Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacknight for Hosting ?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Im hoping someone can help me. In the past we had our website hosted with an american company. I was told that google would prefer and Irish site, with Irish hosting. We are currently hosted with Blacknight, however I have recently been told that blacknight aren't great for hosting and there are better companies available again in Ireland. Recently our page rank moved down 2 places and I have been told that this is due to our hosting company.

Has anybody got any thoughts on this ?

cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Im hoping someone can help me. In the past we had our website hosted with an american company. I was told that google would prefer and Irish site, with Irish hosting. We are currently hosted with Blacknight, however I have recently been told that blacknight aren't great for hosting and there are better companies available again in Ireland. Recently our page rank moved down 2 places and I have been told that this is due to our hosting company.

Has anybody got any thoughts on this ?

cheers
    I am the official representative of Blacknight on boards.ie

If you are having issues with your hosting with us please let me know the ticket IDs where you have raised this. It could be simply a matter that you are on an incorrect hosting plan for your needs.

We are the largest hosting provider in Ireland with thousands of satisfied Irish and international customers ranging from hobbyists through to governments and multinationals

@Moderators - maybe move this thread to our forum?

Regards

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

We are currently hosted with Blacknight, however I have recently been told that blacknight aren't great for hosting and there are better companies available again in Ireland. Recently our page rank moved down 2 places and I have been told that this is due to our hosting company.

I would not be surprised if you were told this by someone trying to sell you alternative hosting. I have been using blacknight for years now and they are by far the best available, I use them for all of my own work and also for clients hosting.

Regarding your page ranking, that's just tosh, in the nicest sense.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Hosting is grand, mail servers are not the most reliable and seem to go down a couple of times a year sometimes for extended periods, direct domain webmail is a still broken over a year later giving needless hassle when you get calls from people people who get

"This page uses an unsupported technology that is no longer available by default in Firefox."

It raises a concern regarding resourcing at Blacknight, as expected they seem to keep the main show on the road and resolve critical issues, but to me the real measure is the ability to close off minor issues and annoyances in a managed manner rather than just dashing from fire to fire.

I have been a Blacknight customer for several years but have went from being an enthusiastic supporter to indifferent, to actively stopping recommending them.

fenris wrote: »
    direct domain webmail is a still broken over a year later giving needless hassle when you get calls from people people who get

"This page uses an unsupported technology that is no longer available by default in Firefox."

Would you not just use the rather excellent

https://altmail.blacknight.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

No, I would prefer that they fixed the problem properly so that I could use

webmail.domain.com

as was possible previously.

altmail.backnight.com was okay as a workaround, however leaving a workaround in place for over a year smacks of "good enough/ shur it will be grand" and leads to concern over what other kludges have been left in place in less visible but potentially more critical areas.

• Advertisement

fenris wrote: »
    No, I would prefer that they fixed the problem properly so that I could use

webmail.domain.com

as was possible previously.

Just create the sub domain webmail.domainname.com and then direct it to altmail and perfect solution.

I would imagine the amount of web mail users is tiny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭quikquest

Blacknight don't use Cpanel.

I had hosting with them and while no fault with them - the backend was the most confusing thing I have used. Copying and pasting numbers just so i could FTP... was a pain. Found another Irish hosting with Cpanel (most USA hosting has this so if your used to it check beforehand who has it here)

quikquest wrote: »

I had hosting with them and while no fault with them - the backend was the most confusing thing I have used. Copying and pasting numbers just so i could FTP... was a pain. Found another Irish hosting with Cpanel (most USA hosting has this so if your used to it check beforehand who has it here)

If you are concerned with the back end that much just go cloud and install what ever you want otherwise for shared hosting ||s offer far more options

http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/compare/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Excuses aside, Parallels don't support Atmail6.x in their hosting system currently. There is no alternative that we can install that will integrate into the control panel.

Hence we put altmail in place. The only other options are IMP or OpenExchange. The former has a cost per user which we'd have to pass on and IMP isn't spectacular.

So that's the status quo re: Webmail.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I think they're excellent, their shared hosting is a little sluggish but they're very professional

For the webmail.domain.com the workaround would be to create a cname record in the DNS admin and point it at altmail.blacknight.com

• Advertisement

If you are concerned with the back end that much just go cloud and install what ever you want otherwise for shared hosting ||s offer far more options

http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/compare/

Ah I don't really care about the back part - just saying I found Cpanel a hell of a lot easier than Blacknight. Too much copying and pasting with FTP ;)

Ah I don't really care about the back part - just saying I found Cpanel a hell of a lot easier than Blacknight. Too much copying and pasting with FTP ;)

Would you not use an FTP client like filezilla?

Would you not use an FTP client like filezilla?

Of course I use Filezilla :) But I had to keep copying and pasting a number in whenever I did :/

Of course I use Filezilla :) But I had to keep copying and pasting a number in whenever I did :/
    set up as a site in filezilla and save the password?

set up as a site in filezilla and save the password?

Ok ... i just meant about pasting another number in in webspaces :)

The number changes :/ nothing to do with my password it was like a token :)

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense

Webspaces etc., on our systems have a number in them, but it doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

All the responses to this thread, thats the exact problem i have, I'm not a techy personal and any conversation of this nature quickly translates in to something that to me is like double dutch.
    No offence to Blacknight I was just hoping somebody could shed some light on the entire situation.

All the responses to this thread, thats the exact problem i have, I'm not a techy personal and any conversation of this nature quickly translates in to something that to me is like double dutch.
    No offence to Blacknight I was just hoping somebody could shed some light on the entire situation.
    You haven't supplied us with any support ticket IDs so we haven't been able to address your original query / comment

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dino72

Hi I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue:
    I have been with Blacknight for many years. But as I forgot my password or couldn't log in and wanted to register a number of separate domains I just went ahead and paid for the domains and in one case another hosting account. Then I went to put all the domains onto the same hosting account. However when I requested this to be done I was glibly told it was an "extra service" and I would have to pay a minimum of €75 for this as I had only purchased hosting and registered the domains with Blacknight - what did I expect - to get the help for free?!
    I have several clients and my own domains hosting and registered through Blacknight and have been with Blacknight for a many years and always found them very helpful. But this was a disappointing development.
    Perhaps I am wrong to expect help and support from technical support or are they in trouble?
    Thoughts welcome.

Hi Dino72, do you have a ticket ID and I can look into this for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Dino72

Hi Dino72, do you have a ticket ID and I can look into this for you
    Hi Alan - here's ticket #24229. Also #24223. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aoibhinn[/font] was very pleasant. But this could have been dealt with better within Tech Support.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rebel1234

Hi, I have the same issues with Blacknight and am looking for a reliable Irish host with cPanel access and LAMP hosting and Wordpress quick install that does not cause Ftp Permissions issues like Blacknights does. What other Irish host did you switch to and how have you found their service to date? Thanks  

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I raised a query with Blacknight last year and did not yet receive a satisfactory response.  All I was looking for was some advice on how to stop SPAM comments on my web-site. Although I'm by no means an IT expert, I'm not completely stupid either and their reply made no sense offering a solution that may in their own words "break other parts of the site" .  I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. Ticket number 20363

I raised a query with Blacknight last year and did not yet receive a satisfactory response.  All I was looking for was some advice on how to stop SPAM comments on my web-site. Although I'm by no means an IT expert, I'm not completely stupid either and their reply made no sense offering a solution that may in their own words "break other parts of the site" .  I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. Ticket number 20363
    they only support your hosting and can only offer advice about your website.

if you're running wordpress you should sign up for an akismet account and enable recaptcha on comments to reduce spam.

alternatively force people to register to post spam.

if you're not getting very far you need to hire a prefessional to set up your website.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I don't even want the comment section on the web-site to be honest, but I don't seem to be able to disable it.

I referred it to a professional web-designer and was told it was an issue for Blacknight....

if you're running wordpress you should sign up for an akismet account and enable recaptcha on comments to reduce spam.

if you're not getting very far you need to hire a prefessional to set up your website.

I don't even want the comment section on the web-site to be honest, but I don't seem to be able to disable it.

I referred it to a professional web-designer and was told it was an issue for Blacknight....

if you're using wordpress as your CMS you will need to disable it on every post its currenttly enabled on and disable it on new posts in the settings > discussion area.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/enable-disable-comments/

if its not wordpress let me know and ill find out the details for you.

Advertisement