Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD's when did returns become maybe?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm just in the door from the sports shop JD's, my friend bought a top for her 14year old son and the inside part of the button fell off the first time he wore it (2) so back to the store with Jacket and reciept in hand.

She had to give her name details and phone number, the manager said the jacket had to go to be checked is this ok? She said yes but when she waited for her money was told that no, didn't I tell you already it has to go to be checked..... Wait, What? :eek:I straight away asked this rather arrogant Manager why she wasn't getting her money back (which she wanted to put towards part payment of some shoes for him). He said it had to go to be evaluated and they would ring her if she is entitled to a refund????:confused:
    I queried this and said that her contract was with the store and not with the supplier and that you could see that the other buttons were loose and to give her her money back. He said that he was a business graduate and an expert in consumer law and that she was not automatically entitled to a refund and that this is store policy for garment's to go not to the supplier but to their quality control division.

This went on for a while back and forth but can someone tell whether she was entiled to a refund there and then or not??:confused:

BTW the manager was very arrogant:mad: but that's a whole other thread;) lol

Please any answers on this would be greatly appreciated, I've never heard of this before???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The manager was right in saying that she was not automatically entitled to a refund.

The vendor has an implicit right to assess the item to see if it is faulty, but this assessment must be conducted with reasonable expedition. In most cases, I would think a small number of days is reasonable.

If the vendor agrees that the product is faulty, then any one of three remedies can be applied: repair, replacement, or refund. It is effectively for the vendor to decide which.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronagig

Thanks P.Breathnach for the reply! Only job left now is to tell the rude arrogant manager they were right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

The company need to send it to their own quality assurance department to identify if the product is faulty and if it is to find the root cause.

This is standard in most large operations as they may have to withdraw an entire batch of products depending in the fault. JDs will probably raise a complaint with the manufacturer who will have to provide corrective actions.

Refunding the customer takes place as part of a larger procedure that the manager has to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Come on lads - I'm all for the legal mumbo jumbo and sticking to the rules here but this is taking it to far. If the fault is self evident, its self evident and the customer is entitled to a remedy. Now to be fair that could be a repair which might take a day or two.

OP I'd write (yes write using paper!) a letter to JD Head office. At the very least this business graduate expert in consumer law needs a few customer service lessons. As him/her to explain what JD sports considers reasonable under this SI.

Any retail manager that says to a customer they are an expert in consumer law is presumptively an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Come on lads - I'm all for the legal mumbo jumbo and sticking to the rules here but this is taking it to far. If the fault is self evident, its self evident and the customer is entitled to a remedy. Now to be fair that could be a repair which might take a day or two.

This is a very valid point. Yes, JD Sports are allowed to protect themselves by ensuring that goods are genuinely faulty, but there should also be a level of common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its a bit of a pain, but I can see why they are doing it. It seems they are taking a the mobile phone sellers attitude to Consumer Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

OP I'd write (yes write using paper!) a letter to JD Head office. At the very least this business graduate expert in consumer law needs a few customer service lessons. As him/her to explain what JD sports considers reasonable under this SI.

Any retail manager that says to a customer they are an expert in consumer law is presumptively an ass.

QA systems can take a lot of autonomy away from the person dealing with the customer. Don't assume the manager is being awkward (though saying he was a business graduate/consumer law expert makes him sound that way).

It's not unheard of to have to wait a couple of days for refunds to be processed. In fairness though they usually involve more technical issues than a button. Some companies insist on doing refunds by cheque.

I imagine the OP is concerned that they are being fobbed off some way or other. Since its not the usual way of doing it in the retail sector (but would be the norm in B2B), that's understandable.

Allow them a reasonable amount of time (I'd call that 5 days at most) to do as they said they would. Beyond that they are messing you around. No harm explaining to head office that their systems don't inspire confidence. Hope that works out for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronagig

Thanks everyone, they said a week, so we'll wait and see. I can understand quality control taking away a degree of control from managers and refunds but this guy was an agreesive so and so. I think I'll pop a wee letter in the post to customer care...
    Thanks to everyone for you're respenses.

Advertisement