Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs turn vicious at 2!

• 11-01-2013 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

This is not a dig at the vet profession, but is at one vet who told a family with a husky that huskies become vicious when they turn 2 :(

Vets do a great job, I am really happy with the vets I use, they are brilliant, but it is scarey how people trust what they say, when they spout crap on stuff that they actually know nothing about. I wonder how many huskies the vet in question has ever met? What scientific evidence is he/she basing this information on? wonder how many animals this vet has caused the death of by telling these lies? Would also like to know what behaviourial qualifications this vet has.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l believe it all comes down to how the dog is treated. Is your dog male or female?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

l believe it all comes down to how the dog is treated. Is your dog male or female?

Whats my dog got to do with anything? I have a mixture of males and females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ISDW wrote: »

I believe the poster thought you had been told that it was your dog the vet was talking about, and might have been trying to find more information on why a dog may get more aggressive at that age.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I believe the poster thought you had been told that it was your dog the vet was talking about, and might have been trying to find more information on why a dog may get more aggressive at that age.

But a dog doesn't get more aggressive at that age, irrespective of gender, or who owns it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sorry! just got the impression you were talking about your own dog.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

or who owns it.

???
    I would think the person that owns it has a lot to do with it no?
    Dog may not be born agressive but can be made that way by the owner.
    Or am i taking what you meant wrong?

Sorry, I really thought I'd typed it clearly, I obviously hadn't.

The vet told the family that ALL huskies become vicious when they turn two.

sorry! just got the impression you were talking about your own dog.:D

This is not a dig at the vet profession, but is at one vet who told a family with a husky that huskies become vicious when they turn 2 :(

I probably would have said a vet told me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I dont believe all of them do cant paint every human with the one brush I dont think you can do it with dogs either. I had an alaskan malamute and a few family members have them and huskies and not one has shown aggression at all with anyone even people on the street. Yeah some dogs might but there can be loads of reasons for this. Dobbermans are ment to be guard dogs and my lad would run from ya not at ya every dog has its own personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Bit of a "hear-say" thread,the vets comments could have been taken completely out of context, logic plays an important part in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Whats my dog got to do with anything?.

Wow!

Context is no fencing on property, 2 electric collars not containing the dog (big surprise), dog constantly out, killed neighbours birds, the family were really worried as they trust the vet, as she/he is a professional and so, as the dog is now 18 months old, they could rehome the dog or have it pts as it is about to turn vicious.

Hopefully instead they are building a pen, getting the dog out working and he will live to a ripe old age (as will the neighbourhood livestock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its not the OP's dog that is the issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My understanding of the OP's post is that the vet suggested that ALL huskies are genetically predisposed to become vicious at the age of two?

A ridiculous statement to be made by a professional in an animal practise IMO.

Were you present when this was stated ISDW? Is it possible the family mis-understood the vets advice?

Is it a vet in Sligo? I'd be interested if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

That's remarkable ISDW, why on Earth would any dog have such a radical change of personality for no reason? Amazing that a professional would come out with such a thing.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    My understanding of the OP's post is that the vet suggested that ALL huskies are genetically predisposed to become vicious at the age of two?

A ridiculous statement to be made by a professional in an animal practise IMO.

Were you present when this was stated ISDW? Is it possible the family mis-understood the vets advice?

Is it a vet in Sligo? I'd be interested if it was.

no, Co. Offaly. No, i wasn't present, I had a very panicked phone call this morning from the dog's owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Context is no fencing on property, 2 electric collars not containing the dog (big surprise), dog constantly out, killed neighbours birds, the family were really worried as they trust the vet, as she/he is a professional and so, as the dog is now 18 months old, they could rehome the dog or have it pts as it is about to turn vicious.

Hopefully instead they are building a pen, getting the dog out working and he will live to a ripe old age (as will the neighbourhood livestock)

Could have been a comment taken the wrong way...as in the vet ment the dog could be vicious towards livestock..ie sheep if it's able to wander free?Any dog in a field around here where they shouldn't faces the farmers gun at the moment. and as the dog matures it is more likely to continue to roam if entire....f I had clients who had an 18month old husky who was running free and killing neighbours chstock I would be pointing out they had a serious issue on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I don't believe the vet said that.

You weren't there. The family must have mis understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Im seeing more and more huskeys that people can't manage or understand. While not good advice for people with a dog, i wish more of the calibre of prospective huskey owners were told that they became viscious at 2 so less people would get them.

Im saying this as a long time owner. This week ive took one in to try and get adopted, because the owner let it run wild, had no concept of the breed, and was sending it to the pound to be euthanised.

But for a 'professional' to practice such scare mongering is terrible. But the quality of vets is variable countrywide.

Aru wrote: »
    Could have been a comment taken the wrong way...as in the vet ment the dog could be vicious towards livestock..ie sheep if it's able to wander free?Any dog in a field around here where they shouldn't faces the farmers gun at the moment. and as the dog matures it is more likely to continue to roam if entire....f I had clients who had an 18month old husky who was running free and killing neighbours chstock I would be pointing out they had a serious issue on their hands

But I wouldn't see a dog that killed poultry as being a vicious dog. I wouldn't trust my dogs with livestock, but they aren't vicious. Thats not the way the vet said it to them, but I wasn't there, nobody except the dogs' owners were, so it doesn't really matter what I say, people are going to take it the way they want.

the dog in question is neutered.

I totally agree that they have a serious issue on their hands, and its a real shame that they didn't do their research before they bought the dog, and learnt that they would need fencing at least 6 foot high to contain a husky. And I also agree that a farmer has the right to protect his/her livestock with a gun if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

CommanderC wrote: »
    I don't believe the vet said that.

You weren't there. The family must have mis understood.

Why don't you believe the vet said that???? Vet's are not the fountain of all animal knowledge and from what I understand their course covers very little animal behaviour, no more than a GP is not qualified in human behaviour. They are qualified in animal medicine so unless they have a specific interest in animal behaviour and take further courses they simply can't give advise on what a dog is likely to do. Apart from that, a blanket statement like "all huskies turn vicious at 2" is outrageous, there is very little guaranteed and 100% predictable in life which is why I think blanket statements, particularly made about sentient creatures should be taken with a bucket of salt. Every dog is subject to too many external influencing factors to be able to say with 100% accuracy that their breed is likely to do X, Y or Z.

Advertisement