Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to study in college?

• 11-01-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

I honestly have no idea about what I should put down on the CAO .. My favourite subject would definitely be biology as I love studying it so does anyone know what I should study in college that has to do with biology and where.. Btw I don't do chemistry which was probably my biggest mistake!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should at a minimum get either an online or an actual career aptitude test to see what you are interested in. Biology could cover anything from training as a paramedic to tramping round a jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

I honestly have no idea about what I should put down on the CAO .. My favourite subject would definitely be biology as I love studying it so does anyone know what I should study in college that has to do with biology and where.. Btw I don't do chemistry which was probably my biggest mistake!

Is it the cell and scientific side of Biology or moreso the applied Human Body side of it you're interested in OP?

If you're more interested in cellular and biological processes, then maybe biochemistry or microbiology. Or it could be animals of all types which would suggest zoology or if it's people then it could be Biomedical Science!

General Science, going on to specialize in Biology later in your degree is an option too.

Check out qualifax.ie for a comprehensive list of courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Why not take a year out and do work experience/voluntary work/travel and get a better sense of what you'd be interested in.

Although I get it is not for most people, sometimes I think maybe a year out to find out what you'd really like to do would be better than spending 3-4 years in a course that you know deep down you don't enjoy and don't want to be stuck with for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Do what you love, what you enjoy, I cant stress this any more! Its so important imo. Doing something you have vague interest or "think" you might like will result in you wasting your money, not enjoying college, or dropping out, and you will be back to square one.

So many students end up like this every year.

Advertisement