Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn - what to do next

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Last year, I did a lot of work in my back garden. Previously, the garden was not well drained at all and the grass was full of moss.

In September, I put in a new septic tank, new percolation and some badly needed drainage. This was followed by plenty of raking, and then I put down lawn seed in early October.

So far, I'm delighted with how its come on. The ground is not dry, but I would not expect it to be this time of year. But its considerably better than last Summer.

The grass came on nicely, but it hasn't filled out completely. Hopefully once spring comes around, it should really thicken out. But I'd like to know what to do next.

I've been told conflicting stories about not fertilizing because its too young, to get as much fertilizer and sulphate of Iron in to it as possible from February onwards.

I want to prevent moss growing from the outset, and but I also don't want to harm my very young lawn.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well it's way too early for fertilsing. THink mid-March to early April for the first feed. Just sit back for a few weeks and relax :)
    The first cut shold be early March with blade on high. Gradually lower the blades and increase the frequency as summer approaches and progresses. Regular mowing thickens the grass.

The Lawn Expert on amazon is all you need in a book. And cheap at 1p + delivery

Advertisement