Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necessary to Ban 'first world problem' as a response

Options
  • 11-01-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not the correct forum to raise this

One thread/conversation killer that is used a lot at the moment is the response 'first world problem '

This invariably belittles some ones opinion and just kills any conversation that would have been possible

Just an opinion I have, be interesting to see if any one agrees or not

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Wow...talk about a first world problem

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Lisha wrote: »

One thread/conversation killer that is used a lot at the moment is the response 'first world problem '

This invariably belittles some ones opinion and just kills any conversation that would have been possible

Thanks

Specifically in AH, or site wide?

IMO, it's not a conversation killer. It's not an original response but I don't think it inhibits debate and conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I can think of several other phrases that are more repetitive and annoying tbh OP. I'm not sure many Somalians would empathise with you.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I wouldn't call it a convo killer. I'd call it annoying but it's just because it's being repeated at times.
    It'll still be funny at times, too.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just ban stupid threads instead perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Learn to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Why is it that people seem to get worked up over certain phrases?

Haven't 'yore ma' 'cool story boo' 'thinly veilled' and more been banned at this stage purely because people don't like the terms?

Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Thanks

I agree.

It is a pointless expression anyway. Everybody has "first world problems" Nobody in the developed World should define their expectations by reference to having enough to eat or somewhere to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Maybe after the above is completed we can move on to punctuation and grammar. Failure to adequately punctuate your sentences could result in a ten month ban?

Is this for real? If it annoys you, ignore it. If it's persistent, let the mods deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

MugMugs wrote: »
    Maybe after the above is completed we can move on to punctuation and grammar. Failure to adequately punctuate your sentences could result in a ten month ban?

Is this for real? If it annoys you, ignore it. If it's persistent, let the mods deal.

In my opinion grammar nazi-ism is quite different to using a belittling phrase as a verbal slap down

In the cases I've seen it used the phrase makes the op or another poster feel small for having a certain view point.
    We are all entitled to our opinion.

Also I was under the impression that feedback was the correct place to raise issues. If I was wrong apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Also I was under the impression that feedback was the correct place to raise issues. If I was wrong apologies
    You came to the right place to raise the matter, but it does not follow that you are entitled to have everybody agree with you.

In the forums that I follow, the expression is not used a great deal, so it generally does not annoy me. There are other forums where the style of discussion is different, where put-downs and attempts at humour (with a low success rate) are the norm. Because I don't much care for that sort of stuff, I tend not to spend much time in those forums and rarely, if ever, post in them.

The problem with banning memes is that the mob just moves on to adopt the next meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

You came to the right place to raise the matter, but it does not follow that you are entitled to have everybody agree with you.

In the forums that I follow, the expression is not used a great deal, so it generally does not annoy me. There are other forums where the style of discussion is different, where put-downs and attempts at humour (with a low success rate) are the norm. Because I don't much care for that sort of stuff, I tend not to spend much time in those forums and rarely, if ever, post in them.

The problem with banning memes is that the mob just moves on to adopt the next meme.

I suppose my own philosophy is to say nothing if I have nothing nice to say.
    I probably am slightly over sensitive to rudeness
    So off ignoring I shall go and all will be right with the world :)
    Thanks for all the opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

P_1 wrote: »

Haven't 'yore ma' 'cool story boo' 'thinly veilled' and more been banned at this stage purely because people don't like the terms?

Those people that constantly use that crap are only pushing their thanks count.
    Best option is to remove it from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Perhaps people could just try rebutting the response instead of trying to get it prohibited.

Talk about needing your hand held.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Absolutezero

Threads can be killed by all sorts of answers and comments. Thread death is a natural part of thread life. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rabies wrote: »
    Those people that constantly use that crap are only pushing their thanks count.
    Best option is to remove it from AH.

Or to just not thank them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

bluewolf wrote: »

Or to just not thank them
    But that doesn't kill their spirit.
    Have to do it like a cold knife through the heart.

Bring back the karma system. We/I can moan about it's failings later too :)

anncoates wrote: »
    Perhaps people could just try rebutting the response instead of trying to get it prohibited....
    You can't really engage constructively with a remark like "first world problem"; if you tried, you would end up mud-wrestling with intellectual low-lifes who are at home in a mucky environment.

I think OP is right in deciding to ignore such responses.

You can't really engage constructively with a remark like "first world problem"; if you tried, you would end up mud-wrestling with intellectual low-lifes who are at home in a mucky environment.

I think OP is right in deciding to ignore such responses.

Ignoring it and canvassing for it to be forbidden are two different things.

anncoates wrote: »
    Ignoring it and canvassing for it to be forbidden are two different things.
    Sure.

OP started by suggesting that the expression be banned and, after discussion here, decided that she would ignore it. But you are still opposing her initial position, one that she no longer holds.

• Advertisement

OP started by suggesting that the expression be banned and, after discussion here, decided that she would ignore it. But you are still opposing her initial position, one that she no longer holds.

Then don't quote my post and expect me not to answer? I was answering the OP and making a general point about the drive to eradicate certain lines of argument and phrases as opposed to dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

There probably isn't a single user who does not have a secret ban list in their heads. And if everyone got to apply it, that would be the end of any conversation.

I agree with you that "first world problem" doesn't really add anything. A first world problem is still a problem, right? If we didn't worry about them we might become the second or third world wouldn't we? What.... should we only be talking about bad water and widespread disease and nations getting bombed? Neh. That would get boring too.

Anyhow, yes it is a pity that some are less imaginative and have nothing better to say than "first world problem," "yawn," and "me too," and a few other annoying habits that make things a lot less interesting, but what can you do? Move forward and ignore it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If I see anything that starts off with a meme. I just scroll on by. I defended "Thinly Veiled," before in AH even though I didn't like the phrase. The various phrases are nothing more than fads that people copy because it seems fashionable. If it's something that seems as stupid to you as it does to me, just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

P_1 wrote: »

Don't forget "blast em with piss".

Can't be forgetting the classics.

Advertisement