Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Anyone have any information on whether most apartment/town house/house rentals are dog friendly? None of the available for let apartment listings seem to say whether dogs are allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

cbd18 wrote: »
    Anyone have any information on whether most apartment/town house/house rentals are dog friendly? None of the available for let apartment listings seem to say whether dogs are allowed.

Are you looking at short term/ holiday rentals or are you looking for someplace to live ?

Pets are normally not allowed in apartment blocks but if you rent a house (with a garden), then you will have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh a lot of landlords will say no because dogs cause extra wear (depending on size, energy, etc, blah)
    I have had some difficulties with just a cat so assume dogs will be harder to find a place for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

I'm moving there for at least a year and have a medium sized dog... My boyfriend lives in an apartment but I've never seen dogs so assume they aren't allowed. Trying to figure out what the options will be, from what you have said it doesn't sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring and ask, some landlords may be more lenient if they like you.
    At the end of the day, it's their house and they are probably just careful.

Perhaps offering a 200 euro "dog deposit" can help your cause.

Yah, that's good advice. I'm moving there from America, where I've always been a renter as well - perhaps some landlord references and offer of an extra deposit. In America, there's always an extra security deposit for pets. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

well, on dafts advance search option you can tick the pets allowed option for your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

a lot of places in Galway won't accept pets. if you are bringing the dog from America you should look up the price of transporting the dog and if quarantine will be necessary. it can get quite costly to bring a pet and if you are only staying a year twice transport could be a huge bill

Luckily a dog coming into Ireland from the U.S. with the right paper work and documentation is not required to be quarantined other than for an hour or two to be checked over. You are right tho, it's very pricy. The price we pay for our four-legged family members :) Not sure how long it will be, year minimum. Thanks everyone, glad it's not hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Friends have done it, and while it's not super easy it is doable.
    Apartments are unlikely, but a small house in the suburbs is a good option. Even look into sharing. Probably your best bet, if you have a car, is to look for somewhere a couple of miles outside town. Ask the dog shelters etc in advance too, if they have advice. Someone may be a landlord. Offer a pet wear and tear deposit definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

It's difficult enough to get rental accomodation that will accept dogs.

We were looking intensively for at least a month before we could get anywhere in the city that would accept our dog. Rentals were being snapped up at the time. We were absolutely lucky that the right place came up at the right time. I kept looking at the rental ads for a number of months after that, and nowhere else suitable came up within the city.

You might well have to pay a considerably bigger rent per month to get somewhere within the city.

If something suitable does come up, my advice to you would be to snap it up immediately, on the basis that beggars can't be choosers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP

Re your dog : make sure to look up the rules regarding bringing an American dog back into the US too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wouldn't be put off by the standard "no pets" comments. Once you travel a couple of miles outside the city then landlords are desperate to find tenants.
    I am renting with three dogs & I know that I could easily find somewhere else.

I have just spent an hour playing with my three on a deserted beach - it's a great place to have dogs.

I would avoid agencies & reply to private ads. I wouldn't mention the dog until you are about to conclude a deal.

A dog isn't going to cause more wear & tear than kids would but you don't see them being banned.

By the way a lot of the apartment bans are imposed by the management companies not necessarily by the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

what model dog is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah as others have said it varies from place to place and you're better off to ask. Apartments are unlikely, not very fair on the dog anyway even if it was allowed. The last two houses we have rented had no problem at all with our dog, and he's an indoor dog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Many apartment leases ban pets

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I used to live in an area of Galway called Bayview Rise in Ballybane. While I cannot recommend living there overall we had cats there and many other people did too. And at least three adresses had dogs as well.

I live in an apartment now and we still have one cat so that at least was not a problem.

Advertisement