment every month but I have no choice at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If it's on FM104 it must be true :D

Seriously though - it's been cut from this month. That's it until the next budget.

As for clamping down on single mothers - that's complete crap. Child benefit is a universal payment - marital status is completely irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There was a report in the Sunday Times about the findings of a consulting group tasked at finding a way to means test Child Benefit.

They planned something similar to the UK model where single parents are in a worst position compared to joint parents.

The limit in the UK for eligibility is 2 incomes of £50,000, or if parenting alone, 1 income of £50,000.

The irish report said there were 2 options, something like everyone would get €60 euro per month and only those with incomes of less than a certain amount could apply for a top up to €130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I rank the Sunday Times alongside FM104 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fairly sure your mother in law has got it wrong

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Asen

Hi sorry i'm new in the boards ie and i dont know how to work whit the forums. Can you help me and tell me how longer i have to lait for approuvment of the child benefit my wife apply in 21.07.17. I'm from EU and live here whit my fammily. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Asen wrote: »
    Hi sorry i'm new in the boards ie and i dont know how to work whit the forums. Can you help me and tell me how longer i have to lait for approuvment of the child benefit my wife apply in 21.07.17. I'm from EU and live here whit my fammily. Thanks

From this webpage http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/273_Child-Benefit.aspx
    You can only contact this office by email or telephone.
    Tel:(074) 916 4400
    Locall:1890 400 400
    or fill out enquiry form here https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx?subject=Child%20Benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Asen wrote: »

Hi Asen,
    There's a forum for State Benefits that may help you with this too. Also you should start your own thread instead of taking over another discussion. Oh, and welcome!

Advertisement