Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snacks

• 11-01-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I would like some recommendations for snacks during the day at work. I've always been a grazer, and prefer to eat little and often, if possible. I get up pretty early, go to bed pretty late, and walk about 12km a day (plus 3 gym sessions a week), so I do get peckish between meals.

I'm interested to hear suggestions for snacks that aren't just unsalted nuts or peanut butter (which I love, but which is all rather calorific if eating more than a spoonful).

A couple of points:

- I can't eat too much fruit or raw veg due to stomach problems. (I used to eat a lot of dried prunes/figs/apricots...that didn't go well for me. :eek: )
    - I don't eat much meat, so jerky's not an option.
    - I'm trying to avoid wheat/gluten where possible.
    - Oh and I'm mildly allergic to kiwi fruit and walnut skins(!).

All suggestions very welcome. Also, what are people's thoughts on these: http://www.saykallo.com/products/rice-cakes/plain-rice-cakes/corn-cakes

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Rice cakes are grand but they aren't very filling on their own.

Do you like tuna? Tuna on rice cakes wouldn't be a bad option.
    Nuts?

She said no unsalted nuts. It was what I was going to suggest as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Whoops, missed that bit. Small amounts of fruit/ raw veg? You say you can't have loads but surely you wouldn't require loads if it's just for a snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I know a few nuts are okay - I was just looking for other options.

Unfortunately I hate tuna...I would rather eat a boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Greek yogurt?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

greek yoghurt and a few frozen berries...nyom

I tend to have natural yoghurt with my breakfast and wasn't sure it would be wise to eat too much during a single day...a lot of them have pro/pre-biotics that don't agree with me.

I'm so awkward, aren't I.

Regarding frozen berries - can they be eaten frozen? Or do you have to thaw them first?

Cheers again for the suggestions :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i always ate them frozen. not dead yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

How about munching on a handful of seeds? I like a mix of sunflower, pumpkin, sesame and linseed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

If you r snack choices are so limited then why snack at all. What are your meals like if you are constantly needing to 'graze'? I think you are snacking because you think you should rather than being hungry. Eliminate the habit. Eat sufficiently at meal time to keep you fuller.

Try reserving a small portion of your meal to eat as a snack later, or make your meals last longer by 'picking' at them over an extended time rather than eating all at once. Try sipping water when you get peckish.

• Advertisement

If you r snack choices are so limited then why snack at all. What are your meals like if you are constantly needing to 'graze'? I think you are snacking because you think you should rather than being hungry. Eliminate the habit. Eat sufficiently at meal time to keep you fuller.

Try reserving a small portion of your meal to eat as a snack later, or make your meals last longer by 'picking' at them over an extended time rather than eating all at once. Try sipping water when you get peckish.

I don't consider my choices limited as such - I was just looking for additional suggestions. It's not that I "need" to graze. I used to eat a lot of crap and I've been trying to improve my diet, but I'm trying to do this gradually rather than making a radical change that I will then abandon when I get a desperate craving for a bag of crisps. I've been trying to cut down the nibbling but I was just interested to see what others recommended for alternatives, in case there were some I hadn't thought of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You could always try making yourself a batch of protein bars or flapjack style bars or even a bunch of oat pancakes. You can freeze them and cut them to different sizes depending on how hungry you are.

Something like https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67325308

I know they include nuts but you could come up with variations that don't have to include nuts

matrim wrote: »
    You could always try making yourself a batch of protein bars or flapjack style bars or even a bunch of oat pancakes. You can freeze them and cut them to different sizes depending on how hungry you are.

Something like https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67325308

I know they include nuts but you could come up with variations that don't have to include nuts

Good idea about freezing the pancakes! Nuts are fine, I was just looking for alternatives. :)

Cheers.

Advertisement