Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel refusing refund of voucher?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Before Christmas someone we know secretly came to where we lived and asked people on the street somewhere nice to go for dinner. They then went to this hotel and purchased a €50 voucher specifically for use in the restaurant.

I called the restaurant today and they are closed until mid February, I enquired about a refund as the person who bought the voucher was not informed they were closed for over a month and they said they would have to speak to the manager.

The lady I initially spoke with phoned me back to advise she spoke with the manger on the manager's way out the door who said there will be no refund as the voucher can be used for a year.

The person who bought the voucher for us said she was told the voucher could be used anywhere, including the restaurant.

Bad form, no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just wait until they're open? Or are they saying you can't use it is the restaurant at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Just wait until they're open? Or are they saying you can't use it is the restaurant at all?

We can use it, just not until mid February, but surely they should have mentioned the restaurant closure when selling the voucher where they specifically mentioned the restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭28064212

dusf wrote: »
    We can use it, just not until mid February, but surely they should have mentioned the restaurant closure when selling the voucher where they specifically mentioned the restaurant?
    Should have? Maybe. Legally required to? No

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Should have? Maybe. Legally required to? No

I was thinking that might be the case but did not want to mention it to the hotel or here as I honestly do not know whether it is required or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But, while the voucher was bought for the restaurant, it can be used in any part of the hotel, including a hotel stay??

How was the hotel to know that it was bought only for the restaurant?

I can't see any grounds for a refund. Just wait until it's open again and then use it.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    But, while the voucher was bought for the restaurant, it can be used in any part of the hotel, including a hotel stay??

How was the hotel to know that it was bought only for the restaurant?

I can't see any grounds for a refund. Just wait until it's open again and then use it.

They said the voucher could be used anywhere in the hotel including the restaurant without mentioning the restaurant was closed the next 6 weeks. Even if the restaurant was not mentioned by the member of staff, this place charges €150 per night stay the intent of the buyer would have been very obvious.

They said the voucher could be used anywhere in the hotel including the restaurant without mentioning the restaurant was closed the next 6 weeks. Even if the restaurant was not mentioned by the member of staff, this place charges €150 per night stay the intent of the buyer would have been very obvious.
    And? The fact that the restaurant is closed for about 10% of the timeframe the voucher is valid for does not entitle you to anything. The restaurant doesn't have a responsibility to inform you of their opening times

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    And? The fact that the restaurant is closed for about 10% of the timeframe the voucher is valid for does not entitle you to anything. The restaurant doesn't have a responsibility to inform you of their opening times

Sure they do, and we are not talking about opening times or hours here, we are talking about opening MONTHS - or 6 weekly periods to be exact.

Also, how can that count as a period when the voucher is valid if they are not even open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Bad form, no?

On that point yes.

Sure they do
    They don't. Unless they went out of their way to hide the fact, it's up to the purchaser to inform themselves
    Also, how can that count as a period when the voucher is valid if they are not even open.
    Because the voucher is valid from the date of purchase? If they don't open on Sundays, does the voucher suddenly become not valid? Even if the voucher wasn't still usable for other purchases, that would still be true. The fact that it is usable for other purchases totally throws any possible grounds you could have

What exactly are you looking for here? Do you think you're legally entitled to a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

I don't really see the problem. Will not being able to use the voucher in the next six weeks cause you some kind of loss?

The restaurant is unavailable for about 11% (six weeks) of the year. A restaurant that is closed one day a week is unavailable 14% of the year.

Barring the voucher being purchased with a specific date in the next six weeks in mind (and the hotel being made aware of it at the time of purchase), I think you are being needlessly fussy.

Barring the voucher being purchased with a specific date in the next six weeks in mind (and the hotel being made aware of it at the time of purchase), I think you are being needlessly fussy.

They were made aware is was intended to be used after Christmas at the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They were made aware is was intended to be used after Christmas at the restaurant.
    May is 'after christmas'

May is 'after christmas'

Thank you for that, Parmenides.

But were they specific about it being for a date during those six weeks? After Christmas is very vague. The voucher is for a year, 46 other weeks during which the hotel will provide the service.

Why does it have to be during the six weeks its closed?

Bottom line, you're not entitled to anything, so unfortunately, it's time for you to move on and use the voucher once the restaurant reopens.

But were they specific about it being for a date during those six weeks? After Christmas is very vague. The voucher is for a year, 46 other weeks during which the hotel will provide the service.

Why does it have to be during the six weeks its closed?

That is when suits.
    Bottom line, you're not entitled to anything, so unfortunately, it's time for you to move on and use the voucher once the restaurant reopens.

Apparently in the end the hotel disagree as I have just spoken to the manager who has said he will issue a cash refund.

I'm glad they saw sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nice good will gesture, but not at all required. Don't see the issue at all. You'll probably go there in Feb or March anyway and spend the money there if it's a place you like.

Fair play to the manager, that's a decent gesture to make in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Are you going to tell the person who bought the voucher, who went to the trouble of asking discretely around your area before purchasing the voucher that you cashed it in?

The manager showed good will by cashing it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Boombastic wrote: »
    Are you going to tell the person who bought the voucher, who went to the trouble of asking discretely around your area before purchasing the voucher that you cashed it in?

The manager showed good will by cashing it for you

Em why would you, "Thanks for the gift voucher, I really enjoyed haggling with the hotel over a few days for a refund because they weren't open until February"

imitation wrote: »
    Em why would you, "Thanks for the gift voucher, I really enjoyed haggling with the hotel over a few days for a refund because they weren't open until February"

Well they went to the bother of finding out a good restaurant, they obviously wanted you to have a nice meal out.

Next time they meet

(A)'Well, how did the meal go, is the food as fantastic as everyone says it is'?

(B)'I don't know, I cashed in the voucher. I decided the 1st week in Jan that the only time throughout the year that would suit me was before mid-feb, unfortunately the restaurant was closed until then''

(A):confused:

I hope the seller gets a kick up the arse.

:confused: Why? They cashed it in for you?

It is the time that suits, we will not be around later in the year.

The person who gave us the voucher was angrier than we were.

I think it's only right the voucher was refunded since the voucher was sold by someone specifically aware it was intended for use in the restaurant shortly after Christmas.

(Had to delete this message and re-add it)

Boombastic wrote: »
    :confused: Why? They cashed it in for you?

The member of staff who sold the voucher did not cash it in, the manager did.

The member of staff who sold the voucher did not cash it in, the manager did.

They mightn't have had the authority.

Anyways, glad you got sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

(Had to delete this message and re-add it)

I read this OP and thought it was a wind up or someone trolling, I would never have thought someone could get so annoyed about this situation. Lots of Hotels and their restaurants close for January, it is the quietest time if the year following the busiest when staff have worked long hours with little leave. The voucher is for a year and you were not even the purchaser so had no rights whatsoever, kudos to the manager, nitemare customer.

davo10 wrote: »
    I read this OP and thought it was a wind up or someone trolling, I would never have thought someone could get so annoyed about this situation. Lots of Hotels and their restaurants close for January, it is the quietest time if the year following the busiest when staff have worked long hours with little leave. The voucher is for a year and you were not even the purchaser so had no rights whatsoever, kudos to the manager, nitemare customer.

Disagreeing with someone's point of view does not make them a troll. I was only annoyed as the hotel initially refused to listen to reason.

It was made quite clear the voucher was being purchased for use in the hotel just after Christmas, the member of staff who sold it knew this and still put the sale through - that is where the hotel were at fault, it is not overly complicated to understand.

Not the purchaser, so on top of all the trouble already caused you are suggesting we should have gotten the person who bought the voucher to handle this - that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

It was made quite clear the voucher was being purchased for use in the hotel just after Christmas, the member of staff who sold it knew this and still put the sale through - that is where the hotel were at fault, it is not overly complicated to understand.

Not the purchaser, so on top of all the trouble already caused you are suggesting we should have gotten the person who bought the voucher to handle this - that makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

Using the voucher for "just after Christmas" doesn't exactly mean that it couldn't be part used for something other than a meal. The hotel were not at fault at all, and have been very good to you, where you have no legal basis for your request for a refund.

As for the purchaser, the purchaser is the other party to the contract. The contract is between the hotel and the purchaser, not you. In fact, you have no rights at all in this issue.

So, you can climb off your horse, and just be very thankful that the hotel were so nice.

• Advertisement

Using the voucher for "just after Christmas" doesn't exactly mean that it couldn't be part used for something other than a meal.

Yes it does mean it couldn't be used in part for something else, considering it was specifically mentioned buy the purchaser at the time as sale what it was intended for, and what the restaurant like to charge. Please read the thread in its entirety and understand what has happened before subjecting me to your posts.
    The hotel were not at fault at all, and have been very good to you, where you have no legal basis for your request for a refund.

Incorrect, see my previous comment, maybe read it a few times.
    As for the purchaser, the purchaser is the other party to the contract. The contract is between the hotel and the purchaser, not you. In fact, you have no rights at all in this issue.

I have already addressed this in my previous post, but it does sound like you have not read much of this thread at all.
    So, you can climb off your horse, and just be very thankful that the hotel were so nice.

Hi ho silver, the hotel are lucky they don't also have to cover my costs at the small claims court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement