Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with teachers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cross_strike

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    Please read my edit
    I experienced teachers attempting to bully me and I give my advice in the edit.

I'll keep your advice in mind. I haven't as of yet made a big issue of the targeting, because I try to just ignore it. But if it gets worse I think I will have to do something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

spurious wrote: »
    Be very very careful about alleging bullying. This can easily turn into you being perceived as harassing the teacher and not allowing them teach the class. Health and safety at Work legislation covers it.

The VP is aware of the problem. It is their job to manage their staff, be it by offering retraining in classroom management to the teacher or rejigging the timetable or whatever. Leave them to do their job.

Yes I almost put for lack of a better word bullying in my post.

You wouldnt actually call them that you would simply not allow unacceptable behavior and if for example a teacher demanded you go to a corner you would refuse as it is a ridiculous demand and you could not be punished for refuseing by anyone reasonable who accepts logical debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yes I almost put for lack of a better word bullying in my post.

You wouldnt actually call them that you would simply not allow unacceptable behavior and if for example a teacher demanded you go to a corner you would refuse as it is a ridiculous demand and you could not be punished for refuseing by anyone reasonable who accepts logical debate

I would strongly advise against going down this road. You are going to end up in arguments with teachers and management that will go no where and do nothing but completely waste your time. You and your parents sign up to the school rules each year, part of that being following the instructions of staff etc. and no disrupting class. Arguing or "debating" in class over something like this will make you look like a trouble maker. The complete opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
    If you are able to say you have followed instructions, answered questions that were asked etc. then the teacher cannot claim anything against you. If you start "debating" you will look like the problem. I would indeed do the complete opposite of this advice. I would walk in each day and actually go to the back myself without being asked, this way you are not giving any ammunition. If they are ignoring you at the back they will ignore you at the front.
    Better chance of working if the parents apply pressure.
    She might do one class a week for free, I do for maths, especially if she's not a permanent teacher and is trying to push for hours. 2 or 3 classes a week wouldn't be fair to expect it free.

One thing u need to be aware of is there may be politics involved eg teachers can have relations or friends in management so please don't put pressure on your old teacher to take sides .

In a nutshell this is one for the parents.

There was a similar thread to this last year

This!!!

Aside from relations in management that is a presumption, you will put this teacher in an awful position. I would almost guarantee they will turn you down anyway as no teacher (especially within one subject) can be seen to g against another teacher whatever the circumstances. In private they might on the quiet agree with you and offer some help like the notes etc. but they cannot go and set up their own class in competition with this other teacher.
    Its like your mother saying one thing and your father going behind her back and doing the complete opposite it never ends well.
    It is an awful position to put anyone in in the first place by even asking as if you respect this teacher as much as you seem to do you will put them in a position where they will have to turn you down which will make them feel terrible or they go against the other teacher which will have huge impact on relations within the school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry OP, the professional trolls have arrived to try and mess up what was a good discussion.
    Jurg - two days a member and banned from three forums already.

OP - please let us know what happens at the PTM.

seavill wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against going down this road. You are going to end up in arguments with teachers and management that will go no where and do nothing but completely waste your time. You and your parents sign up to the school rules each year, part of that being following the instructions of staff etc. and no disrupting class. Arguing or "debating" in class over something like this will make you look like a trouble maker. The complete opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
    If you are able to say you have followed instructions, answered questions that were asked etc. then the teacher cannot claim anything against you. If you start "debating" you will look like the problem. I would indeed do the complete opposite of this advice. I would walk in each day and actually go to the back myself without being asked, this way you are not giving any ammunition. If they are ignoring you at the back they will ignore you at the front.

It's not small things I'm debating. An example of one of the mistakes is this;

The teacher told us that in An Triail, no one ever finds out that Padraig is the father of Maire's baby, not even in the court case.

I then asked about the fact that many statements are made by characters in the court case referring to the fact that Padraig is the father of Maire's baby.

The next day, the teacher came in, called me up in front of the class and told me that I was wrong and that she had a friend who did a thesis on An Triail who says no one ever finds out. If this was true, the whole way in which the play is constructed wouldn't make sense - how would people testify if they didn't know what happened?

Trust me, there are plenty of small mistakes I don't call the teacher out on!

EDIT;

Sorry, misread. I don't feel like I should have to accept being singled out and picked on. It's not right. As someone already said, it's a school, not a prison.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Sorry OP, the professional trolls have arrived to try and mess up what was a good discussion.
    Jurg - two days a member and banned from three forums already.

OP - please let us know what happens at the PTM.

I will! It's on Tuesday so I'll give you guys an update Tuesday evening :) Thanks for everyone's help so far! :)

It's not small things I'm debating. An example of one of the mistakes is this;

The teacher told us that in An Triail, no one ever finds out that Padraig is the father of Maire's baby, not even in the court case.

I then asked about the fact that many statements are made by characters in the court case referring to the fact that Padraig is the father of Maire's baby.

The next day, the teacher came in, called me up in front of the class and told me that I was wrong and that she had a friend who did a thesis on An Triail who says no one ever finds out. If this was true, the whole way in which the play is constructed wouldn't make sense - how would people testify if they didn't know what happened?

Trust me, there are plenty of small mistakes I don't call the teacher out on!

I was quoting rustedcore in relation to my point above I wasn't referring to anything you said I was saying the adivce given about arguing about being told to sit in the corner would lead to more problems

I was quoting rustedcore in relation to my point above I wasn't referring to anything you said I was saying the adivce given about arguing about being told to sit in the corner would lead to more problems

Yeah just realised that there! Posted an edit.

EDIT;

Sorry, misread. I don't feel like I should have to accept being singled out and picked on. It's not right. As someone already said, it's a school, not a prison.

I have no idea about the story you are on about as I don't teach Irish but you feel you are correct about the above example, maybe the teacher is telling the truth on this point about someone who did a thesis on it and this was their findings, maybe they are making it up, I;ve no idea.

I also never said you had to accept anything. I never said don't go to VP/P or bring parents in. I didn't refer to that at all as you and other posters had said you are already doing the correct thing here. This is process and procedure that goes with everything in life and like most things you have to follow procedure to get things done.

All I said was you do your part by not giving the teacher any ammunition. What difference does it make to you whether you sit down the back or not for a couple of weeks until things get sorted (unless there is a prob seeing the board or something like that). My advice was try not to get in any situation where you could get the blame like said before arguing over moving seat etc. If the teacher moves you every day anyway why give them the excuse, right or wrong they can go into the office and say every day for the past two weeks I have had to move her to the back due to being disrputive. You sit even near the back one row up out of your own decision and what reason could they have for moving you.

Parents are the only avenue at this stage for the class. It's much easier to say no to a student than a parent.

My advice was for the next few weeks
    - don't give the teacher any opportunity to move you
    - don't give them any ammunition
    - don't put the other teacher in a position where they have to choose betwen you and their colleague (they are already doing their best for you but there is only so much you can do)
    - you have followed procedure and spoken to guidance teacher, VP, Prinicpal now pass it over to your parents, leave it to them for a couple of weeks and stay out of it for now in terms of going back to VP yourself
    - presumably the other parents in the class are as worried, even one or two more of those supporting your parents will get something done
    - get your parents to plan out what they are going to ask at the PTM. Don't go in on the attack/calling names or blaming the teacher for X,Y,Z. Go in with prepared questions and level headed.

I also never said you had to accept anything. I never said don't go to VP/P or bring parents in. I didn't refer to that at all as you and other posters had said you are already doing the correct thing here. This is process and procedure that goes with everything in life and like most things you have to follow procedure to get things done.

All I said was you do your part by not giving the teacher any ammunition. What difference does it make to you whether you sit down the back or not for a couple of weeks until things get sorted (unless there is a prob seeing the board or something like that). My advice was try not to get in any situation where you could get the blame like said before arguing over moving seat etc. If the teacher moves you every day anyway why give them the excuse, right or wrong they can go into the office and say every day for the past two weeks I have had to move her to the back due to being disrputive. You sit even near the back one row up out of your own decision and what reason could they have for moving you.

Parents are the only avenue at this stage for the class. It's much easier to say no to a student than a parent.

My advice was for the next few weeks
    - don't give the teacher any opportunity to move you
    - don't give them any ammunition
    - don't put the other teacher in a position where they have to choose betwen you and their colleague (they are already doing their best for you but there is only so much you can do)
    - you have followed procedure and spoken to guidance teacher, VP, Prinicpal now pass it over to your parents, leave it to them for a couple of weeks and stay out of it for now in terms of going back to VP yourself
    - presumably the other parents in the class are as worried, even one or two more of those supporting your parents will get something done
    - get your parents to plan out what they are going to ask at the PTM. Don't go in on the attack/calling names or blaming the teacher for X,Y,Z. Go in with prepared questions and level headed.

According to my harp teacher who's studying Irish, you can't do a thesis on An Triail anyway!

I don't give my teacher any chance to put me in trouble, I sit in the seat in the corner in class, but I'm not just going to leave it to my parents. Of course my parents are going to support me and speak with the VP as well as the teacher, but this is a time when I feel that I have to stick up for myself in terms of reporting things to the appropiate authorities.

I think you're under the impression that I'm making a fuss in class about how I'm being treated, but trust me I'm not! The reason I'm bothered by my treatment is that, even though I'm not reacting and just doing what the teacher says, the treatment is just getting worse.

I don't feel that my classmates and I can afford to leave things for a few weeks anymore. That's what we did at the start of the year in the hopes of something being done in that time, but now we feel we need to increase the pressure.

The school administration isn't listening to any parents about the situation. Parents called from the teacher's original class last year and it was promised that something would change, but nothing did. Parents have called time and again this year and we are still being fobbed off with these lesson plans.

• Advertisement

According to my harp teacher who's studying Irish, you can't do a thesis on An Triail anyway!

I don't give my teacher any chance to put me in trouble, I sit in the seat in the corner in class, but I'm not just going to leave it to my parents. Of course my parents are going to support me and speak with the VP as well as the teacher, but this is a time when I feel that I have to stick up for myself in terms of reporting things to the appropiate authorities.

I think you're under the impression that I'm making a fuss in class about how I'm being treated, but trust me I'm not! The reason I'm bothered by my treatment is that, even though I'm not reacting and just doing what the teacher says, the treatment is just getting worse.

I don't feel that my classmates and I can afford to leave things for a few weeks anymore. That's what we did at the start of the year in the hopes of something being done in that time, but now we feel we need to increase the pressure.

The school administration isn't listening to any parents about the situation. Parents called from the teacher's original class last year and it was promised that something would change, but nothing did. Parents have called time and again this year and we are still being fobbed off with these lesson plans.

Look there is nothing more I can say. I have posted several times and each time you have read into it the wrong way and put words in my mouth I didnt say.
    I am a teacher I have seen these things happen a couple of times in the past and all i am doing is trying to give you the benefit of my experience, but you are too caught up in this to listen to anything that doesn't agree with your stance.

Like I said I havn't a clue about this Irish thing you are on about I was just offering an opinion on the situation so there is no point in me discussing it.

I never once said you do give the teacher any opportunity to give out to you I'm jsut saying don't give them one based as I said in my last post on the poor advice given by a previous poster.

In relation to parents, you have said you have spoken to your guidance teacher a couple of times VP a couple of times, old Irish teacher a few times, and the principal and you have achieved nothing. Whether you like it or not it is time for parents to take action not students. You may disagree if you like but you are incorrect on this point. As I said I have seen these situations happen in the past and this is the way forward.

Again please don't put words in my mouth, never did I say you were making a fuss of things, nor did I even imply it. I simply gave you advice on where to go from today forward. Stop reading things into posts that were not actually said

Again I didn't say leave things and do nothing for a few weeks, I said get your parents and the parents of every other student in the class onto it, meetings with the principal etc. That won't happen in one day which is why I siad give it a couple of weeks to play out let these actions take hold and see where they take you, substitute a couple of weeks with a week if you want but you get what I am trying to say

There is a HUGE difference between a few parents calling and several booking appointments to meet a principal in person, let them all come in and show the principal ye mean business.

All of the above is based on actual incidents and a teachers knowledge of how the system operates internally. Ignore if you choose but read posts with an unbias eye and don't read more into advice than is actually there due to feelings on the situation

Look there is nothing more I can say. I have posted several times and each time you have read into it the wrong way and put words in my mouth I didnt say.
    I am a teacher I have seen these things happen a couple of times in the past and all i am doing is trying to give you the benefit of my experience, but you are too caught up in this to listen to anything that doesn't agree with your stance.

Like I said I havn't a clue about this Irish thing you are on about I was just offering an opinion on the situation so there is no point in me discussing it.

I never once said you do give the teacher any opportunity to give out to you I'm jsut saying don't give them one based as I said in my last post on the poor advice given by a previous poster.

In relation to parents, you have said you have spoken to your guidance teacher a couple of times VP a couple of times, old Irish teacher a few times, and the principal and you have achieved nothing. Whether you like it or not it is time for parents to take action not students. You may disagree if you like but you are incorrect on this point. As I said I have seen these situations happen in the past and this is the way forward.

Again please don't put words in my mouth, never did I say you were making a fuss of things, nor did I even imply it. I simply gave you advice on where to go from today forward. Stop reading things into posts that were not actually said

Again I didn't say leave things and do nothing for a few weeks, I said get your parents and the parents of every other student in the class onto it, meetings with the principal etc. That won't happen in one day which is why I siad give it a couple of weeks to play out let these actions take hold and see where they take you, substitute a couple of weeks with a week if you want but you get what I am trying to say

There is a HUGE difference between a few parents calling and several booking appointments to meet a principal in person, let them all come in and show the principal ye mean business.

All of the above is based on actual incidents and a teachers knowledge of how the system operates internally. Ignore if you choose but read posts with an unbias eye and don't read more into advice than is actually there due to feelings on the situation

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. The tone of your post suggested to me that you were under the impression I was leaving my newly assigned seat in every class and debating whether or not I should be put there with the teacher. I never said you said this, I merely wanted to clarify to you that that was not the case in case that this was what you thought.

Getting parents involved etc is what we are doing now. Your post sounds to me as if you are suggesting that we students should take a back seat. I disagree. We are the ones who experience the class everyday. We are the ones who our VP calls up to the office to check how classes are going. My school is not like most other schools in terms of student-teacher relationships. Our teachers treat us (mostly) as equals and respect us. Representing ourselves is not a problem. Of course parental support is a great bonus, but I don't think that they should completely take over. After all, it is our education and our leaving cert results that are being affected. You may think I am incorrect, but you don't know my school.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. The tone of your post suggested to me that you were under the impression I was leaving my newly assigned seat in every class and debating whether or not I should be put there with the teacher. I never said you said this, I merely wanted to clarify to you that that was not the case in case that this was what you thought.

Again there was no tone only the one you read into, I was simply trying to help by giving advice based on my experience. I don't know you, the situation or the teacher so you will see in all my posts I never once judged you or the teacher or made any judgement on either.
    I simply offered advice
    I never mentioned anything about leaving a seat or you going against your teacher in any way. I simply suggested that you, as you walk into the room sit where you know you are going to be put if this is the case, or somewehre near it, to avoid giving them the opportunity to make you move.

Getting parents involved etc is what we are doing now. Your post sounds to me as if you are suggesting that we students should take a back seat. I disagree. We are the ones who experience the class everyday. We are the ones who our VP calls up to the office to check how classes are going. My school is not like most other schools in terms of student-teacher relationships. Our teachers treat us (mostly) as equals and respect us. Representing ourselves is not a problem. Of course parental support is a great bonus, but I don't think that they should completely take over. After all, it is our education and our leaving cert results that are being affected. You may think I am incorrect, but you don't know my school.

Again I never said you should do nothing ever again I said that you have complained etc. now let your parents take action and see what happens (phone calls do nothing) let that course of action take place and should that fail then consider your options. Taking two courses of action at the same time will possibly go against each other. More than your parents actually need to physically visit the principal.

"My school is not like most other schools in terms of student-teacher relationships. Our teachers treat us (mostly) as equals and respect us.......You may think I am incorrect, but you don't know my school."

You are correct I don't know your school as I said I never judged you, your school or your teacher. However your statement contradicts itself. How do you know other schools apart from anicdotal evidence you hear word of mouth. I have worked in probably 15 school during the course of my career and I can tell you in 90% of the cases this is true of 90% of the teachers. It is unfair of you to make a sweeping statement against the rest of us like that. However this is going off topic here.

Agreed that it is your education, and it is important you are proactive in getting the best results you can.
    You are being proactive and have been proactive. I was simply saying you have followed a course of action. See how the new course of action effects things then take it from there.

Again I never said you should do nothing ever again I said that you have complained etc. now let your parents take action and see what happens (phone calls do nothing) let that course of action take place and should that fail then consider your options. Taking two courses of action at the same time will possibly go against each other. More than your parents actually need to physically visit the principal.

"My school is not like most other schools in terms of student-teacher relationships. Our teachers treat us (mostly) as equals and respect us.......You may think I am incorrect, but you don't know my school."

You are correct I don't know your school as I said I never judged you, your school or your teacher. However your statement contradicts itself. How do you know other schools apart from anicdotal evidence you hear word of mouth. I have worked in probably 15 school during the course of my career and I can tell you in 90% of the cases this is true of 90% of the teachers. It is unfair of you to make a sweeping statement against the rest of us like that. However this is going off topic here.

Agreed that it is your education, and it is important you are proactive in getting the best results you can.
    You are being proactive and have been proactive. I was simply saying you have followed a course of action. See how the new course of action effects things then take it from there.

Again, I just don't agree with your opinion of our parents being our main representatives. I just don't think that this is something which will work in my school. My year's PTM is next Tuesday, as I have said, and all of the parents will be in complaining there, but they will not be our main representatives to the administration. We will represent ourselves.

I know my school is different from other schools because new students and new teachers are always amazed and a bit shocked when they join our school community about the relationship between students and teachers.

Yes, I read in to a tone. That's kind of what I said. I wasn't saying that that's what you believed, I was just clarifying, in case that's what you believed, that that's not what the situation is.

Again, I just don't agree with your opinion of our parents being our main representatives. I just don't think that this is something which will work in my school. My year's PTM is next Tuesday, as I have said, and all of the parents will be in complaining there, but they will not be our main representatives to the administration. We will represent ourselves.

I know my school is different from other schools because new students and new teachers are always amazed and a bit shocked when they join our school community about the relationship between students and teachers.

Yes, I read in to a tone. That's kind of what I said. I wasn't saying that that's what you believed, I was just clarifying, in case that's what you believed, that that's not what the situation is.

Forget it. Good luck

Forget it. Good luck

If you took any offence from our exchange, I apologise, none was meant. Thanks for your well wishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I've read through most of the thread, and just one thing, I'm pretty sure your teacher is right about An Triail...I knew it in pretty good detail for last year, and upon thinking about it, no one ever finds out. I'm almost sure I wrote that in my answer too. That's the whole point; she's loyal to the death and won't give him away, but he's the opposite. While I doubt you can do a thesis on it, I think you should double check these things.
    (Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure I'm not :P)

Regarding essays, we rarely did any. My teacher was excellent, and while it did worry me a bit that we did so few, it wasn't a problem. There's absolutely no need to do essays every week if you sit down and, instead, learn grammar. None of my essays came up this year, so I just wrote a 5 page letter on why young people aren't lazy. I wouldn't have been able for that if I'd had anything learned off though, so if you do have a passion for Irish as you say, it's probably the best bet. Learn all the tenses again, learn the 5 cases (they're easy enough, it'll explain why those h's appear everywhere :D) and learn off fancy phrases - it's all you need. You do need to know cases in some detail anyway for the comprehensions actually.

Regarding poems/stories and even An Triail, all you need to do is tell the story and then point out relevant points. I asked my teacher about minor characters in AT because we hadn't done anything but read it and analyse main characters and the two main themes, and I was worried but she told me that. I took her advice and got 40/40, it's so much easier than people think! I don't mean tell the WHOLE thing as in "first we see a flashback", but give background, it's what they want and takes up space.

I know this isn't really the type of advice you were looking for, but you really can't do anything about a bad teacher in my experience so I thought I'd try offer you some alternatives. Good luck with fixing it all up! :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I've read through most of the thread, and just one thing, I'm pretty sure your teacher is right about An Triail...I knew it in pretty good detail for last year, and upon thinking about it, no one ever finds out. I'm almost sure I wrote that in my answer too. That's the whole point; she's loyal to the death and won't give him away, but he's the opposite. While I doubt you can do a thesis on it, I think you should double check these things.
    (Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure I'm not :P)

Regarding essays, we rarely did any. My teacher was excellent, and while it did worry me a bit that we did so few, it wasn't a problem. There's absolutely no need to do essays every week if you sit down and, instead, learn grammar. None of my essays came up this year, so I just wrote a 5 page letter on why young people aren't lazy. I wouldn't have been able for that if I'd had anything learned off though, so if you do have a passion for Irish as you say, it's probably the best bet. Learn all the tenses again, learn the 5 cases (they're easy enough, it'll explain why those h's appear everywhere :D) and learn off fancy phrases - it's all you need. You do need to know cases in some detail anyway for the comprehensions actually.

Regarding poems/stories and even An Triail, all you need to do is tell the story and then point out relevant points. I asked my teacher about minor characters in AT because we hadn't done anything but read it and analyse main characters and the two main themes, and I was worried but she told me that. I took her advice and got 40/40, it's so much easier than people think! I don't mean tell the WHOLE thing as in "first we see a flashback", but give background, it's what they want and takes up space.

I know this isn't really the type of advice you were looking for, but you really can't do anything about a bad teacher in my experience so I thought I'd try offer you some alternatives. Good luck with fixing it all up! :)

Yes they don't know in the flashbacks, but throughout the trial, they make references to it. Eg;

Scene 5 Act 2

Colm; Don't put the blame on me. I didn't do anything but introduce them on the night of the dance.

(translated of course :P)

This bit is what we argued about! We knew Maire didn't tell anyone, but from the way the characters speak in the trial, they somehow found out after her death.

Thanks for your advice! If nothing works out, that's certainly the plan I'll follow! Workload will be horrible though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hmm, that's actually a good point... :pac: I doubt there'd be plotholes in such a good play though! It could be that he's assuming and she never told him, therefore both ideas are true, but I actually don't know now. :o

I've heard Gramadach Gan Stró is a great grammar book, and when you cover things like the conditional you realize they're really MUCH easier than you thought (I dunno why I ever thought it was hard, I find it harder to spell than form :P). I found a website the other night when I got curious about what the hell the 5th case was in Irish, and found this. It's pretty daunting (especially if you have no German :P) but gives a nice overview. I'm sure there are much more user-friendly ways to find it though if you're interested - and maybe you're not, but I just thought I'd tell you because I know some people like to have the building blocks and bare bones of a language to learn it, and others like to accept some things as they are. So hopefully that'll be some help, and either way you should be fine because it sounds like your class are pretty set on fixing it! :)

I take it from how you talk that you are a teacher and what I said offended you.Well you are entitled to your opinion but I personally think a teacher telling student to go to a corner is as reasonable as punching a student in the face.I dont want to take his thread of course but you seem to be trying very hard to point out im wrong when what I say is irrefutable.

It is high time that all teachers treated students on leaving cert syllabus with respect.They are not children, if another teacher told you you are wrong would you demand they go to the corner of the staff room.

It is nothing more than a Im the alpha obey me authoritarian waste of time.Yes you need someone level of control but you cannot and will not demean someone for disagreeing.

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Hmm, that's actually a good point... :pac: I doubt there'd be plotholes in such a good play though! It could be that he's assuming and she never told him, therefore both ideas are true, but I actually don't know now. :o

I've heard Gramadach Gan Stró is a great grammar book, and when you cover things like the conditional you realize they're really MUCH easier than you thought (I dunno why I ever thought it was hard, I find it harder to spell than form :P). I found a website the other night when I got curious about what the hell the 5th case was in Irish, and found this. It's pretty daunting (especially if you have no German :P) but gives a nice overview. I'm sure there are much more user-friendly ways to find it though if you're interested - and maybe you're not, but I just thought I'd tell you because I know some people like to have the building blocks and bare bones of a language to learn it, and others like to accept some things as they are. So hopefully that'll be some help, and either way you should be fine because it sounds like your class are pretty set on fixing it! :)

I have Graimear an Draoi, which is my bible right now :P That does look quite daunting, but I'll try my best at getting through it :)

He/she wasn't arguing that Maire never told anyone cos we all accepted that! He/she was genuinely just insisting that Padraigin's (name's a bit of a giveaway :P maybe that's how they found out?) father remained a mystery for everyone during the whole trial!

I take it from how you talk that you are a teacher and what I said offended you.Well you are entitled to your opinion but I personally think a teacher telling student to go to a corner is as reasonable as punching a student in the face.I dont want to take his thread of course but you seem to be trying very hard to point out im wrong when what I say is irrefutable.

It is high time that all teachers treated students on leaving cert syllabus with respect.They are not children, if another teacher told you you are wrong would you demand they go to the corner of the staff room.

It is nothing more than a Im the alpha obey me authoritarian waste of time.Yes you need someone level of control but you cannot and will not demean someone for disagreeing.

I already said in my second post I belive that I was a teacher and mentioned it in several other posts. I made no secret of it.

No I was not offended for one second it takes a lot more than that to offend me.

Nowhere did I say the teacher was right in what they were doing

I was pointing out that arguing in class will give the teacher ammunition to go to the principal and be able to say that look she caused a disruption again its all her fault and make the OP out to look like the trouble maker for arguing during class. I am almost backing the student here in what I say not the teacher.

BTW a little suggestion

Why not have a thread where you leaving cert students can speak to each other in irish just about your day etc or share poetry and each correct each others grammar etc...you would lern alot im sure or at least find things to look up.

BTW a little suggestion

Why not have a thread where you leaving cert students can speak to each other in irish just about your day etc or share poetry and each correct each others grammar etc...you would lern alot im sure or at least find things to look up.

That's actually a brilliant idea! When you get comfortable talking in a language it's so much easier. We do something similar in school were we get a kettle and loads of biscuits and a free room and just sit and talk in Irish at lunch. I shall start one up tomorrow :) Time to catch up on sleep now!

Thanks again everyone :)

I already said in my second post I belive that I was a teacher and mentioned it in several other posts. I made no secret of it.

No I was not offended for one second it takes a lot more than that to offend me.

Nowhere did I say the teacher was right in what they were doing

I was pointing out that arguing in class will give the teacher ammunition to go to the principal and be able to say that look she caused a disruption again its all her fault and make the OP out to look like the trouble maker for arguing during class. I am almost backing the student here in what I say not the teacher.

Ah, I see

But the op cannot give in to these ludicrous demands during class and if it was me I would simple say Mr/MRS teacher you are behaving ridiculously and I am going to the principals office to report this behavior. I would then go wait patiently for the principal to be available and then inform him that I was forced to leave class due to the teachers behavior and I want to know what He/She {the principal} will do to remedy the situation.

Ah, I see

But the op cannot give in to these ludicrous demands during class and if it was me I would simple say Mr/MRS teacher you are behaving ridiculously and I am going to the principals office to report this behavior. I would then go wait patiently for the principal to be available and then inform him that I was forced to leave class due to the teachers behavior and I want to know what He/She {the principal} will do to remedy the situation.

I have bowed out once I will do it again following this

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

chain of complaint is teacher, year head, deputy principal, principal, board of management, dept of education. The threat of a Dept of Ed subject inspection might improve things a little

namoosh wrote: »
    chain of complaint is teacher, year head, deputy principal, principal, board of management, dept of education. The threat of a Dept of Ed subject inspection might improve things a little

Yeah I was wondering if there was some way I could make a complaint to them. Because it's not just about my year, if the teacher doesn't improve their methods, it'll affect many more pupils. I suppose if nothing happens the next step is BOM then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As seavill said though (and I'm not quite sure why it all kicked off a bit) you need to let one strategy play out before introducing another. It's been brought to the VP's attention, depending on what happens at the PTM it might go further. I wouldn't muddy the waters by bringing in other prongs of 'attack' until the current ones have played out.

Whatever you do, do nothing that could be perceived as you causing a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

What happened at the PTM?

Advertisement