Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Poor Orla, she is one of the best actresses on FC but nothing ever goes right for her. Please Please script writers let her win the lotto and buy mc coys and really rub Bonnies face in it.
    I think that either Tommy or Luke has to die! perhaps the Coveeien could kill luke and be send to jail forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

These are my sentiments entirely eviltwin, but there is no "probably" in it! The noble posture of ace thespian, Stephen shines out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark. Surely to God the script writers of Fair City have enough imagination and kop on to construct a complex and entertaining storyline which brings the obvious talents of Stephen into the foreground. For far too long the long suffering licence payers of RTE have watched in dismay the failure to use Stephen in any meaningful way. The people of Ireland deserve more. Much much more. The time will come when it will be too late and an uprising more akin to the Irish Rebellion of 1798, possibly the most concentrated outbreak of violence in Irish history, which resulted in thousands of deaths over the course of three months. For the sake of World Peace make Stephen proprietor of McCoys and make Stephen the main man in Carrickstown.:cool:

Its people like you that make me hate this thread.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

pookiesboo wrote: »

Its people like you that make me hate this thread.....

Maybe Stephen posts aswell as spoilers should be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spanishgem

Nope, none of them are real, just giant panels of wooden sets and scaffolding...

wow well then those houses are good actors. They look very real

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Title : In defense of Stephen...a case study on an integral part in McCoy's in Fair City and why we should care

Abstract

Load him or love him, Stephen the barman is here to stay. This comment shall argue that Stephen is an important part in the viewers' and therefore, this threads' psyche, and that posts should be allowed to discuss him.

Literature Review

Watched Fair City non-stop for the last four years. Lived outside of Ireland so don't ask me the lengths I go through to watch it. Been on the forum here for a long time too.

Discussion

I don't look at this forum every day (always after I have watched an episode) but I enjoy the Stephen jokes. I think loads of shows have a character like that and it's kinda an inside joke. It shows how long or how some of us are into the show. On the Liverpool Thread we have Doni, Star Trek DS9 has Rom, Fair City has Stephen. Characters that the hard-core fans love to talk about. We see the small details, rewind back to watch a funny part again, take screen shots (remember Nessa in the bar or Orla in that dress!) to post up here and spot the mistakes. We love it all...so why not the Stephen jokes?

I think it has generated a lot of funny comments and views in this thread. Sometimes he has a word or two and we all crack up about it saying how he stole the show. In all fairness, the actor is more real life than some others and must know the show and staff inside out. I don't know many other shows where a character is so visible but so quiet. Half of Ireland knows his name and his job but that's about it. Would it work on Glenroe or Ros na Run? Don't think so.

Results

Can't we just all get along? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

sffc wrote: »
    Maybe Stephen posts aswell as spoilers should be covered?

That's going to be a lot of covering on some days! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

nice_very wrote: »
    well said Blanch... we know this is what Irelands favourite barman deserves, however lets go step by step.. more lines than Yeah, OK, I'll drop it down, Thanks, No Problem. The mood of the country lifted there when he got the Pinta D'Or* nominated "Boss" line/smile to Orla when she started in McCoys.

*no such award exists, but it should, and Stephen should win it as best soap Bartender (although the 3 brunettes in emmerdale are niiiice)

Indeed Yes, Nice_Very. Stephen (The Best Bloody Barman Bar None) must be given a prominent presence in Fair City as THE MAIN character in the show. Time is of the essence as time and motion waits for no man or woman and this deed must be done NOW. Wars are being fought in many part of this ever changing world in which we live in which makes you give in and cry. So give Steve a try.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

The first ten Stephen posts were amusing. The last ten dozen have not been. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What's with all the sand in the ******'s about Stephen....it's a fair city thread, Stephen is in fair city...he is awesome...so it's fair game to discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

What's with all the sand in the ******'s about Stephen....it's a fair city thread, Stephen is in fair city...he is awesome...so it's fair game to discuss

Jesus - next we'll have Stephenites and anti-Stephenites !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I wonder does Stephen hold the record for being the longest serving extra on a soap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

OK I'm sorry to anyone who dislikes posts regarding to Stephen. But in all fairness did the writers ever think of consulting with the person who plays the character with regard to the latest storyline of Yvonne's treatment of Orla.

If you trust someone enough to deal with cash you are going to train them in the area of catering. Yvonne threatened Orla without even a mention of "labour costs V's net sales". Which is a sure sign and unrefutable sign that things need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Title : In defense of Stephen...a case study on an integral part in McCoy's in Fair City and why we should care

Abstract

Load him or love him, Stephen the barman is here to stay. This comment shall argue that Stephen is an important part in the viewers' and therefore, this threads' psyche, and that posts should be allowed to discuss him.

Literature Review

Watched Fair City non-stop for the last four years. Lived outside of Ireland so don't ask me the lengths I go through to watch it. Been on the forum here for a long time too.

Discussion

I don't look at this forum every day (always after I have watched an episode) but I enjoy the Stephen jokes. I think loads of shows have a character like that and it's kinda an inside joke. It shows how long or how some of us are into the show. On the Liverpool Thread we have Doni, Star Trek DS9 has Rom, Fair City has Stephen. Characters that the hard-core fans love to talk about. We see the small details, rewind back to watch a funny part again, take screen shots (remember Nessa in the bar or Orla in that dress!) to post up here and spot the mistakes. We love it all...so why not the Stephen jokes?

I think it has generated a lot of funny comments and views in this thread. Sometimes he has a word or two and we all crack up about it saying how he stole the show. In all fairness, the actor is more real life than some others and must know the show and staff inside out. I don't know many other shows where a character is so visible but so quiet. Half of Ireland knows his name and his job but that's about it. Would it work on Glenroe or Ros na Run? Don't think so.

Results

Can't we just all get along? :)

Hear, hear!
    Fair play to ya.
    Actually, your post reminded me of a humorous anecdote about Stephen (or moreso the chap who plays him) which I was told by Michael Sheehan (aka. Dean Dowling) when I visited the set a couple of years back. We were all (by which I mean, the fans of the show and the cast/crew who were present on the day of the visit) were joking about how great Stephen was, as we do here... and Michael informed me that while, the extras generally kept to themselves between takes or conversed with their fellow extras, Stephen is part of the family and jokes around and hangs out with the rest of the cast. I think its great having him there - on one hand I'd love to see him have a more prominent role, but on the other hand I think that would ruin some of the mystery and comedy surrounding this character...

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

gubby wrote: »
    Poor Orla, she is one of the best actresses on FC but nothing ever goes right for her. Please Please script writers let her win the lotto and buy mc coys and really rub Bonnies face in it.
    I think that either Tommy or Luke has to die! perhaps the Coveeien could kill luke and be send to jail forever

Poor Orla me eye, she was expecting the same time as me and to watch her in the waiting room she was playing herself with a bit of added where are me fans. Anyone that walked past her were getting the do ye want me autograph look, followed by the....do ye know who I am stare

Indeed Yes, Nice_Very. Stephen (The Best Bloody Barman Bar None) must be given a prominent presence in Fair City as THE MAIN character in the show. Time is of the essence as time and motion waits for no man or woman and this deed must be done NOW. Wars are being fought in many part of this ever changing world in which we live in which makes you give in and cry. So give Steve a try.....:cool:

Its a wonder a moderator hasn't been on and moved your comments to the comedy forum because they are sooooooooooooooooooooo funny...

Sorry I thought the only people who used the word 'awesome' were Bill and Ted and the Mutant Ninja Turtles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Does Paul have a tone of voice that doesn't sound angry/pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

What did Ben say when he burst in on Jo and Dermot? I couldn't make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

branie wrote: »
    What did Ben say when he burst in on Jo and Dermot? I couldn't make it out.

sounded like = dad dad stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

People falling over themselves to give this chancer cheques for >10k ??? Have the writers any grasp of reality... People can even get a cheque for 10k from people who OWE them 10k...

Niamh is fekn huge since the last time I saw her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

People falling over themselves to give this chancer cheques for >10k ??? Have the writers any grasp of reality... People can even get a cheque for 10k from people who OWE them 10k...

Niamh is fekn huge since the last time I saw her..

Yeah it was the same with the Ford Cortina Wayne bought for €500 and then sold for €50,000. Like that is a 10,000% profit, i.e totally unheard of. Have the writers any idea of financial realities at all ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Dermot's little anecdote about Ben falling off his bike and kicking his wheel actually mirrors the actor's (ben) own life. The actor realises that he is woeful at acting so instead of trying to fix his acting ability, he metaphorically kicks at the patience of the audience claiming that he is angry with them but he is actually angry with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Dermot's little anecdote about Ben falling off his bike and kicking his wheel actually mirrors the actor's (ben) own life. The actor realises that he is woeful at acting so instead of trying to fix his acting ability, he metaphorically kicks at the patience of the audience claiming that he is angry with them but he is actually angry with himself.

Oh my poor head :D

Oh dont Dermish, dont go back to her .... :(

Was that Paul speaking there or the Ghost Of Harry Molly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Paul ya big eejit. I'll have no sympathy when you ring Joe Duffy whinging and crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

What kind of a gombeen hands a cheque for 10k to some eejit on the side of the street?
    As for Luke ripping the coat off judith and taking her hair down...I'm waiting for the fair city spin off...'50 shades of greyie'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Fair play to Dermot for going to the pub and not playing along with Jo's scheme. I would have been very annoyed if they just kissed and made up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,828 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

baldbear wrote: »
    Paul ya big eejit. I'll have no sympathy when you ring Joe Duffy whinging and crying.

Yes obvious Paul will lose his investment, no sympathy for him either

McCoys should do karaoke a few nights and lol'd at Orla singing to Yvonne but she wasnt too bad btw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement