Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do I stand on this - bodyshop/mechanic quote issue....

Options
  • 11-01-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Ok,

I took my car to a bodyshop to get some rust cut out/patching in new metal/re-painting. I was verbally quoted 500-600 euros. Not thrilled with that, but I agreed and told him to go ahead with the work. I was informed that I will have my car back in a week's time.

I sent a text today with the colour code for the paint, and received a reply as follows :

"we have started the work, but it's much more than we thought - it will therefore cost you €850".

...?! Where do I stand here? I agreed to a verbal quote of 500/600 euros.
    I can't afford €850, and didn't agree to €850.
    Am I just screwed...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

a quote, or an estimate :)?

its unfortunate enough but tbh i'd say you're somewhat stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did he start the work before he told you how much it would cost? Tell him to put it back to its original state, that you didnt agree to spend so much. Its his problem if he cannot do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Verbal quote is not worth the paper it's written on...
    I guess they found some more rot than they originally thought was there and therefore the hours increased.
    You could argue that the shop didn't inform you of the extra cost and maybe that way get a bit off, and as always, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar!;)

djimi wrote: »
    Did he start the work before he told you how much it would cost? Tell him to put it back to its original state, that you didnt agree to spend so much. Its his problem if he cannot do this.

i think that that is a flawed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 reverbfuzz

a quote, or an estimate :)?

its unfortunate enough but tbh i'd say you're somewhat stuck.

At no point did I agree to 850...????

• Advertisement

i think that that is a flawed opinion.

Why? If Im given a quote for a job I dont expect to get a phone call half way through saying that its going to cost 50% more. I hate this bull**** when guys try it on.

I guess they found some more rot than they originally thought was there and therefore the hours increased.
    You could argue that the shop didn't inform you of the extra cost and maybe that way get a bit off, and as always, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar!;)

They had the whole front end stripped at the start of this week, when I agreed for them to complete the job. I don't know where the 250/350 increase suddenly appeared.

Why? If Im given a quote for a job I dont expect to get a phone call half way through saying that its going to cost 50% more. I hate this bull**** when guys try it on.

Have I any legal leg to stand on here?

in the real world, it's actually the OP's problem. i mean the panel beater wont be without a car, its the OP who will be off the road if he cant afford to pay.

and the panel beater can-not, bar divine intervention, put the car back into its original form if he's cutting out rot etc.

lets be sensible here. if he received an "estimate" it was exactly that, an estimation of cost that could change, pending several factors.

if it was a quote, then that's what i'd expect to pay and the panel beater to stick to. before a quote is made, a car should be properly inspected so as there is no hidden surprises.

I'm to pay for his mistake? He had the whole front end of the car stripped down before we went ahead with this. There were no surprises to be had.

He has said in his text today "we are starting on 3rd of day of welding here, this job is much more difficult than I thought, it's going to cost 850 euro"

Should I not be informed of a 40% price hike BEFORE we agree to charge me this?!

• Advertisement

in the real world, it's actually the OP's problem. i mean the panel beater wont be without a car, its the OP who will be off the road if he cant afford to pay.

and the panel beater can-not, bar divine intervention, put the car back into its original form if he's cutting out rot etc.

lets be sensible here. if he received an "estimate" it was exactly that, an estimation of cost that could change, pending several factors.

if it was a quote, then that's what i'd expect to pay and the panel beater to stick to. before a quote is made, a car should be properly inspected so as there is no hidden surprises.

So you're effectively saying he could tell me on Monday it's actually come to €1500 - more work than he originally thought, and I'd have to pay that?

reverbfuzz wrote: »
    So you're effectively saying he could tell me on Monday it's actually come to €1500 - more work than he originally thought, and I'd have to pay that?

im not telling you that.

obviously if the mans quotes were out by 250% on a regular basis he wont be in business very long. but yours was out by what €200? i think your choices are to either
    suck it up, pay and chalk it up...
    or discuss it with the panel beater and try reach a compromise price, or installments etc.

im not telling you that.

obviously if the mans quotes were out by 250% on a regular basis he wont be in business very long. but yours was out by what €200? i think your choices are to either
    suck it up, pay and chalk it up...
    or discuss it with the panel beater and try reach a compromise price, or installments etc.

It's not out by 200 euros, it's out by 250-350.
    What I think has happened here is he took a job that he's regretting, so is now making me pay the difference.

I did not authorize him to do this job if it costs 850 euros.

It's not out by 200 euros, it's out by 250-350.
    What I think has happened here is he took a job that he's regretting, so is now making me pay the difference.

I did not authorize him to do this job if it costs 850 euros.

i doubt he'd regretting it. its the sort of thing that happens in his trade. repairing damaged cars can often mean more work is uncovered after work has begun.

if you don't authorize work to continue at that price, ring him and stop him, get your bumper back on and take the car back. just pay for the job to that point.

There is a huge difference between 500 estimate/quote and trying to charge 850 for the final job. Most people would simply not have the budget for that kind of increase, and it should have been brought to the OPs attention prior to the work commencing. I can appreciate that unforeseen things can happen, but in this case I would expect a proper inspection to throw up any potential problems before the work starts.

There is a huge difference between 500 estimate/quote and trying to charge 850 for the final job. Most people would simply not have the budget for that kind of increase, and it should have been brought to the OPs attention prior to the work commencing. I can appreciate that unforeseen things can happen, but in this case I would expect a proper inspection to throw up any potential problems before the work starts.

i agree 100% an inspection should have told us what we need to know.

but for whatever reason it didn't happen and now we're in too deep. car is in pieces on the panel beaters floor, OP doesn't have the price difference (which i can understand)

what do we do?

we have to now make a compromise with the panel beater. (imo of course)

Thank you. 500-600 was a stretch. 350 euros is, what, a 70% hike? Was he going to surprise me with this figure when I went to collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I could see where garage was coming from if they based quote on car without stripdown. Even in that case, it should have been made clear that the price could change once they go into it as rust can obviously be much worse than it appears on the surface.
    In this case, if they quoted you after partial stripdown once they were happy that all the work was clearly visible, I would tell them take a hike.

what car is it and what work? might help us get an idea of if he is way off the mark or not.

mickdw wrote: »
    I could see where garage was coming from if they based quote on car without stripdown. Even in that case, it should have been made clear that the price could change once they go into it as rust can obviously be much worse than it appears on the surface.
    In this case, if they quoted you after partial stripdown once they were happy that all the work was clearly visible, I would tell them take a hike.

The car was stripped down, bumper off, holes poked through the rust. I was then told 500-600 euros.

I then went back 3 weeks later (Tuesday afternoon) and they hadn't started the work. He then informed me that they could have it done in a week.

Texted him the paint code today. He texts me back with his 40-70% price raise. Wtf?

I could tell him to take a hike, but ... he still has my car?!

• Advertisement

Oh, and he's actually fitting a fibreglass replacement front valance panel for the most part. (It's an old Vauxhall Viva)

The car was stripped down, bumper off, holes poked through the rust. I was then told 500-600 euros.

I then went back 3 weeks later (Tuesday afternoon) and they hadn't started the work. He then informed me that they could have it done in a week.

Texted him the paint code today. He texts me back with his 40-70% price raise. Wtf?

I could tell him to take a hike, but ... he still has my car?!

ah in that case, i'd go get the car back. he stripped it down and examined it and then quoted you. wouldn't expect the price vo vary so substantially from an inspection based quote.

and what panel beater worth his salt can't source a paint code?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

do what my brother done when mechanic asked for double the price agreed.
    paid him the original price and told him to get lost for the rest.
    yeah,and why did you have to text him paint code?
    codes are printed several places on cars.

blade1 wrote: »
    do what my brother done when mechanic asked for double the price agreed.
    paid him the original price and told him to get lost for the rest.

Do I physically grab the keys from him and drive off...? How does that even work?

its your car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would tell him to stop all work immediately. Get down there and suss him out. If he hasnt found something very unexpected, he doesnt have a leg to stand on. If the work needed is still in line with what you expected, tell him you are only paying the quoted amount. See what he says and go from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would not have agreed on this originally, but after the OP stated that they had already stripped the car and should have had a better idea, this seems sensible.
    The OP's first post was misleading, it gave the impression that some mechanic mentioned in passing that the job would cost 500ish and once they got started, they discovered a lot more rot.

But the problem in this country is the complete lack of protection for the consumer in these cases. In civilised countries, the guy you hire has to give you an estimate and stick by it unless there's a dammn good reason and the customer has to be informed of all changes.
    In this country I once brought a car to the garage and sked for an estimate. The answer I got was "Ah surre now, we wouldn't be knowing what dat'll cosht till we're finished the job, could be rrealy dearr". Any proper country that kind of malarkey just wouldn't stand. Most workmen here will flat out refuse to give any kind of quote.

blade1 wrote: »
    its your car

right, but he's hardly going to hand over the keys to me if he wants 850?

I would not have agreed on this originally, but after the OP stated that they had already stripped the car and should have had a better idea, this seems sensible.
    The OP's first post was misleading, it gave the impression that some mechanic mentioned in passing that the job would cost 500ish and once they got started, they discovered a lot more rot.

What can I do? Is Citizens Advice worth bothering with?
    It just isn't fair... I'd have gone elsewhere if 850 had been mentioned.

• Advertisement

also,3 weeks is unacceptable.
    he doesn't sound too professional to me.

Advertisement