Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I mounted a video Camcorder to my scope

Options
  • 11-01-2013 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Added this to the tips section as well.

Here is how I was able to mount a video Camcorder to my scope. The rifle is a Sako 75 .308. And the Camcorder is a Panasonic SDR-S70 with x78 optical zoom. and records to an SD card.

I don't need to say too much. Only that the 2 picatinny mounts/rings only use the lower half and they get screwed to a small plate. This plate is then fixed to the Camcorder, through a 1/4" hole, with the usual Camera tripod mount thumb screw.

I haven't use it yet as I didn't get a shot off but I'll upload a video ASAP.

I put a small bit of a credit card under the back of the Camcorder to drop the the lens just a little. Now the center of the scope and the Camcorder line up, well out to 300m anyway.

Got this Picatinny scope rail mount from Dealextreme.com @$7, they are available in both 1" and 30mm mounts.

Picatinnyscoperailmount_zps7564b374.jpg

IMG_1638_zps53209bac.jpg

IMG_1639_zpse29b56d4.jpg

IMG_1640_zpsad511878.jpg

IMG_1643_zpsa2e20ee6.jpg

IMG_1641_zps098a41b2.jpg

IMG_1644_zps207028e5.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsc7ba4f27.jpg

IMG_1644_zps207028e5.jpg

IMG_1649_zps90617f8b.jpg

IMG_1648_zps2b615f49.jpg

IMG_1647_zps64056af5.jpg

IMG_1650_zps0cf9247e.jpg

IMG_1651_zps82de00da.jpg

IMG_1653_zps72207f00.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Looks good, got myself a camera over the Xmas with the intention of videoing a bit of shooting.

Would be interesting to see would recoil/muzzle flip and the gases get in the way of seeing the bullet strike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Good man Clive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Looks prity cool alright Clive.

Would you be worried about doing any damage to the camera with recoil or that.

deadly, can you see crows and the likes clearly thru the camera at 300yds?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Excellent work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

deadly, can you see crows and the likes clearly thru the camera at 300yds?

Any Camcorder will only be as good as can be.
    With this older model Panasonic SDR S70 it has a 78 zoom. Got it last year from Amazon UK. It will frame a couple of deer at 400y with good enough quality, it's not HD. I got this model because it saves to an SD card so no internal moving parts.

Looks prity cool alright Clive.

Would you be worried about doing any damage to the camera with recoil or that.

If it goes belly up then it goes belly up. :eek:
    Took the first shot today for a quick go. I have to get a better day as it was getting dark and raining. Still working anyway. Try it with the .223 tomorrow on the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

clivej wrote: »
    If it goes belly up then it goes belly up. :eek:
    Took the first shot today for a quick go. I have to get a better day as it was getting dark and raining. Still working anyway. Try it with the .223 tomorrow on the range.

Cool should work doe, its a good idea in fairness to you

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

will the recoil cause the side screen to close? i strapped 1 on to the shotgun and the first time i fired the recoil closed the side screen in turn stopping the recording had to tape it open. look forward to seeing the vid's.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

good idea
    but i wonder would it be better to mount the camera on a tripod as the recoil could take the camera of the target, or not maybe?

• Advertisement

patdahat wrote: »
    will the recoil cause the side screen to close? i strapped 1 on to the shotgun and the first time i fired the recoil closed the side screen in turn stopping the recording had to tape it open. look forward to seeing the vid's.

Yes that happened with the 1 shot I took. Easy answer is to twist the screen 180 degrees and fold back it into the camera.

And it will still stay in record mode when the screen is shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

clivej wrote: »
    Yes that happened with the 1 shot I took. Easy answer is to twist the screen 180 degrees and fold back it into the camera.

And it will still stay in record mode when the screen is shut.

very good

Advertisement