Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 magnum suppressor

Options
  • 11-01-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all i have a savage .22 magnum and would like to no if you can suppress this gun,i use a silencer from an ordinary .22 it does quitin it down a bit but not what id like,the silencer cost €50,the gun dealer says there's one for the magnum and cost €250 and it suppresses the sound down to a whisper,has anyone used one of these and are they worth €250 ?????:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

There will still be a crack from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

This has been discussed on here a number of times before and the verdict on silencing a .22 magnum is that its not worth it, something to do with a .22 magnum being twice the size of a .22LR, more propelant, more speed, bigger bang and basically it doesn't make a difference.

There was a guy on here before posting videos of shooting a .22mag with a silencer. I think he had a T8 or something it was enormous, looked like a beer barrel on the end of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

paddybongo wrote: »
    Hi all i have a savage .22 magnum and would like to no if you can suppress this gun,i use a silencer from an ordinary .22 it does quitin it down a bit but not what id like,the silencer cost €50,the gun dealer says there's one for the magnum and cost €250 and it suppresses the sound down to a whisper,has anyone used one of these and are they worth €250 ?????:rolleyes:

He is talking crap because there is still going to be the crack of it breaking the sound barrier.

The reason the mod doesn't seem like its doing a good job is because the wmr is quiet enough already compared to the likes of a hmr or a centre fire.
    Dont waste your money on that mod he's on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Keep your money in your pocket, waste of time.
    Noise for a gunshot comes from 2 sources, the bang of the explosion when the round is fired and the crack when the round goes supersonic.
    A mod will reduce the bang by dissipating the gases but only using subsonic rounds ( which travel at less than the speed of sound) will reduce the crack.
    If you want quiet get a .22LR with a mod using subsonic rounds (you cannot get these for a .22WMR.
    NO WAY can any mod reduce a .22 Magnum down to a whisper!!!!!:D

its amazing the ****e some gun dealers come out with :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Thanks lads i wont waist the money on the suppressor i might think of down grading from the magnum,is there much of a difference in the .22lr compered to the mag?????

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Thanks lads i wont waist the money on the suppressor i might think of down grading from the magnum,is there much of a difference in the .22lr compered to the mag?????

Depends what you're shooting
    I wouldn't be shooting foxes beyond 50 yards with a .22 Lr , and then with good shot placement, plenty good for bunnies. about 6-7 euro per 50 ,22LR as against 13-15 euro magnum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

And with a .22lr, subs and a mod you will be james bond quiet:D

Advertisement