Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcarbery Business Park DNS

• 11-01-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I recently downloaded a program that found the fastest DNS servers near me, it pointed to these ones:

web2.morsolutions.net

ns2.morsolutions.net

The program said that these IP's were located in Kilcarbery Business Park.

I was just posting here to verify if they can be trusted privacy & virus wise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

OpToCo wrote: »
    I recently downloaded a program that found the fastest DNS servers near me, it pointed to these ones:

web2.morsolutions.net

ns2.morsolutions.net

The program said that these IP's were located in Kilcarbery Business Park.

I was just posting here to verify if they can be trusted privacy & virus wise.

whats the name of the program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Telecity have a large data centre in Kilcarberry so more than likely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OpToCo

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the name of the program?
    http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why would you want to use a web designer for DNS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Why not use your own ISP's NS?
    They are on the same local network which should result in the shortest hop and using your ISP's NS allows for intelligent use of content servers such as akamai. So resolving an akamai link for Microsoft on Eircom's NS will point to a hosted server within Eircom for the download rather than a server further away. Using a third party NS may not yield those benefits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 OpToCo

FSL wrote: »
    Why would you want to use a web designer for DNS?

As I said, I used this program because it measured the response times of DNS servers from a global list.

This DNS Server came up with a response time of 23ms which shattered the response time of the eircom DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OpToCo wrote: »
    This DNS Server came up with a response time of 23ms which shattered the response time of the eircom DNS
    So what? It's not as if you're blasting out DNS requests hundreds of times a second is it? Successful replies to DNS requests are cached locally, so it's only one request that's made when you first access a particular site, and after that it comes from memory. If you're expecting a huge improvement in performance by doing this you're in for a disappointment.

I see that tool comes from the (in)famous Gibson Research Corporation, purveyors of cyber snake-oil such as SpinRite since the early 80's. I didn't think they even still existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Alun wrote: »
    So what? It's not as if you're blasting out DNS requests hundreds of times a second is it? Successful replies to DNS requests are cached locally, so it's only one request that's made when you first access a particular site, and after that it comes from memory. If you're expecting a huge improvement in performance by doing this you're in for a disappointment.

I see that tool comes from the (in)famous Gibson Research Corporation, purveyors of cyber snake-oil such as SpinRite since the early 80's. I didn't think they even still existed.

whats wrong with spinrite?

Advertisement