Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David McKittrick; These protests are NOT over the flag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Happyman42 wrote: »

There was an ice cream van where I live today, didn't do much.:D

At what point do you engage with what is actually being presented to you?

"but sadly only one flag has dominated the skyline in the century-plus since that imposing building went up in 1906"
    seems even the andytown news believes the flag was flying all round on city hall ( you know the civic building not the government building) since 1906.

Was there many out? Any riots??? Not much media coverage this evening - the snow seems to be more newsworthy for some reason!

There was a few people out more then expected considering the weather, and no there was no violence, and nor has there been since the protests began

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Many of you may have heard about the Nolan Show debacle the other night, which frankly shows NI up in a very bad light.

In case anyone wants to see the 50mins of mayhem, you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5L5p6aYyM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

junder wrote: »
    "but sadly only one flag has dominated the skyline in the century-plus since that imposing building went up in 1906"
    seems even the andytown news believes the flag was flying all round on city hall ( you know the civic building not the government building) since 1906.

And?

Unionists have been saying it was flying 365 days for over a 100 years, they are obviously mistaken too.
    Have a trawl around Google there are loads of vintage pics around the time of that cutting that show the building sans flag.

Here's another one...maybe it's laundry day?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/322976656/in/pool-oldbelfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

I sure hope that english is not your mother tongue! The literal interpretation of the quote says nothing of the flag being a permanent fixture since 1906, rather it correctly points out that it was the only flag allowed to be flown, thereby dominating the skyline is obviously referring to the days when actually flown as no alternative (such as the tricolour) has been flown on the days which the union flag was not flown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

NIMAN wrote: »
    Many of you may have heard about the Nolan Show debacle the other night, which frankly shows NI up in a very bad light.

In case anyone wants to see the 50mins of mayhem, you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5L5p6aYyM

Pure hearsay here, but a friend claims that there was a loyalist protest blocking the entrance to the studios and that when the ticket holding audience turned up they felt too intimidated to enter and so most of them left. That the Nolan show ended up inviting the protestors in to make up the audience, leading to a very angry and one sided show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Many people born male now define themselves as women, so what's your point? And yes many Irish nationalists have a define themselves as a different nationality that's why they carry Irish passports, I carry a British passport so by definition I am a different nationality. An African can settle in either part of the island and go through the nationalisation process and become 'Irish' or 'British'

Great I can decide that Im male and my periods will just go away. Catch yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Unionists have been saying it was flying 365 days for over a 100 years, they are obviously mistaken too.

Indeed. In the 1950s this was when it was flown. Back to the days of the Stormont government, anyone.
    486115_10151640871744951_841563668_n.jpg

ardmacha wrote: »
    Indeed. In the 1950s this was when it was flown. Back to the days of the Stormont government, anyone.

Make it up as you go along seems part and parcel of Unionism.

Maybe Junder can tell us when the decision was taken to fly the flag 24/7 and why it was taken?

• Advertisement

Make it up as you go along seems part and parcel of Unionism.

Maybe Junder can tell us when the decision was taken to fly the flag 24/7 and why it was taken?

And tell us how often the queen was in procession past the gates of 'Stormont' as per clause 3 in the cutting. :D

Great I can decide that Im male and my periods will just go away. Catch yourself on.

Why not take yourself over to the LGBT forum on this site and tell the people there that they are not the gender they define themselves as

And?

Have a trawl around Google there are loads of vintage pics around the time of that cutting that show the building sans flag.

Here's another one...maybe it's laundry day?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/322976656/in/pool-oldbelfast

Or it's the side of city hall, notice the lack of dome and the cenotaph in the background

And tell us how often the queen was in procession past the gates of 'Stormont' as per clause 3 in the cutting. :D

Last time she was over

Or it's the side of city hall, notice the lack of dome and the cenotaph in the background

And the others? What about the day they flew the tricolour?
    I believed the mantra about the 100 years, and you obviously did too. It's patently nonsense.
    As my young fella says, 'You all got owned'.
    It's more blarney to mobilise those with a sense of victimhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So it is only intended to remind taigs in Royal avenue of their colonial status, not those in the side streets.
    How measured.

• Advertisement

And the others? What about the day they flew the tricolour?
    I believed the mantra about the 100 years, and you obviously did too. It's patently nonsense.
    As my young fella says, 'You all got owned'.
    It's more blarney to mobilise those with a sense of victimhood.

You have yet to present any thing conculsive, an unsubstantiated document which refers to government buildings as opposed to the city hall ( city hall not infact being a 'government building') specifically some random again unsubstantiated photos including one of the side of city hall where the union flag has never flown. And you expect to proof what exactly? You think your pontificating Actully changes anything, you think those protesting care. I suppose you can bask inthe glow of your fellow nationalist poster patting you on the back because they are going to support you sticking it to the unionists even though as I have already said you have proven nothing. Show me a substantiated document that proves all the main stream media outlets as well as all the unionists wrong

I sure hope that english is not your mother tongue! The literal interpretation of the quote says nothing of the flag being a permanent fixture since 1906, rather it correctly points out that it was the only flag allowed to be flown, thereby dominating the skyline is obviously referring to the days when actually flown as no alternative (such as the tricolour) has been flown on the days which the union flag was not flown.

"On 3 December 2012, City Council voted to limit the days that the Union Flag flys from City Hall to no more than 20 designated days. Since 1906, the flag had been flown every day of the year. The move was backed by the Council's Irish nationalist Councillors and by its Alliance Party Councillors. It was opposed by the unionist Councillors."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_City_Hall

While unionist politicians have indicated their opposition to the change of policy, there is quiet acceptance that they would lose out in the vote and the flag that has flown over City Hall since it opened its door in 1906 will come down on most days of the year.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/crucial-vote-will-mean-union-flag-flying-on-fewer-days-at-belfast-city-hall-16167821.html#ixzz2INVHQdJ2

You have yet to present any thing conculsive, an unsubstantiated document which refers to government buildings as opposed to the city hall ( city hall not infact being a 'government building') specifically some random again unsubstantiated photos including one of the side of city hall where the union flag has never flown. And you expect to proof what exactly? You think your pontificating Actully changes anything, you think those protesting care. I suppose you can bask inthe glow of your fellow nationalist poster patting you on the back because they are going to support you sticking it to the unionists even though as I have already said you have proven nothing. Show me a substantiated document that proves all the main stream media outlets as well as all the unionists wrong
    "On 3 December 2012, City Council voted to limit the days that the Union Flag flys from City Hall to no more than 20 designated days. Since 1906, the flag had been flown every day of the year. The move was backed by the Council's Irish nationalist Councillors and by its Alliance Party Councillors. It was opposed by the unionist Councillors."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_City_Hall

You and the rioters wittering on about it flying 365 days since 1906 is not 'conclusive proof' no matter how much you swallow, photo after photo is more conclusive than that.

Tell us, what was happening this day in 1910? Laundry day again? :rolleyes:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/belfast/social_conditions/4.html

You and the rioters wittering on about it flying 365 days since 1906 is not 'conclusive proof' no matter how much you swallow, photo after photo is more conclusive than that.

Tell us, what was happening this day in 1910? Laundry day again? :rolleyes:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/belfast/social_conditions/4.html

Just gave you two links, one from wikipeda and one from the Belfast telegraph both stating that the union flag has flown from city hall since 1906

Just gave you two links, one from wikipeda and one from the Belfast telegraph both stating that the union flag has flown from city hall since 1906

Newspaper fails to research properly and Wickpedia Wrong Shocker!

237026.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

junder must have the fleg specs on looking at those pictures

GRMA wrote: »
    junder must have the fleg specs on looking at those pictures

I think all the pawns got a pair!
    Shocking that nobody in the media has called them on this.

Newspaper fails to research properly and Wickpedia Wrong Shocker!

237026.jpg

Top picture seems to be missing all the flag poles to, bit of a photoshop mistake there chum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

bloody hell junder... you think he photoshopped it?

:D:D:D:D

You think your pontificating Actully changes anything, you think those protesting care.

Nah they wouldnt and this is the problem isnt it? They dont care what the rest of Northern Ireland, no mind the rest of Ireland think.

In Junder's world men can be women if they decide too, so why not?

Who cares about reality if you have "Loyalty"?

Didn't he? I suppose it's as likely as 3 sepperate sources all maintaining that the flag has been flown at city hall all year around since it was built, being wrong, but hey why let facts get in the way

As I said, take that argument over to the LGBT forum as tell them they are not the gender they define themselves as, you never heard them term transgendered before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Sure looks like the first pic has been altered, there is a chunk of the main triangle bit the flag would be on, zoom in and you can see it, second pic is so far away, again if you zoom in you can see what would be a dropping flag creating a dark patch on on of the uprights.

To what end is this new argument though? Its unreasonable to say that the flag has been up every one of the tens of thousands of days it should have been, maintenance, cleaning strong wind, man who put it up sick etc would mean it was probably down quite a few days but who even argued that, are you denying it has been policy to fly it? What is your actual point? Or are you just using school yard tactics to try to make people look stupid I.e "look it wasnt up every day anyway"

The reality is that you are a fascist, telling people what nationality they are? Are you for real, you really have a hard time understanding that I am british? Born in the UK, check, British passport and British citizen, check.

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »
    The reality is that you are a fascist, telling people what nationality they are? Are you for real, you really have a hard time understanding that I am british? Born in the UK, check, British passport and British citizen, check.

Than everyone born in Northern Ireland is British.

Than everyone born in Northern Ireland is British.
    If you say so, I would be inclined to let them decided that for themselves though, tell me, if two irish people are holidaying in the artic and the woman gives birth is the baby an Eskimo?

Top picture seems to be missing all the flag poles to, bit of a photoshop mistake there chum
    Didn't he? I suppose it's as likely as 3 sepperate sources all maintaining that the flag has been flown at city hall all year around since it was built, being wrong, but hey why let facts get in the way

The ORIGINAL photo is here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45569257@N05/8300384735/in/pool-461824@N21/lightbox/

And here's one from the 50's,

Maybe this is the time that you shift the goalposts and start complaining about Garda collusion, SF getting all the sweeties, and how it is all Iris's fault?:D

The ORIGINAL photo is here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45569257@N05/8300384735/in/pool-461824@N21/lightbox/

Maybe this is the time that you shift the goalposts and start complaining about Garda collusion, SF getting all the sweeties, and how it is all Iris's fault?:D

Original? Prove it,

Can I ask you hat the point of your argument is?

If you say so, I would be inclined to let them decided that for themselves though, tell me, if two irish people are holidaying in the artic and the woman gives birth is the baby an Eskimo?

Do you really honestly believe that people in Northern Ireland are two separate nations? Do you honestly believe that you have more in common with someone from Kent than you do from Newry?

As I said, take that argument over to the LGBT forum as tell them they are not the gender they define themselves as, you never heard them term transgendered before?

Can trannies give birth or have periods?

When they start rioting over being accepted as women I will post there.

Trannies? What do you call gay people, ******s? Proberly a good job you don't go and post on the LGBT forum, I don't think you would last long.
    I am sure many transgendered women do indeed wish they could have periods and give birth but due to an accident of birth, they where born in what they feel is the wrong body, but does the fact they can't have periods or give birth make them anyless female? why not go ask them

Do you really honestly believe that people in Northern Ireland are two separate nations? Do you honestly believe that you have more in common with someone from Kent than you do frowry?
    Well, it would be as you said, easier to peg everyone in n.i as British, what with it being a british state and all but there is a thing called self determination, people born in the section of the UK called northern Ireland but feel more of an affinity with ireland can indeed decide to be irish and get an irish passport etc all while still living in the UK. Understand now?

• Advertisement

Original? Prove it,

That is it on it's flickr site, I didn't alter it. You are really clutching now.
    It's plainly evident that the flag has not flown every day. Invented traditions to rise the rabble while political leaders engage in self serving assasination. Pathetic, that ordinary people are being used like that and that ordinary people are so hidebound that they choose to ignore what is really going on. That is the point I am making Gallag.

One more, 1964

You are truly a fascist.

That is it on it's flickr site, I didn't alter it. You are really clutching now.
    It's plainly evident that the flag has not flown every day. Invented traditions to rise the rabble while political leaders engage in self serving assasination. Pathetic, that ordinary people are being used like that and that ordinary people are so hidebound that they choose to ignore what is really going on. That is the point I am making Gallag.

One more, 1964

So tell me where the missing flag poles are then? All 5 of them

One more, 1964
    So are you saying it was not policy to fly it 365? Again, I am sure there are many days it did not fly and for many reasons but I think we can all agree there was no policy saying it should not fly, I just dont really see what you are getting at?

Trannies? What do you call gay people, ******s? Proberly a good job you don't go and post on the LGBT forum, I don't think you would last long.
    I am sure many transgendered women do indeed wish they could have periods and give birth but due to an accident of birth, they where born in what they feel is the wrong body, but does the fact they can't have periods or give birth make them anyless female? why not go ask them

Uh most gay men are definitely sure they are men and dont "identify" as women.

Anyone who wishes too have periods is totally crazy.

Here we go, try a dose of the man flu if you want to understand suffering :-)

• Advertisement

Uh most gay men are definitely sure they are men and dont "identify" as women.

I was refering to your derogatry use of words like 'trannie'

I was refering to your derogatry use of words like 'trannie'

Dont you have to be a Protestant to join the Apprentice Boys?

Are you actually a Protestant? Do any Protestant Churches in Ireland believe that you can choose your gender as you wish?

Maybe the Non-subscribing Presbyterians do but they are not awfully fond of Loyalism.

Or are you a Protestant in so much as you dislike Tea eggs?

Dont you have to be a Protestant to join the Apprentice Boys?

Are you actually a Protestant? Do any Protestant Churches in Ireland believe that you can choose your gender as you wish?

Maybe the Non-subscribing Presbyterians do but they are not awfully fond of Loyalism.

Or are you a Protestant in so much as you dislike Tea eggs?

What are you whittring on about? For the record I am not racist, homophobic, sexist or sectarian, I'm sorry ( well actually I'm not) that I don't fit into your bigoted stereotype of what a loyslist should be but then i suffer from this condition known as being human, one of the most obvious symptoms of bring human is being an individual, another symptom of the human condition is having my own beliefs, Unfortuntly this condition is terminal and its unlikely (although not impossible) that I will live past 100 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

What are you whittring on about?

rich coming from the person dragging homosexuality into a thread about the union flag

So are you saying it was not policy to fly it 365? Again, I am sure there are many days it did not fly and for many reasons but I think we can all agree there was no policy saying it should not fly, I just dont really see what you are getting at?

:D:D:D:D^^^^ I think we have found the solution.
    You guys tell everybody it is 'policy to fly it 365 days' but we will only actually fly it on the designated days. Everybody happy?, now about these 'traditional' march routes..............................

• Advertisement
Advertisement