Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Ps im not saying its the 'right choice'. I think RTE should be fair to all its demographics and stick to schedules and cater for all licence payers regardless of an irregular clash like this. God knows, between repeats, recording options, rte + 1 and rte player its not as if they can claim to be worried about viewers missing the episode. Cheap way to cut costs again by RTE but i disagree that Champ league wont be more popular choice by miles if choice was there.

There isn't even an English team playing in Wednesday's match (I know that Man United, Liverpool and other English teams have significant numbers of fans in this country) but I cannot believe that there is a significant number of fans of either Borussia Dortmund or Real Madrid in the Republic of Ireland.

Therefore, the idea that there would be more people interested in that match than in Fair City doesn't make sense.

I wonder have any Fair City viewers complained to RTÉ on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Its not about there not being an english team? Its the semi final of the biggest club football tournament in the world. RTE pay a lot to earn the rights to show games and are trying to maximise revenue. By not placing 2 relatively popular programme choices (albeit common sense dictates that the match will be far more popular than what is rapidly becoming a laughing stock of a soap opera) they ensure that the companies advertising their products will pay top dollar for their slot. Also, when the scheduling was made, perhaps 2 months ago, Rte would still be unaware of whom the semi finalists would be. So with arsenal and utd still in running at that stage, they would have made the decision. I understand that you clearly arent a soccer fan judging by your taste in preference to watch Christyano Phelano rather than Christiano Ronaldo but trust me you are in a minority mate unfortunately.

As I said I empathise with you. If, say, cricket was so popular in Ireland (even though im not a fan) that it was put on instead of, say, for arguments sake my daily watch of the tg4 weather girl (mairead ni chuaig- google her!) id be disheartened but id understand the economical logic of it. It happens with the English soaps also, lest you forget so you cant just blame the RTE bigwigs for such shenanigans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Its not about there not being an english team? Its the semi final of the biggest club football tournament in the world. RTE pay a lot to earn the rights to show games and are trying to maximise revenue. By not placing 2 relatively popular programme choices (albeit common sense dictates that the match will be far more popular than what is rapidly becoming a laughing stock of a soap opera) they ensure that the companies advertising their products will pay top dollar for their slot. Also, when the scheduling was made, perhaps 2 months ago, Rte would still be unaware of whom the semi finalists would be. So with arsenal and utd still in running at that stage, they would have made the decision. I understand that you clearly arent a soccer fan judging by your taste in preference to watch Christyano Phelano rather than Christiano Ronaldo but trust me you are in a minority mate unfortunately.
    Thank you for the explanation.

You're very welcome! Enjoy the football sir! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Paddy Bishop really showing his true colours now :D
    He's like the hulk don't make me angry you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Paddy did not look too happy tonight. Indeed he was mighty vexed and the question now is who will he hit first?
      Will it be Dermot for continually interrupting the hard working Paddy during his well earned tea break in the community centre?
      Will it be Paul for being such a smarmy bollox and super stud?
      Will it be Zumo who Paddy despises for being such a soft disappointment of a Bishop man aka Edmund Blackadder and the King?
      Will it be Viv for carrying on with Ray the always spotless grease monkey?
      Will it be the same Ray for ignoring the sound advice Paddy gave to him to keep away from his moth?
    OR
      Will is be Stephen (the best bloody barman bar none) for being the only REAL MAN in the whole of Carrickstown?

I reckon it Will be Stephen, whence during a row between Paul & paddy bishop, the bould Stephen serves paddy a depth charge to disarm him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

jos28 wrote: »
    Nah, all that remains to remind us of Oisin is the photo on the sideboard

I was thinking that alright. Oisin (and Nicola) are never mentioned and I can't remember the last time Paul went All The Way to Cork or wherever they're supposed to be living to see Oisin. Its a long way from the heady days of Blue Dolphin in all its glory. Although it all got a bit incestuous there in the end! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sigourney wrote: »
    Djamember poor Johnny One? Ah, Jayzes, I feel old.
    He had the same haircut for 6 years :D

Where is he now?

Well I remember he was trying to buy drugs from Jimmy Rabbitt in the Commitments :)

Zumo needs a love interest! Any ideas. . . . Jo, Niamh, Caoimhe, Judith, wayne, . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Radio5 wrote: »
    I was thinking that alright. Oisin (and Nicola) are never mentioned and I can't remember the last time Paul went All The Way to Cork or wherever they're supposed to be living to see Oisin. Its a long way from the heady days of Blue Dolphin in all its glory. Although it all got a bit incestuous there in the end! ;)

We never hear about Damien's brother either, can't remember his name......oh Mark !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Felexicon

They were mentioned in last nights episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Zumo needs a love interest! Any ideas. . . . Jo, Niamh, Caoimhe, Judith, wayne, . . . . .

I've been saying for ages that Zumo has never been seen with a woman. I think they should give him a male love interest. For all we know Zumo has been in the closet for all his time on FC. I'd love to see show it would be dealt with in Zumo's tough male world.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,785 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He's like the hulk don't make me angry you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

I was waiting for him to turn green :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Thought the child-sounding announcer sounded a little bit like whoever the actress is who plays Rachel? Might not have been, but it certainly reminded me of her (though the voice-over sounded even younger than she normally does)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hmmm, speaking of Stephen, wonder was he in 'the bar' in New York after the Giants Stadium in 1994.
    If he was, all the customers would be pregnant, even the men :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I love to see what Lucy would do to Wayne and Eddie for robbing from Dolly bet Wayne would wish he was inside prison instead of her punishment :p

#lucyneededbackurgentlyincarrigstown

That is the only scenario I would love to see involving the Lucy character, I couldn't tolerate another long drawn out uneventful storyline but an introduction of a sinister stalker who is out for revenge is a good addition to a soap. Lucy would fit the bill - I enjoy the dramatic side of it anyway!:)

It is totally unrealistic to have this forgotten son and then invent one just to threaten Paul's marriage to make the tv guide cover. He will soon be cast aside and forgotten. Nicola and the boy only went to Cork but it as if they died or never existed in the first place..............................??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Yea why didn't they just have Oisin return and acting up and Nicola has to go abroad for the Summer or something...
    Especially if
    theyre just gearing up for a Bishop/Brennan feud due to Charlotte and Callum hooking up

That's just my own speculation now nothing confirmed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If he was, all the customers would be pregnant, even the men :rolleyes:
    While Stephen (the best bloody barman bar none) should have the right to impregnate the male of the species even he cannot defy the laws of nature as we do not have a womb for the fetus to gestate in. :eek: This right was discussed during the Life of Brian many years ago. Perhaps the Monty Python team had Stephen in mind when writing this :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Randomiser

Yea why didn't they just have Oisin return and acting up and Nicola has to go abroad for the Summer or something...
    Especially if
    theyre just gearing up for a Bishop/Brennan feud due to Charlotte and Callum hooking up

That's just my own speculation now nothing confirmed

Oisin is still a kid - 15 I think. I imagine they were looking for somebody a bit older to come in who could do more and cause more trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Suppose, he could still cause some trouble tho... He could rob some sweets from Spar it would be a riot

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jenny wren 1950

yay! my luke is back :cool:

If the "new" son and Rachel get together, that will be just a repeat of the Heather and Floyd thing which is sort of ridiculous really.

wordsmithi wrote: »
    If the "new" son and Rachel get together, that will be just a repeat of the Heather and Floyd thing which is sort of ridiculous really.

Na I still think we might see a Rachel and Sean romance more than her and Callum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Forget about the yoga, Judith... Greyie is back in town.. :cool:

Callum: "Paul did you ever hear of contraception" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Callum's getting all the best lines tonight:

To Paul: "Have you ever heard of contraception?"

Also to Paul: "Do you think I want a tosser like you for a dad?"

That contraception line was gold but if Paul had heard of it then it would have deprived Fair City of about 75% of its storylines. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mike hunt Jnr

So handy just been able to bump into your local doctor and sort out a DNA test in the local community centre. And Luke is only gone a wet day and he's met a new bird in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

So handy just been able to bump into your local doctor and sort out a DNA test in the local community centre. And Luke is only gone a wet day and he's met a new bird in Canada.

Yep, they were the two questions I was left with after the first half of FC as well..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement