Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Hedge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

Bare root laurel €1.75 each. Good price? I want to get them bare root because house will be ready at the end of summer and wife wants me to get a hedge going before them. Gonna pot them until ready to plant. Seen the plants today very bushy and well healed in at nursery. What many per metre would you plant them? I would think 2/m..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Paudi04 wrote: »
    Bare root laurel €1.75 each. Good price? I want to get them bare root because house will be ready at the end of summer and wife wants me to get a hedge going before them. Gonna pot them until ready to plant. Seen the plants today very bushy and well healed in at nursery. What many per metre would you plant them? I would think 2/m..

Laurel is pretty dense . I'd say space them every 2 feet .

Might be better to transplant them when they are dormant next winter .

What height are they? If nearly 2ft that's a good price alright

Laurel is pretty dense . I'd say space them every 2 feet .

Might be better to transplant them when they are dormant next winter .

What height are they? If nearly 2ft that's a good price alright

Yeah I think I will wait until August/sept to transplant. They are just over 2ft high. I thought it was a good price too.

With two feet spacing what time should I expect it to form a "hedge" if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

rather than start a new thread I said I would jump in on the end of this. I'm hoping to plant some bare roots at the weekend, beech along the sides and whitethorn across the back. I see there's a chance of frost though next week, am I still ok to get them planted at the weekend? Are they hardy enough to stick a bit of spring frost?
    Also, I have killed the grass all around the perimeter, where they are going to be planted. Is that enough or would it need to be dug too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    rather than start a new thread I said I would jump in on the end of this. I'm hoping to plant some bare roots at the weekend, beech along the sides and whitethorn across the back. I see there's a chance of frost though next week, am I still ok to get them planted at the weekend? Are they hardy enough to stick a bit of spring frost?
    Also, I have killed the grass all around the perimeter, where they are going to be planted. Is that enough or would it need to be dug too?

Id plant them sooner rather than later.

End of March if usually the end of bare root planting season.

Although we have successfully planted some of our Hornbeam Hedging as late as the very last day of April and 1st weekend of May.:)

• Advertisement

Plant away

I planted 400 recently and dug a trench mainly because the soil was difficult for digging

If you can heel them in easily enough just do that

Plant away

I planted 400 recently and dug a trench mainly because the soil was difficult for digging

If you can heel them in easily enough just do that
    Nice one folks,i'll get stuck in saturday so!

Just bought the bare root laurel. Site not ready to plant them ago I potted them instead with a view to plant them later in the year. Thought would get a years growth as opposed to waiting for bare root session next year. Any time limit on planting laurel I.e by the end of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

plant them out now ,dont think you will get any benifit of the being in a pot as against buying fresh stock, more likely it will have a negative effect on growth when compared to planted out, not to mention the husbandry necessary.

Having set a lot of hedging in the early part of the year, I was happy to see almost all coming on well, just the very odd one didnt bud green or copper leaves (having set green & copper beech). Now though I fear the heat wave is damaging them, it looks like some are turning back brown again. Will this be ok, will they be ok til it rains again? To start watering would be a big task, almost 200 yards of boundary, with no hose or outside tap!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

I'd water them ASAP.

I planted a beech hedge in early 2007 and we had a very dry spell early that summer. They would need a very good watering every two days in this weather.

Good news is that they'll be fine next summer regardless of weather. Set aside 1 to 1 1/2 hours and you'll be covered.

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Having set a lot of hedging in the early part of the year, I was happy to see almost all coming on well, just the very odd one didnt bud green or copper leaves (having set green & copper beech). Now though I fear the heat wave is damaging them, it looks like some are turning back brown again. Will this be ok, will they be ok til it rains again? To start watering would be a big task, almost 200 yards of boundary, with no hose or outside tap!

You cant leave them with no water,otherwize you will most likely loose alot of them.

They need a good regular watering.....especially in this very warm dry weather.

Tell me about it!! I must have spent 3-4 hours watering mine over the weekend - already about 15-20 of them starting to brown

Also had an awful job pulling nettles / weeds /Grass / briars from around them ( Second time doing this since they were planted.

not looking fwd to telling the wife i'll have to water them again in a few days :) although the horse manure i had as Mulch seems to be good at holding the water

Tell me about it!! I must have spent 3-4 hours watering mine over the weekend - already about 15-20 of them starting to brown

Also had an awful job pulling nettles / weeds from around them ( Second time doing this since they were planted.

not looking fwd to telling the wife i'll have to water them again in a few days :) although the horse manure i had as Mulch seems to be good at holding the water

A strip of Mypex installed in,around and along the base of the hedgerow will make life alot easier for you.Then some bark chip and you have your weed problem sorted.

Short term pain for long term gain.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    A strip of Mypex installed around the base of the hedgerow will make life alot easier for you.Then some bark chip and you have your weed problem sorted.:)

I know --- but budget is tight :) -- i've 100- 150 metres to cover

the horse poop does help

I know --- but budget is tight :) -- i've 100- 150 metres to cover

the horse poop does help

Yep,the manure is good for water retention in the soil...makes life a tad easier too.:)

A 1.5 meter wide x 50 meter long roll of Mypex is around 55 euro these days.

Cut it in half,and you have a 100 meter long strip.

Cut it into 3 and you have 150 meter long strip.

Simples.:)

Yep,the manure is good for water retention in the soil...makes life a tad easier too.:)

A 1.5 meter wide x 50 meter long roll of Mypex is around 55 euro these days.

Cut it in half,and you have a 100 meter long strip.

Cut it into 3 and you have 150 meter long strip.

Simples.:)

Yeah , but then I have to buy the bark, more poop, a hedge trimmers , more shrubs , topsoil, trees, etc . It's a half acre site with a very limited budget. The 400 hundred bareroots and 3 tonne of manure is as far as it stretched this year :)

Next year maybe

During the summer I use about 3-4 inches of grass cuttings to keep the ground moist. Reapplying every 6-8 weeks.

almighty1 wrote: »
    During the summer I use about 3-4 inches of grass cuttings to keep the ground moist. Reapplying every 6-8 weeks.

You had better get out and get watering so.......no rain forecast for a while to come.

You had better get out and get watering so.......no rain forecast for a while to come.

Yeah tell me about it. Fecking taking its toll on the grass.
    The hedge is 6 years old so no need to water. I just use the grass cuttings for frost protection in winter and ground protection from sun during summer. Even though the hedge is sufficiently thick now not to warrant it.

• Advertisement

almighty1 wrote: »
    Yeah tell me about it. Fecking taking its toll on the grass.
    The hedge is 6 years old so no need to water. I just use the grass cuttings for frost protection in winter and ground protection from sun during summer. Even though the hedge is sufficiently thick now not to warrant it.

Appoligies,I thought you were the chap with the newly planted hedge.

Sorry about that.:o:D

Advertisement