Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path of exile? (Diablo 3 type free game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Ill take it if you still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Played one of the much older Beta's quite a while ago - A friend in League of Legends casually asked me one day if I was going to try PoExile - I hadn't heard a thing about it so gave the beta a go.

Ended up donating to them as the game seemed like something I could stick with and this gave me permanent access to it through it's development so I could log in anytime and mess about.

It's a solid game - It looks great and they're really delving into improvements over time. Some of my earlier gripes with it in the older beta have since been remedied going by the look I gave it last week so thats always a healthy sign.

I'm not overly keen on the way the builds work as it's all ridiculously huge... Should see the build-screen - You can quite literally take any path and build any way but I feel it'll still boil down to "If you didn't follow x, y or z build template you will underperform" but we'll see how that goes.

I should probably make a few more PoE videos before the big beta opening - Give the game a bit more experimentation while I can.

This is what I touched on earlier regarding the passive skill tree and I agree for newcomers it is quite daunting to see it and start placing points in! However in the grand scheme of things it's a very rewarding set-up for players who put some graft in as it really adds a deep system with a limitless amount of possible builds when coupled with the skill gem system.

It does however mean your first character or two possibly won't work out as a min/max character and re-rolls will be needed but again I think this is a good thing! There are re-spec orbs which grant you a skill point refund so altering of builds can be done also!

Can you respec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Magill wrote: »
    Can you respec ?

You can get respect points as quest rewards. But not many. And if I remember correctly, you can trade certain items to vendors to get an item that gives a respect point. (don't quote me on that...it's been a while since I played"

Magill wrote: »
    Ill take it if you still have it.
    Will PM you.

• Advertisement

You can get respect points as quest rewards. But not many. And if I remember correctly, you can trade certain items to vendors to get an item that gives a respect point. (don't quote me on that...it's been a while since I played"

Yeah you can't respec in the traditional sense but you get respec orbs that refund a point of your choice. Certain quest rewards give them and they have a small chance to drop so you can trade for them!

They are part of the games "currency" along with the multiple loot altering orbs.

Thats interesting anyway, really not very noob friendly. I like the sounds of it tho, gotta think more about what points/paths to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Whatever about providing in-game respec options; will the game be mod-able in such a way that players can 'hack' themselves a respec?

Because, y'know... analysis paralysis.

Fnz wrote: »
    Whatever about providing in-game respec options; will the game be mod-able in such a way that players can 'hack' themselves a respec?

Because, y'know... analysis paralysis.

Ha I know the feeling, I've been trying to work out a character build since I first supported over a year ago and I know once OB starts I'll be level 30 with no skill points used!! :P

Definitely won't be modable though, everyone plays online and to maintain a steady economy and fairness across the board any form of character training would be considered a hack.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Ha I know the feeling, I've been trying to work out a character build since I first supported over a year ago and I know once OB starts I'll be level 30 with no skill points used!! :P

Definitely won't be modable though, everyone plays online and to maintain a steady economy and fairness across the board any form of character training would be considered a hack.

Hopefully the 'respec points' come think and fast. I have a problem with being asked to make decisions based on no information (i.e. how will going down X skill tree 'feel to play' in 50 levels time).

• Advertisement

Hopefully the 'respec points' come think and fast. I have a problem with being asked to make decisions based on no information (i.e. how will going down X skill tree 'feel to play' in 50 levels time).

Then you'd have to do what everyone did in Diablo II. Start a new character and have fun leveling up a new build!
    I had over 20 characters in Diablo II, and each one taught me more about the game.

Afraid I agree with Rabbit on this one. It's part and parcel of the game style! You will never ever be happy with your first character in something like PoE. You learn the game from making new characters and experimenting with new builds and you pass your loot on to each as you go!

In a way it sort of embodies the game. Loot is completely random and you find yourself farming for weeks to get that right weapon you need and it's similar with characters. It may take you several attempts but eventually you will get it right!

Doing your homework will help immensely of course. The game has been in closed beta a long time and already has a big following of hardcore min/max theory crafters that have great build info and ideas on the forums!

Key here for anyone that wants it, only 4 days until OB but someone might get some use out of it:

SHU4W-LFLVV-7NEE3-HHMCV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Key here for anyone that wants it, only 4 days until OB but someone might get some use out of it:

SHU4W-LFLVV-7NEE3-HHMCV
    Thanks for, I'll have a bit of time to play this this weekend

Then you'd have to do what everyone did in Diablo II. Start a new character and have fun leveling up a new build!
    I had over 20 characters in Diablo II, and each one taught me more about the game.
    Afraid I agree with Rabbit on this one. It's part and parcel of the game style! You will never ever be happy with your first character in something like PoE. You learn the game from making new characters and experimenting with new builds and you pass your loot on to each as you go!

In a way it sort of embodies the game. Loot is completely random and you find yourself farming for weeks to get that right weapon you need and it's similar with characters. It may take you several attempts but eventually you will get it right!

Doing your homework will help immensely of course. The game has been in closed beta a long time and already has a big following of hardcore min/max theory crafters that have great build info and ideas on the forums!

Perhaps I'm missing something (genuinely). I'm not familiar with how the skills/damage work in PoE, specifically - but Diablo-style game mechanics seem very simple. I don't understand what starting each of the billion permutations (of each class) from scratch 'teaches' you about the game, beyond what could be achieved via respecs.

Hours of 'doing your homework' on forum threads, youtube videos and build guides to get the most from (and avoid gimping) your character, seems like needless busywork - sub optimal and providing imperfect information. Likewise, having to spend hundreds of hours to try 10 similar (but different) builds for yourself discourages experimentation.

An easy respec feature can cut all that out.

Perhaps I'm missing something (genuinely). I'm not familiar with how the skills/damage work in PoE, specifically - but Diablo-style game mechanics seem very simple. I don't understand what starting each of the billion permutations (of each class) from scratch 'teaches' you about the game, beyond what could be achieved via respecs.

Hours of 'doing your homework' on forum threads, youtube videos and build guides to get the most from (and avoid gimping) your character, seems like needless busywork - sub optimal and providing imperfect information. Likewise, having to spend hundreds of hours to try 10 similar (but different) builds for yourself discourages experimentation.

I donno, it depends on how you look at it. A lot of people like the whole theorycraft/research side to these games, infact i'd go as far to say its one of the main reasons people continue to come back to them. The best players will put the time in to really understand the gear/spec. Number crunching is what these games are built upon tbh.

It's part and parcel of the true ARPG. Respecs are for MMO's. Part of the ARPG experience is making that character that's viable to rip up the hardest difficulties when you get it right and also having fun trying out different builds. You are free to trade and use gear willingly and it's the skill system that is sort of "soulbound" to your character as such!

It also comes down to the ladders and race events which are a big part of things. Respecing characters during race and ladder events would completely go against the entire point of them. Remember you can be be power levelled in these games by other players, it's not a grind to level once you know the system and it becomes quite easy.

Also allowing respecs basically kills the lower level economy of trading items as a few months down the line long term players will have one of each character at max level and lower level items become obsolete! Partying is also rewarded with tougher enemies and better drops to encourage group play. If a new player decides to start a few months down the line and everyone has their one character at max then the early portions of the game will essentially be dead and that can be off putting as the game is quite tough when solo at times.

I know it seems like having the option to respec makes life that bit easier but it would change the dynamic of the game so much. I don't want to sound cheeky but if you do play PoE and stick with it I bet you will change your mind down the line! ;)

Lads I have one more beta key, was keeping it for a friend but he hasn't been around in a few days and there's only 4 days of closed beta left so let me know if anyone wants it!

If you play as the Shadow class, you can spec for swords, claws, or bows. Each play very differently.
    In the passive skill tree, there are certain skills which give huge boosts to various things. Choosing one path over another to select these high value passive skills can completely alter your character.

And it's the same for the other 5 classes. This game plays like D2, but it has so much more depth and customisation.

If you play as the Shadow class, you can spec for swords, claws, or bows. Each play very differently.
    In the passive skill tree, there are certain skills which give huge boosts to various things. Choosing one path over another to select these high value passive skills can completely alter your character.

And it's the same for the other 5 classes. This game plays like D2, but it has so much more depth and customisation.

What are you planning on rolling for OB? Do you have a build in mind? I'm still undecided. I didn't play enough to really get to grips with each class but I kind of wish I did go a bit deeper now.

I was thinking flicker strike dagger shadow but the CI nerf has me worried now so I may just go Witch for a safe first run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Lads I have one more beta key, was keeping it for a friend but he hasn't been around in a few days and there's only 4 days of closed beta left so let me know if anyone wants it!

Oh I wouldn't mind that

I fancy giving this a go tomorrow

What are you planning on rolling for OB? Do you have a build in mind? I'm still undecided. I didn't play enough to really get to grips with each class but I kind of wish I did go a bit deeper now.

I was thinking flicker strike dagger shadow but the CI nerf has me worried now so I may just go Witch for a safe first run!

I honestly haven't decided. I haven't played in a while, so all my characters are legacy and a lot has changed. Witch is probably the safer option, but I really want a melee build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Thanks Bigknox, there goes my entire Sunday

2 Days to go!! I won a tidy sum on the Chelsea - Arsenal game yesterday and am seriously considering upgrading my Silver support to Gold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I spent 180eu on lego yesterday. I don't have money to support them lol.

2 days to go. So wensday?

I spent 180eu on lego yesterday. I don't have money to support them lol.

2 days to go. So wensday?

€180 on lego? Nice!! :p

Yep 21:00 on Wednesday the last wipe is taking place and then OB officially starts. Act 3 will open for the first time and will be available on all difficulties as well as some major updates to the passive skill tree and more!

I still have no idea what class I'm rolling and the more I try and sort out a build the further I seem to move away from actually deciding!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

€180 on lego? Nice!! :p

Yep 21:00 on Wednesday the last wipe is taking place and then OB officially starts. Act 3 will open for the first time and will be available on all difficulties as well as some major updates to the passive skill tree and more!

I still have no idea what class I'm rolling and the more I try and sort out a build the further I seem to move away from actually deciding!! :o

Thats only small part of my addiction. :P Those who think Pc gaming is expensive hobby clearly have never heard about lego! :D

So for me its open on thursday so. I am going to be in bed at 21:00 on wensday :D. fecking work!

Shameless one day to go bump!

For anyone interested there's some great videos on GGG's youtube page. Most weeks they do a "build of the week" special on interesting or unique builds that someone from the playerbase has come up with! Some of the builds are excellent and it really shows the amount of customisation available as people are coming up with new builds all the time!

https://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill dload the client tonight ready for OB.
    Great game from what i played back in June and July,im guessing its even better now.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Seems we're under the 24hr mark - Squeezed in a two day session to get the feel for it again before the wipe happens.

Ended up blitzing to 26-28 range as a Lignting Melee Witch:

Sparks, Lightning Strike, LgtDamage & Cast Speed Passives - Using a life-steal weapon (All forks of lightning from LStrike actually apply on-hit and lifesteal) and worked out pretty well.

Unfortunately I ended up not bothering to focus much on my Energy Shield or ES Gear so it's not really optimal as she's not designed to actually get struck in melee but at that level range it hardly matters. Sparks, LStrike and Detonate Dead (With added Lightning damage through support gems) makes for some sick room clearing at times when mana holds up, but not very safe for meaty dastardly hard-hitting mobs with resistances, like some bosses.

I'll definitely be going Witch as my first core character, have done anytime I played the game, just feels natural - Not sure wether to stick with my Lightning stubborness or go for something more common like Ice-Crit.

If you're going lightning strike with a melee build and life leech you should really consider going shadow instead of witch! Much easier access to the passives to really push the build in the right direction!

Advertisement