Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence application question

Options
  • 11-01-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, lookin for a bit of advice,
    I handed in a licence application for a rifle ( not my first ) in early December , from what I can remember ,any time I did this before I received a letter 2-3 weeks later to say my application would be processed over the next 3 months.
    Didn't get one this time, Is this common or should I contact the station to make sure the application is not "lost" in the system? I should add that the firearms officer that I used to deal with has retired
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have only gotten that letter once before receiving the grant letter so it is quite common. I would ring and make sure as you don't want your licence to run out and for you to be in possession of an unlicenced firearm because of someones incompetence/laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

juice1304 wrote: »
    I have only gotten that letter once before receiving the grant letter so it is quite common. I would ring and make sure as you don't want your licence to run out and for you to be in possession of an unlicenced firearm because of someones incompetence/laziness.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

As above, I've only gotten that once or twice. I have also gotten my grant letter before that letter and gotten that letter on the same day as my grant letter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just Wait.

It's only been a few weeks, they have up to 3 months, and they are currently dealing with renewals. Add all this to the amount of FO's retiring and things are naturally slower.

As for the letter. I get a notice letter every time, as you should. Granted they are usually just before the grant letter, but i get them non the less.

About the unlicensed firearm bit. You say you handed in an application, and not a renewal so the gun is still in the dealers. So that is a non issue. However if you meant to say renewal then it should be in 3 months before the expiry of your current license.

Wait a bit longer, then ring your FO to ask about the progress. There is a fine line between being annoying, and not following up at all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Ring them, i applied for a licence on the 17th Dec at my local station. i rang the main station kilkenny on tuesday 8th Jan and i was told they had no details regarding me or the gun i was applying for. they told me to ring the local station which i did and the FO was on his rest days until saturday so the sergant said she would check it out, low and behold theres noting in there for me. Now id love to know how they cant find my application. they are so imcompitent its unbeliveable. dealing with renewals and FO retiring is not my problem. ive a busy job and people were let go and i still have to do my job 100% or id be shown the door fairly quick. a simple thing to do, do a background check on me (i already have 2 guns) sign forms and post to main station 20miles away, cant even do that. no phone call to let me know where i stand. its crazy, keep the pressure on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 charlie haughey

handed a rifle application in on 28 nov.got the application recieved letter 3 dec nothing since.rfd was tellin me that a lot of errors were made with printing renewals wrong dates and cal etc is holding them up

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pnudj

Maybe I'll just wait so, it is a new application and its for gun no.6 , so I'm kinda expecting hassle especially with the change in FO. That letter used to come quickly in the past with every application /substitution etc. but that may have been down to the man that retired, who was a shooting man himself.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

pnudj wrote: »
    ................ it is a new application and its for gun no.6 , ...........
    Just give it some time. I have a new FO that was slow to start, but is now on the ball.

As a side note gun no. 6 puts you into a new category of home security, so be aware that if you have not complied with level 4 security measures that it may be requested.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pnudj

Had a phone call from FO an hour ago ( he must be on boards too ) with a few polite questions about my application, so it's underway
    Thanks to all who replied
    Pnudj

Advertisement