Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel refusing refund of voucher?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Paulw wrote: »
    But, while the voucher was bought for the restaurant, it can be used in any part of the hotel, including a hotel stay??

How was the hotel to know that it was bought only for the restaurant?

I can't see any grounds for a refund. Just wait until it's open again and then use it.
    dusf wrote: »
    They said the voucher could be used anywhere in the hotel including the restaurant without mentioning the restaurant was closed the next 6 weeks. Even if the restaurant was not mentioned by the member of staff, this place charges €150 per night stay the intent of the buyer would have been very obvious.

^ ^ This and This v v has me confused!!
    Yes it does mean it couldn't be used in part for something else, considering it was specifically mentioned buy the purchaser at the time as sale what it was intended for, and what the restaurant like to charge. Please read the thread in its entirety and understand what has happened before subjecting me to your posts.

He obviously has seeing as he has a reply on every page

Incorrect, see my previous comment, maybe read it a few times.

I have already addressed this in my previous post, but it does sound like you have not read much of this thread at all.

Incorrect, see my previous comment, maybe read it a few times.

Hi ho silver, the hotel are lucky they don't also have to cover my costs at the small claims court.

What an extremely condescending post.
    If you look back over your own thread you'll see that PaulW has answered a few times and has obviously read the thread.
    Not only that, but in my opinion he has been right each time.
    You have no basis in law for a refund, primarily because you didn't buy the voucher in the first place.
    If you did take it to court you'd be lucky that you didn't have to cover the Hotel costs. it's a case of "He says, She says" and IMO the Hotel are on a winner here.
    The Hotel did you a favour by refunding you, it doesn't necessarily follow that you were right in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

the hotel are lucky they don't also have to cover my costs at the small claims court.

You would not be able to take any case to the small claims court as you are not party to the transaction. The only parties to the transaction are the hotel and the purchaser. You are not party to the transaction at all.

Also, the small claims court does not award costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was given a voucher for a local restaurant at Christmas. I tried to make a booking for this weekend and was told they had very few bookings for January and decided to close for the months as it was unlikely that they would cover there costs.

I wouldn't have dreamed of asking for a refund or contacting the person who gave it to ask whether they were old that it was going to be closed for January.

Each to their own I guess. It was good of the Manager to refund you although he or she was probably afraid that if they didn't you would be bad mouthing them around the local area and things are hard enough for businesses these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I feel sorry for the hotel employees...

Thank god I don't work in the hospitality sector, they have a hard job...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - enough of the bickering

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The Hotel did you a favour by refunding you, it doesn't necessarily follow that you were right in the first place.

I would have to say the Hotel did themselves a favor. Imagine having to serve the OP dinner in February.

In saying that, the Hotel should have (although not required by law) mentioned that the restaurant would be closed for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

What an extremely condescending post.
    If you look back over your own thread you'll see that PaulW has answered a few times and has obviously read the thread.

I do not find my remarks anymore condescending that him telling me to move on, and come down off my high horse etc - there's no need to be snarky.

I am aware he has replied often to the thread, but his lack of understanding is what makes me believe he may not have read the thread.
    You have no basis in law for a refund, primarily because you didn't buy the voucher in the first place.
    Paulw wrote: »
    The only parties to the transaction are the hotel and the purchaser. You are not party to the transaction at all.

It is a moot point that someone else bought the voucher, you can take it as I speak just as much for the person who bought the voucher as myself.

The hotel did not do me a favour, they did what was right.

The core of the issue is that the hotel sold the voucher claiming it could be used in January at the restaurant when in fact the restaurant is closed. This is not overcomplicated. The sale was improper.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I was given a voucher for a local restaurant at Christmas. I tried to make a booking for this weekend and was told they had very few bookings for January and decided to close for the months as it was unlikely that they would cover there costs.

I wouldn't have dreamed of asking for a refund or contacting the person who gave it to ask whether they were old that it was going to be closed for January.

Each to their own I guess. It was good of the Manager to refund you although he or she was probably afraid that if they didn't you would be bad mouthing them around the local area and things are hard enough for businesses these days.

Your case is entirely different, unless of course whoever bought you the voucher was also told it could be used in the restaurant in January? This is the crux of it that some people seem to be missing.
    I feel sorry for the hotel employees...

Thank god I don't work in the hospitality sector, they have a hard job...

Again, why do you feel sorry for the employees? The employee who sold the voucher lied when selling it, either that or they were not informed the restaurant would be closed in January but either way the sale was improper.
    goz83 wrote: »
    I would have to say the Hotel did themselves a favor. Imagine having to serve the OP dinner in February.

Another needless snarky comment, especially stupid since you immediately follow it with:
    In saying that, the Hotel should have (although not required by law) mentioned that the restaurant would be closed for 6 weeks.

Not only should they have mentioned it, they said the voucher would be fine to use at the restaurant in January.

I hope whoever sold it if they need know the hotel was closed gets the sack, and if they did not know the hotel make their staff more aware of the goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Another needless snarky comment, especially stupid since you immediately follow it with:

Not only should they have mentioned it, they said the voucher would be fine to use at the restaurant in January.

I hope whoever sold it if they need know the hotel was closed gets the sack, and if they did not know the hotel make their staff more aware of the goings on.

My comment was not at all "snarky". It's valid. It's quite likely that had you been unable to get a refund that you might have caused the hotel staff/manager hassle when you arrived to use the voucher.

You also mentioned nothing about special January requests in your OP. This only developed as the thread developed. This is also third party info. You are claiming that the person who bought the voucher, specifically said that the voucher would be used in January, where in another post, you casually said "after Christmas".

Might you have ordered fish if you were able to use the voucher? I certainly smell some in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

My comment was not at all "snarky".

Yes, yes it is. Do you know me? Who are you to say it's likely I would cause the staff hassle when arriving to use the voucher? You do not know me. What kind of person would do such a thing.

Again, I find it very strange you would have made that comment in the first place only to immediately say afterwards the hotel should have said the restaurant was closed.
    You also mentioned nothing about special January requests in your OP. This only developed as the thread developed.

Yes, it developed as I spoke more with the purchaser and hotel.
    This is also third party info. You are claiming that the person who bought the voucher, specifically said that the voucher would be used in January, where in another post, you casually said "after Christmas".

January is after Christmas, it developed on further speaking with the purchaser they made it quite clear to the staff member the intention was for the voucher to be used at the restaurant in January - quite clear.
    Might you have ordered fish if you were able to use the voucher? I certainly smell some in this thread.

Another unnecessary snarky comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right - closing this thread, as you have failed to heed my warning.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement