Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcarbery Business Park DNS

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I recently downloaded a program that found the fastest DNS servers near me, it pointed to these ones:

web2.morsolutions.net

ns2.morsolutions.net

The program said that these IP's were located in Kilcarbery Business Park.

I was just posting here to verify if they can be trusted privacy & virus wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

OpToCo wrote: »
    I recently downloaded a program that found the fastest DNS servers near me, it pointed to these ones:

web2.morsolutions.net

ns2.morsolutions.net

Looks OK at first glance
    http://www.morsolutions.com/
    I don't know how you could get a virus from a DNS server?
    All it does is 'translate' the web address to an IP address.
    To me what would be important is how often it is updated and indeed the speed of same.

However looking again it might be that you work for them???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

More importantly, why would you bother? Just use your ISP's DNS, or use Google's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can't see how you'd expect privacy or security from someone else's private DNS servers that aren't offered or meant for public use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@OP.

The "fastest" DNS Servers to you will not make the blindest bit of difference (Generally). Choose the most Secure, or Trustworthy (Stablest) DNS Servers. As mentioned use your ISP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

What that "downloaded a program" will that be ... after his name !??? :rolleyes:
    Can we have it,please !

Thanks...

web2.morsolutions.net

ns2.morsolutions.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Xantia wrote: »
    I don't know how you could get a virus from a DNS server?

You don't, the DNS server can send requests to sites that can. Requests for Facebook can be directed to the IP address of a compromised proxied version of Facebook, for example.
    Spear wrote: »
    I can't see how you'd expect privacy or security from someone else's private DNS servers that aren't offered or meant for public use.

If they're not meant for public use, they shouldn't be resolving for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

True, and also yet again, why bother? I tried Namebench, and it triumphantly told me that switching to a BT name server instead of UPC's would save me a whopping 24% response time (124ms vs. 100ms). Seriously, what difference will shaving 24ms off each DNS request, which are cached anyway, make to your overall network performance in the grand scheme of things?

• Advertisement
Advertisement