Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ray is Niamh's step father or was he not married to Gina before she died?

Yes Gina was killed by Barry on her and Rays wedding day.
    Niamh said after that he was as good as her stepfather and would always be.
    Also rays son mondo and Niamh's younger sister Kira have a child Juliet v together in London (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

peewee_44 wrote: »
    Very uncool of Pete and Damion to expect Tommy to work for Luke under the circumstances.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous myself expecting him to work like that. Going behind his back was bad too...should have just come out with it first and given Tommy time off to chill out (which he is doing anyway).

Loved the part when he was staring at that house. Mad things going through his head for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to burn the place down with Luke and Judy in it.

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes Gina was killed by Barry on her and Rays wedding day.
    Niamh said after that he was as good as her stepfather and would always be.
    Also rays son mondo and Niamh's younger sister Kira have a child Juliet v together in London (I think)

Would love to see Mondo and Kira back. I remember that story line years ago when they had the child. What year was that does anyone remember?

tommy left paralzyed after his fight with blackie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

tommy left paralzyed after his fight with blackie

For serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Would love to see Mondo and Kira back. I remember that story line years ago when they had the child. What year was that does anyone remember?

I think 2004 or 2005.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    For serious?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    For serious?
    why not, bare fists versus a slashers :D

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I think 2004 or 2005.

I think it was earlier than that. I left for Korea in early 2004 so it must have been before that I think, perhaps end of 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I thought it was a bit ridiculous myself expecting him to work like that. Going behind his back was bad too...should have just come out with it first and given Tommy time off to chill out (which he is doing anyway).

I thought this too, OK, we know Tommy is a douche but Pete and Damian don't know the ins and outs of it all and they're meant to be his friends.
    You'd think they would have said "look we really need the money from this job but we don't expect you to get involved and you can be in charge of the other day to day stuff etc"
    Tommy probably would've thrown a strop anyway though.
    Also that Deegan is a strange one, ignores Tommy wanting to report "white collar crime" and Vivienne's concerns about Paddy but he's all over Ama and her missing bag... He's on to her.

Have we heard the last of Eddie yet? Surely Decco and Wayne will be dragged down when he goes on trial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Neasa is a fine bit of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Does anyone remember Terry Deegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I remember now. She's TJ's mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Niamh's weight is noticeable, apart from the fact that it doesn't really Look great, it is UNHEALTHY. She isn't doing a thing about it either fond of getting her 11s, takeaways etc. Some things need to be written into the story line and if a character or the actress who plays her is overweight, the storyline should do things to say it is time for her to do something about it. A person suddenly receiving a lot of money would do some self improvement, certainly clothes, hair, gym should be high in priority. We have an epidemic of obesity, and the many problems it brings, social and medical. Are we supposed to kill these people with kindness or say the truth? It isn't healthy for a human to be stones above their proper body weight.

I just came online tonight and saw some people saying people like me comment on Niamh but will you put your picture up etc., then "I thought not", in the same post. Well I hadn't got my crystal ball, so I couldn't post a picture before I read what you posted. But no matter what size a poster is, the actress is unhappily overweight, that's a fact and I have two eyes to see it. Happily I am 5'11" and a size 10, but that doesn't affect the truth or my eyesight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295542_4943056487676_1162164943_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/25550_1330275170401_8349189_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Cathyht wrote: »
    But no matter what size a poster is, the actress is unhappily overweight, that's a fact and I have two eyes to see it. Happily I am 5'11" and a size 10, but that doesn't affect the truth or my eyesight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295542_4943056487676_1162164943_n.jpg

You've got a nice healthy coat too, good strong cannons, easily able to carry a grown person like in the picture... :D

Niamh's weight is noticeable, apart from the fact that it doesn't really Look great, it is UNHEALTHY. She isn't doing a thing about it either fond of getting her 11s, takeaways etc. Some things need to be written into the story line and if a character or the actress who plays her is overweight, the storyline should do things to say it is time for her to do something about it. A person suddenly receiving a lot of money would do some self improvement, certainly clothes, hair, gym should be high in priority. We have an epidemic of obesity, and the many problems it brings, social and medical. Are we supposed to kill these people with kindness or say the truth? It isn't healthy for a human to be stones above their proper body weight.

I just came online tonight and saw some people saying people like me comment on Niamh but will you put your picture up etc., then "I thought not", in the same post. Well I hadn't got my crystal ball, so I couldn't post a picture before I read what you posted. But no matter what size a poster is, the actress is unhappily overweight, that's a fact and I have two eyes to see it. Happily I am 5'11" and a size 10, but that doesn't affect the truth or my eyesight.

Fair play and well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

But no matter what size a poster is, the actress is unhappily overweight, that's a fact and I have two eyes to see it. Happily I am 5'11" and a size 10, but that doesn't affect the truth or my eyesight.

I guess people who don't know the actress are standing up for her against mean things other people are saying. But seeing as you know her to be able to say she is " unhappily overweight" maybe you are right and she should lose weight in case she offends people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Curlysue76 wrote: »

I guess people who don't know the actress are standing up for her against mean things other people are saying. But seeing as you know her to be able to say she is " unhappily overweight" maybe you ate right and she should lose weight in case she offends people.

She is 'unhappily' overweight. Meaning an unhappy event regarding her heart, joints and other systems, as opposed to the meaning you interpreted; (but not necessarily excluding) her own attitude towards excess weight.

Anyway the pity of it is she was so gorgeous a few years ago, she isn't healthy and she could look and feel a lot better. Dermot and Barry lost weight, Jo came back after having a baby in real life, and she is slim(ish). Something like keeping optimum weight is in our own hands. Putting heavier and heavier actresses on the screen to salve the conscience of fat viewers and to de-sensitise us to overweight people is wrong. It is giving the impression it is acceptable to carry this weight around and not do anything about it. It is wrong to encourage and normalise obesity. Carol is getting overweight too, Ray is, Mrs Bishop, Zumo.

Or Maybe they should just beef the rest of the cast up and call the show The Hungry Pigs.

As you say in the quote, maybe I ate right....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

1/3 of the population smoke, sometimes quite happily yet we rarely see anyone smoking on FC or indeed television generally now. The reason? it's considered a grave threat to public health and its normalisation by allowing smoking on tv it is seen as unacceptable. If we do see anyone smoking they are either an unlikable character or it is portrayed in a very negative way , in essence a character flaw.
    Obesity is now as big a threat to public health as smoking if not bigger .There really is no reason we should be subjected to the normalisation of being overweight and living an unhealthy lifestyle as many FC characters do - not just Niamh - Ray and Vivienne spring to mind . At no point do any of those three moan about their weight or try and change. If that was smoking the episodes wouldn't be aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Niamh's weight is noticeable, apart from the fact that it doesn't really Look great, it is UNHEALTHY. She isn't doing a thing about it either fond of getting her 11s, takeaways etc. Some things need to be written into the story line and if a character or the actress who plays her is overweight, the storyline should do things to say it is time for her to do something about it. url]

Surely there's a "healthy eating" forum somewhere where you guys can knock yourselves out. Meanwhile, the rest of us can stick to enjoying, critirising, and commenting on 'Fair City' as entertainment, not a series about healthy nutrition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

coolhull wrote: »
    Surely there's a "healthy eating" forum somewhere where you guys can knock yourselves out. Meanwhile, the rest of us can stick to enjoying, critirising, and commenting on 'Fair City' as entertainment, not a series about healthy nutrition

Absolutely + 100.

Fair City is a soap opera, everyday folk, doing everyday things (to a point). Walk down any street in any town, and you will see people of all shapes and sizes...that's life folks.
    TBH, I think the comments on this thread lately, about Niamh/Clelia have been bl**dy disgraceful. She is an actress, and we should judge her on her acting, not her size. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It's fairly noticeable that she's put on weight but there's no need for people to go on about it. Firstly because it's not central to the show so I don't see why people need to discuss it here. Secondly, a soap is supposed to reflect real-life (sort of) and in fairness not everyone walking around in real life is slim. And thirdly- believe me, someone who is overweight knows they are overweight. They don't need people pointing it out. You could say "well why don't they do something about it then"- but honestly, people harping on at them makes feck all difference. Like any problem or addiction- they have to come to that conclusion themselves.

I think people should just move on now and go back to discussing the show. Just my tuppence worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Meangadh wrote: »
    It's fairly noticeable that she's put on weight but there's no need for people to go on about it. Firstly because it's not central to the show so I don't see why people need to discuss it here. Secondly, a soap is supposed to reflect real-life (sort of) and in fairness not everyone walking around in real life is slim. And thirdly- believe me, someone who is overweight knows they are overweight. They don't need people pointing it out. You could say "well why don't they do something about it then"- but honestly, people harping on at them makes feck all difference. Like any problem or addiction- they have to come to that conclusion themselves.

I think people should just move on now and go back to discussing the show. Just my tuppence worth anyway.

So should people 1/3 of the cast smoke with no comment ?

As I implied previously it's hardly " real life " that a young woman like Niamh would never comment on her size as indeed Vivienne who is meant to work in a doctors surgery! Nobody wants to watch a public information film but there's just no credibility there !

desbrook wrote: »
    Nobody wants to watch a public information film but there's just no credibility there !

it's just a soap, do we really want the cast to be interspersing conversation with the 'F' word or the 'C' word for instance, which they would be doing if it was to reflect reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭edelweis

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/25550_1330275170401_8349189_n.jpg

Would you ever get off your high horse missus?!! Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder!!! And, btw, you don't have to be overweight to be sensitive or polite about another person's size/figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

kinkygirl wrote: »
    Absolutely + 100.

Fair City is a soap opera, everyday folk, doing everyday things (to a point). Walk down any street in any town, and you will see people of all shapes and sizes...that's life folks.
    TBH, I think the comments on this thread lately, about Niamh/Clelia have been bl**dy disgraceful. She is an actress, and we should judge her on her acting, not her size. :mad:

Very well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

On a more serious note, how many episodes have commenced with Vivienne walking around the corner, into the shop, into the hungry pig etc followed 2 steps behind by Zumo. Is this a fair reflection of a 28 year old northside hardman. . . . . . . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Leave Niamh alone! Shes one of the best characters and actors in the soap. And shes pretty, i dont care about her weight, she looks good big or thin.

I definitely would :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

From Cathyht: "Happily I am 5'11" and a size 10, but that doesn't affect the truth or my eyesight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...62164943_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n..._8349189_n.jpg"

thinly-veiled 'I'm in the horse-owning set' post

• Advertisement

thinly-veiled 'I'm in the horse-owning set' post

I've a horse too, boss :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement