Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path of exile? (Diablo 3 type free game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gonna have to give this a bit of research tomorrow, see what sorta build/class imma go with. Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Actually looking forward to this tomorrow. Wasn't to keen on it when i first saw it but i have a feeling its one of those games that lacks presentation but is a damn fine gameplay experience.

Seems to be alot of character pre-planning. I'm just gonna start a character tomorrow and wing it :D

Read on the site that the game will be free-to-play on release, and wont be pay-to-win. How are they gonna make revenue on this game? I cant see vanity items working in such a game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How does work for multiplayer? Is it like Diablo where there will be 4 of you and enemies level up in difficulty. Or is it on a server with lots of other players and you have to team up to kill a certain enemy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

more like guild wars I believe

shared quest hubs with randomers, but individual dungeon instances - which you can do as a party (max of 4?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Magill wrote: »
    Gonna have to give this a bit of research tomorrow, see what sorta build/class imma go with. Any suggestions ?

To be honest I still haven't decided on my final build yet and I've spent the last 2 nights trying to come up with it!

The best thing I can advise is pick a class based on a particular playstyle you think you will like and then go onto the official forums and work from there.

Marauder: 2 hand melee (Armour)
    Duelist: Dual-wield melee (Armour + Evasion)
    Shadow: Dagger/Claw crit melee (Evasion + Energy Shield)
    Ranger: Physical or elemental bow (Evasion)
    Witch: Caster (Energy Shield)
    Templar: Melee / Caster Hybrid (Armour + Energy Shield)

But the thing about PoE is the above are really just templates to work with, such is the skill system and passive tree that you see weird builds like Bow Witchs and Caster Duelists all the time!
    Actually looking forward to this tomorrow. Wasn't to keen on it when i first saw it but i have a feeling its one of those games that lacks presentation but is a damn fine gameplay experience.

Seems to be alot of character pre-planning. I'm just gonna start a character tomorrow and wing it :D

Read on the site that the game will be free-to-play on release, and wont be pay-to-win. How are they gonna make revenue on this game? I cant see vanity items working in such a game

Rumour has it the difficulty in OB has ramped up quite a bit and getting to end-game (maps) is absolutely killer without a solid pre-planned build so If you do plan on winging it I would be prepared to start a new character! Having said that the OB patch has so many changes a lot of the stronger CB builds won't even cut it now anyway so winging it could be for the best! :p

GGG have said that support packs have sold 10x what they ever expected with them making more than $2,000,000 in total. There has been a massive increase in the community size over the past few months and the game is in fantastic shape it seems. I picked up a silver support pack for $100!

It's definitely not play2win, the usual cosmetic stuff is there for armours and even spell effects then you can also get different stash upgrades like extra + premium tabs, public trade tabs and guild stashs etc. Having said that what you start the game with is more than enough to do you, they haven't purposely limited you so you will spend money. Basic character slots is 24 for instance and I've no idea why you would need to buy more ha!

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How does work for multiplayer? Is it like Diablo where there will be 4 of you and enemies level up in difficulty. Or is it on a server with lots of other players and you have to team up to kill a certain enemy?

It's your conventional ARPG multiplayer, only people in your party will show up when outside of town. The difference is the towns are like hubs as mentioned above where you can see and interact with other players for trading etc.

They also have a good party system in place for joining groups. Each town has a notice board which shows all current open parties, what area + quest they're on and what the level range is which you can jump straight into!

When is it officially open beta, is it right now or later on today?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    When is it officially open beta, is it right now or later on today?

Servers open at 21:00 tonight!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill be rolling quite a few alts, although i said that with diablo 3 and i got sick of that when i maxed my fist toon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah no idea what I'm going to main, probably just start with a Witch since I typically like magic style characters in these games :)

• Advertisement

I'm playing away nicely.

Hardcore obviously, no issues with login and servers very stable, good job to the publishers!

Unfortunately I'm getting horrendously low FPS, betweeen 15-20

Reading the website there seems to be compatibility issues with NVIDIA cards, pretty annoying and a real risk as I'm playing hardcore.

I played there for half an hour with no problems, all was very smooth. Looking forward to putting some time into it over next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Bah....downloading the patch...at 83KB/s...all 1.53 GB of it.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    RopeDrink's Stubborn Ole Mule Duel Maces Lightning Melee Witch Of Ineffectiveness Build.

Something like this. Doesn't seem that stat hungry, either - Never had any problem weilding Maces - Worst case scenario it'd sometimes require catering an item slot or two to Dex or Str but seems entirely possible. Only downside is that one-haded spike weapons have natural lifesteal bonuses whereas Maces have purely Elemental, but I'm sure that can be worked on.

The problem with this set-up is once you hit Merciless you are going to hit a wall as reports indicate the difficulty has jumped massively even since CB and only very strong builds are cutting it. You will most likely feel very underpowered in both come Merciless as you will have tried to accommodate both in the passive tree and when gear checked!
    TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm playing away nicely.

Hardcore obviously, no issues with login and servers very stable, good job to the publishers!

Unfortunately I'm getting horrendously low FPS, betweeen 15-20

Reading the website there seems to be compatibility issues with NVIDIA cards, pretty annoying and a real risk as I'm playing hardcore.

No issues here so far, has been very smooth. If you're on the newest drivers possibly try a re-roll back and see if it helps?

I might roll ranger this time round and go with build in this video, looks a lot of fun.

I went with a Witch summoner build. Very interesting and enjoying the play style :)

Looking forward to clocking off today to go home and put some hours in :) Its also nice to witness what appears a pleasent community. As people in the hardcore league were dieing the calls were all RIP , goodnight sweet prince and tbh, positive ****.

Maybe its from playing too much LoL, but I expected absolute chaos when someone died, or asked a question, but it turned out to be very helpful and a nice community, from last nights session anyway

I went with a Witch summoner build. Very interesting and enjoying the play style :)

Looking forward to clocking off today to go home and put some hours in :) Its also nice to witness what appears a pleasent community. As people in the hardcore league were dieing the calls were all RIP , goodnight sweet prince and tbh, positive ****.

Maybe its from playing too much LoL, but I expected absolute chaos when someone died, or asked a question, but it turned out to be very helpful and a nice community, from last nights session anyway

The commmunity was the same at pretty much every stage of betas, from day one i found it to be similar.
    Granted in only played from June through July on and off.

Yeah one of the first things i noticed was how helpful people were in the chat.

I decided to go ranged shadow, got a split arrow build im working towards. Nice so far, just need to get the split arrow gem :P

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah one of the first things i noticed was how helpful people were in the chat.

I decided to go ranged shadow, got a split arrow build im working towards. Nice so far, just need to get the split arrow gem :P

Yeah got a similar gem for the ranger, good fun.

Throw me your char names and I'll add you as mates when I'm home :)
    Are you playing softcore or hardcore?

• Advertisement

Played this till 7am this morning. Kicked off the download about 5am since the DL speeds where super slow all day yesterday. Liking it alot so far but one thing that bothers me is that you can't queue movement after a spell cast animation. Playing as a Witch and i want to kite as much as possible but i have to wait till the cast animation is over before clicking to move, or just spam click during the animation. It really slows down my damage output this way so i just end up facetanking stuff and casting spells, which is kinda crap. I may end up starting over as a melee character because of this.

Feels alot more fluid in Diablo 3 where i can click the enemy and before the attack animation is over ill click somewhere behind my character and ill move straight away.

Other than that it seems like it has alot of promise, and i could end up playing this alot longer than i played Diablo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well finally got it installed and had enough time only to level up to 9.

What do I think of if so far? Well, it's a mixed bag, though more positive I guess.

I like the gem/abilities idea. That is very clever. That was the initial plan for d3. The "rune system", which they scraped so it would apeal more to brain dead monkeys.
    No gold, but currency are items, that you need to use. Clever again. It might really hold off the inflation, which is now a curse of D3.
    Items. Really interesting, took me awhile until I realised that there are: armour, evasion, shield stats. I was wondering why my robe has higher numbed then bad ass "slab of metal" lol.

Obviously it will be compared to Diablo 3. So far this game plays quite well, but obviously Diablo 3 feels, plays, looks a lot better. I will hold on with my judgment until I get higher level. I do love stuff so far, but I wonder if higher level gems will have wow, cool factor in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Four hours to download 160 MB. :eek: At least I'll be in by the weekend.:)
    Looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

played it for a hour or two today, really enjoying it so far even the story unlike d3 which had me cringing from the start. The only thing im not to fond about is no gender selection for the different classes.

I donno, i think diablo looks much nicer, or at least more polished. I've always liked blizzards style when it comes to graphics tho, just like how i prefer WoW's graphically style over pretty much any other MMO. Might not be the most detailed or realistic, but it usually succeeds in making your character look like a badass.

Anyway, really enjoying the game so far.. started act 3 tonite (Think im level 29 or 30 atm) nothing has really been that difficult so far, tho i have died a few times so its certainly more challenging than D3.. at least with my current build. Actually got a unique pair of boots within my first 10 minutes of playing yesterday, nothing else yet tho :P

Still a total noob with the orbs and gems etc but i like that, its nice wee learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RopeDrink: One thing is to prefer one art style to other thing is pure superior technical side.

Diablo 3 is supperior in any given way when if comes to technical side, but that's how it should be too, fecking thing was in development for ages and had blizzards funding and one of the main franchises.

PoE does not look bad, it has different art style, which gives different look and feel. I will agree with you, that is a really good looking free to play game. Fair play to them. Specially when they did not had the bottomless blizzard wallet to do it.

There is a fine line between "not liking" the art style and "looks bad".

Good night sweet prince.

Caught a bit of lag last night and my HC character bit the dust, deleting and re-rolling tonight.

Agree with MAgill above, the inability to queue up movement after a spellcast is a right pain in the dick and makes kiting feel like its broken, but its actually just the game design.

Good night sweet prince.

Caught a bit of lag last night and my HC character bit the dust, deleting and re-rolling tonight.

Agree with MAgill above, the inability to queue up movement after a spellcast is a right pain in the dick and makes kiting feel like its broken, but its actually just the game design.

Was me that mentioned that. ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE :(:(:(

Nearing the end of act 2 now. Enjoying it but im getting somewhat bored. Made a Firetype Witch and at the moment all im doing is spaming Fireball with Firestorm thrown in now and again for groups. Seems to be a ****load of Ice and Electric damage spells and like 3 fire ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

my build is usually determined by what ****e I can find at the time... probably not the best for long term success :p

• Advertisement

Was me that mentioned that. ACKNOWLEDGE MY EXISTENCE :(:(:(

I apologise

Advertisement