Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers & accessories for iPhone 4 vs 5 vs 6

• 11-01-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

I'm currently looking into getting my first iPhone and (among many other questions) one thing I'm wary of is the new connector for the iPhone 5. From what I gather it's been met with a fairly muted response. As I don't have any accessories for older versions I'd have no "adapting" expenses if I get a 5 - but at the same time, I'm a bit wary of something similar happening in future, with iPhone 6, for example.

If they're going to change the connections for devices every few years it'll add significant extra costs and hassle, so I'd like the opinion of some of you who are more experienced with Apple than I am - would it be easier to stick with a 4/4S and their associated products for now, since they seem to be more widely available and less pricey? Is there any chance they'd revert to the older connection in a future version - or another new one entirely - or is the lightning connection here to stay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Focalbhach wrote: »
    If they're going to change the connections for devices every few years it'll add significant extra costs and hassle, so I'd like the opinion of some of you who are more experienced with Apple than I am
    Well I really don't know what you're talking about 'every few years'. Firstly Tech is changing every few months ! and if you want to use the latest tech then you need to cop on to the fact that stuff changes and you can't demand that everything else stays the same. Secondly I have been using the same connectors with my iPhones and iPods since my first ones in 2007/8 ... that's hardly the basis for your claims.
    I now have a new iPhone 5 and love the new connector. It's small and thin and allows the 5 to be the beautifully thin. You say you are not upgrading so where exactly is the hassle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Sure u can buy the adapters on eBay for less the €10 now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Focalbhach wrote: »
    If they're going to change the connections for devices every few years it'll add significant extra costs and hassle, so I'd like the opinion of some of you who are more experienced with Apple than I am - would it be easier to stick with a 4/4S and their associated products for now, since they seem to be more widely available and less pricey? Is there any chance they'd revert to the older connection in a future version - or another new one entirely - or is the lightning connection here to stay?

Question put to Apples Phil Schiller:
    Q. Will Apple change the connector again?
    A. Short answer: Probably at some point. But for now, Schiller told AllThingsD, “This is the new connector for many years to come.”

Question from me:
    How many types of connector have Nokia/Samsung/Sony Ericsson mobile phones had since the iPhone was launched?

A: No idea because Samsung changing a cable wouldn't make a news story.

Another thing to keep in mind is how many type of cable a new micro-usb based smartphone requires. I doubt you'll find:

Micro USB -> HDMI
    Micro USB -> VGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

30 pin connection launched with first iPod in 2001. Hardly a reason to worry about a company changing connection type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Guess that's that sorted, then - thanks for answering my silly question, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

it was about bloody time Apple changed that stupid 30pin connector..loving the new one and I actually prefer it over mini/micro-usb as less chance of damage inserting it..sure I had to splash out €50 on the usb and 30pin adapter but worth it for a thinner iphone :D
    Of course the android knobheads will tell you that it's Apple gouging but ask them how audio over usb is working out for the S3 or many other android phones...this is something that Android only got in the last update (jelly bean) and not every phone can get this.....this is something Apple had had for years over their connector and it's never bothered me.

Advertisement