Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some general pointers, 3570k temps

Options
  • 11-01-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am currently running an Asrock Pro3 Z77 with a 3570k (stock clock for now, just got it), with a Hyper 212 plus cooler.

The ambient temperature is pretty low right now, and I'm running a Prime95 CPU test (for the past 20 mins). Do these temps make sense?

Core 0 39
    Core 1 50
    Core 2 47
    Core 3 49

From the little I know, these seem fairly low. And what's with the disparity between 0 and the others? It's been hovering around 50 for a few mins. (the max temp, I mean). I have the HSF set at level 3 (maybe 2, can't recall) in the BIOS and the target temp to 50. I am assuming this keeps the fan at 3 and ramps it up accordingly as (if) the temps go above 50. Is this correct?

It's been at 50 for some time now (5 + mins) and the fan hasn't noticeably ramped up. I'm just looking for a general comment on what I've got going so far, especially in anticipation of a nice OC (4.4 if possible).

Here's a snapshot of HWMonitor as of now

And, as always, thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If this gives more information, my CPU is basically idling right now (just browsing online), my temps are: (not totally idle and still cooling from Prime I imagine):

0 13
    1 19
    2 23
    3 24

The difference is still here in Core 0. Broken sensor? Or just a lot of paste in the right place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Gumbi wrote: »
    If this gives more information, my CPU is basically idling right now (just browsing online), my temps are: (not totally idle and still cooling from Prime I imagine):

0 13
    1 19
    2 23
    3 24

The difference is still here in Core 0. Broken sensor? Or just a lot of paste in the right place?

On multicore CPU's, that sort of difference between the cores is nothing to worry about !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Deano12345 wrote: »
    On multicore CPU's, that sort of difference between the cores is nothing to worry about !

Cool! Do the temps look OK apart from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Gumbi wrote: »
    Cool! Do the temps look OK apart from that?

Yeah, they're fine, Ivy Bridge CPU's can go to about 85 degrees 24/7 and be fine !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks fine. You should be able to get to a minimum of 4ghz to 4.2ghz at stock voltage.

I'd start your overclock at 4ghz. Just change the multiplier.

It should do 4ghz fine at stock. You may get as high as 4.2ghz before you need to start increasing the voltage.

With your cooler 4.6ghz should be your minimum. Keep the voltage below 1.3 and the temp below 80-85 c and it's all good. You can go higher with both but I personally wouldn't.

Ivy's temps start flying up with voltage so use as little as possible.

I've overclocked several 3570k's now and I usually start at 4ghz stock voltage. All of them have done this. Then I go up in 200mhz increments, stress testing for 30 mins and raising the voltage by 0.05 every time it becomes unstable. You can move up in smaller increments if you like but I usually don't do that until I hit a wall which is around 4.8ghz normally.

I'd sooner run one at 4.6ghz with 1.15v and 70c max temps rather than 4.8ghz at 1.3v and 85c+ although this is still within safe limits the gains just aren't worth the extra power consumption, heat and potential throttling problems with higher ambient temps and dust build up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement