Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path of exile? (Diablo 3 type free game)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Played a couple hours this morning. Enjoying it so far & I agree with the lads about the kiting thing. Hopefully they will address it in a patch. I'm playing as a ranger at the moment. Anyone know the best build to go for with this char yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Brought up the kiting thing on the forum on reddit, working as intended is the response

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im near finished act 1 on cruel (I think thats the second difficulty ?) Anyway, im about level 39, so im a few levels higher than hte mobs, but some of them absolutely **** on me. Those dino/goat ramming things 2 shot me ! the non elite ones. Hopefully the next 10 or so levels will help improve my defensive a bit !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Played a couple hours this morning. Enjoying it so far & I agree with the lads about the kiting thing. Hopefully they will address it in a patch. I'm playing as a ranger at the moment. Anyone know the best build to go for with this char yet?

I posted a vid a few pages back with a nice build.

Dcully wrote: »
    I posted a vid a few pages back with a nice build.

Oops must of missed it, thanks

• Advertisement

Epic bug killed my Marauder on HC, mobs went invisible in a pack I was killing, couldnt hit them, yet they borked me :D

Going to roll another witch, I like how it leaves your character to normal aswell, got some sick items on my two chars so far from lucky drops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

TheDoc wrote: »
    Epic bug killed my Marauder on HC, mobs went invisible in a pack I was killing, couldnt hit them, yet they borked me :D

Going to roll another witch, I like how it leaves your character to normal aswell, got some sick items on my two chars so far from lucky drops :D

I actually dislike how it converts your character to softcore. You should lose everything when you die. Like there is no reason not to start all your chars on HC even if you plan to play SC. Either way when im finished with this witch playthrough im gonna go exclusive HC and delete all my characters that die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Finally got through the pyramid! That place was horrid!

Finally got through the pyramid! That place was horrid!

I had to do that place twice since when i got to the end i didn't have the key item. It was hell on earth. Worse than underwater section in games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Lads you're absolutely mental jumping straight into HC on this. The difficulty curve is insane and unless you know exactly what you're doing you are going to die continuously and end up hating the game!

I wouldn't touch HC properly until you have a good few level 75+ maps under the belt at the very least and a really solid understanding of the game mechanics with a build that is going to cut it! (That ice shot build linked above is fine for normal and maybe cruel but it won't cut it for merciless or maps).

I would always play hardcore in a proper ARPG but dying constantly on Merciless difficulty is not something I want to do so I'm going to get a few toons up as far as maps on SC and see how certain builds play out!

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    Lads you're absolutely mental jumping straight into HC on this. The difficulty curve is insane and unless you know exactly what you're doing you are going to die continuously and end up hating the game!

I wouldn't touch HC properly until you have a good few level 75+ maps under the belt at the very least and a really solid understanding of the game mechanics with a build that is going to cut it! (That ice shot build linked above is fine for normal and maybe cruel but it won't cut it for merciless or maps).

I would always play hardcore in a proper ARPG but dying constantly on Merciless difficulty is not something I want to do so I'm going to get a few toons up as far as maps on SC and see how certain builds play out!

Your hardcore character doesn't get wiped out tho, so tbh theres no real point not starting in hardcore.

Rolled a summoner witch yesterday, so much easier than my shadow. Actually really handy not having to use mana pots since my regen is so good. My zombies are starting to get really strong, found a couple of uniques that work really well with the summorer (One being a neckpiece that gives 10-15% health/Dmg and speed to minions).

Magill wrote: »
    Your hardcore character doesn't get wiped out tho, so tbh theres no real point not starting in hardcore.

Rolled a summoner witch yesterday, so much easier than my shadow. Actually really handy not having to use mana pots since my regen is so good. My zombies are starting to get really strong, found a couple of uniques that work really well with the summorer (One being a neckpiece that gives 10-15% health/Dmg and speed to minions).

No I agree absolutely, starting new characters in HC makes sense but restarting HC every time you die (and you will die) is crazy right now!

There's a lot of leeway for summoners to work alright, passive skills, skill gems and certain uniques are tailored for it.

Yeah, i'd imagine it would be impossible to finish the game on hardcore without dying... unless you've been playing the beta for months. I've died ALOT in this game, at least compared to D2 where i didn't die until like nightmare on my first playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hmmm...keep getting disconnected (no error) and when I try to log in now I get:
    tzyxtrE.png

Hmmm...keep getting disconnected (no error) and when I try to log in now I get:
    tzyxtrE.png

It is because of this:
    The realm crashed as we hit a new record of 69850 players online. We're working on fixing the problem!

Their servers were getting smashed by ddos'ers yesterday apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's crashing very often....Game feels like a mad dash to the next waypoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye, getting somewhat frustrating..!

/edit taken down completely for the moment

Wossack wrote: »
    aye, getting somewhat frustrating..!

/edit taken down completely for the moment

With good reason!
    We're getting absolutely crushed under the number of players trying out Path of Exile, and this has manifested as a server crash that has been occurring hourly today. In addition, there is a very rare bug that caused some players to log in to accounts from other players. The scope of this bug is very limited (and in almost all cases, the players logged out without disturbing anything). Fixes for both are being worked on at the moment. Because the game experience is compromised and people are disconnected due to the crashes, we have turned the game servers off until they can be brought up in a more stable state. I will update this post as we go - it shouldn't be too long! Thanks again for your patience, and sorry about these launch issues. It's amazing to see such high demand for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Can the diablo 3 type free game be removed from the title ? It's an arpg with great potential made with hardly what one would call the finances of blizzards d2 sequel....

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    Can the diablo 3 type free game be removed from the title ? It's an arpg with great potential made with hardly what one would call the finances of blizzards d2 sequel....

+1

The D3 reference while accurate also annoys me! :pac:

Well my HC Marauder came back onto my account during the weekend. They verified my bug report and rolled my account back so hes alive!

Rolled another Witch in the meantime building a more offensive build.

Really enjoying it I have to say, problem is always going to be keeping interest once the grind starts, but so far its pretty decent for a F2p/.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well my HC Marauder came back onto my account during the weekend. They verified my bug report and rolled my account back so hes alive!

Rolled another Witch in the meantime building a more offensive build.

Really enjoying it I have to say, problem is always going to be keeping interest once the grind starts, but so far its pretty decent for a F2p/.

That was good of them in fairness. They're still getting hammered and it's obvious the servers are under a bit of pressure but it's been a pretty smooth release for the most part and it's good to see the game doing so well.

I haven't had half as much time to play as I hoped but I'm loving it so far. Going an aura stacking ele wand templar. Seems to be a solid build for late game, especially in a party as running 7 auras and conduit for sharing charges works great to support the group. Now I just need to find the time to finish Cruel and Merciless!

Lotsa disconnects tonight. Made a HC Barbarian ;) and there is honestly no point in playing when the entire map gets repopulated when you log back in, and then you DC again and get put in a queue of 12000 people.

On another note, this game is ALOT of fun. GGG have the worlds attention with this game judging by the twitchtv stream numbers and alot of high profile streamers picking the game up. Now they gotta grab this opportunity by the balls and knock in 23 hour work shifts to make this game the standard other ARPGs will be compared to, and i really hope they do it!!

Mate came over and we started off new characters at 8 yesterday evening. It's now 6.30 am the next day.....This game is awesome!!

Can't state how much I'm loving this at the moment. The game is just ARPG perfection! I could talk about how they've nailed pretty much every aspect of the game but it would take me all day!

The devs really know what makes the economy tick and trading is a joy again, going back to becoming a fun part of the experience. The currency/crafting system is genius with everything being a usable resource and they've even managed to do the impossible, which is make white loot useful. A 5/6 link white chest piece can be worth more than any rare or even unique. Everything has it's purpose and it makes a really nice change from just ignoring 90% of the crap that drops in your typical ARPG.

Haven't had a massive amount of time to play unfortunately. Just at the start of merciless and I have to say while I found cruel a lot easier than expected, the jump up into merciless looks much higher than that from normal to cruel even from the little of Act1 I played last night. Looking forward to reaching end game and trying out some maps!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I said it before and wil say it again this game is better than Diablo3.
    I still enjoy D3 the odd time but theres just so much to love about POE and indeed torchlight 2.
    I expressed this opinion back soon after D3 was released and quite a few on here said i was talking porkies even though they hadnt played POE.
    ARPG fans are being totally spoiled right now and anyone dismissing this game because its F2P are quite frankly off their heads,just like other F2P games like Planetside 2,Tribes Ascend,World of Tanks people seem to dismiss them because they are F2P.
    They are fooling nobody but themselves, F2P is here to stay and the games will only get better.
    POE devs are nothing short of spectacular in their interaction with the community,its guys like these that listen to their community i wish every success to,fair play to them they had a plan,stuck to it and still stick to it, i really hope they reap the rewards as they deserve it.

Dcully wrote: »
    I said it before and wil say it again this game is better than Diablo3.
    I still enjoy D3 the odd time but theres just so much to love about POE and indeed torchlight 2.
    I expressed this opinion back soon after D3 was released and quite a few on here said i was talking porkies even though they hadnt played POE.
    ARPG fans are being totally spoiled right now and anyone dismissing this game because its F2P are quite frankly off their heads,just like other F2P games like Planetside 2,Tribes Ascend,World of Tanks people seem to dismiss them because they are F2P.
    They are fooling nobody but themselves, F2P is here to stay and the games will only get better.
    POE devs are nothing short of spectacular in their interaction with the community,its guys like these that listen to their community i wish every success to,fair play to them they had a plan,stuck to it and still stick to it, i really hope they reap the rewards as they deserve it.

Agree with all of this. No-one was looking forward to D3 more than me. D2 is probably still my favourite game of all time but D3 was such a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, the game has that Blizzard polish you expect and it has that AAA feel but it just wasn't a Diablo game in spirit. They made some frankly bad decisions and the inclusion of the AH ruined the entire point of an ARPG, which is a player driven economy! Jay Wilson and the dev team didn't do themselves any favours either with their extremely arrogant stance on the negative feedback.

GGG on the other hand are everything you want and more from a dev team. From day one they have listened to feedback and suggestions from the community and built their game around this info, working on the fantastic base model they have themselves and it has grown into something special!

Quick personal story; I bought the silver supporter pack about a month before OB. With that you get the usual €100 worth of coins for micros and they send you a boxed version of the game, sound-track and a poster of Wraeclast! I really wanted to get the gold supporter pack which has the option of getting all the merchandise signed by the dev team. I wanted to get the signed poster framed for the wall in the PC room. Anyway I chanced my arm and fired off an e-mail to them asking would they be kind enough to sign my poster and outlined my plans for it. I was expecting the usual cookie cutter e-mail back but got the complete opposite. I won't go into specifics but I was in contact with them everyday for nearly a week and they are sending me a signed version of the boxed game, a signed T-shirt (cringe) and the poster signed by all the lead devs. The e-mails were so down to earth as well and the guy I was in contact with just came across as someone who loves his games as much as the next person and was delighted to be doing what he was doing!

Complete legends and I will be a lifelong fan of whatever they do now!

The mirco transaction prices are ridiculous for some things. Ill probably get 20 quid worth of coins just because i think the game deserves to be paid for.

Finding the game far more difficult than diablo or torchlight. Still only on cruel act 2. The standard mobs are fine but the bosses have been smashing me. Cba grouping up so just been farming and trading regret orbs to respect for more defense.

Im sure there are lots of standard i win builds but its more fun doing things the hard way.

• Advertisement

Act3 Merciless is tough going! Found Cruel surprisingly easy but Merciless can be ballbusting at times. Act1/2 were manageable with minimal deaths playing cautiously but the third bandit "Oak" on merciless is insane. You need extremely high DPS to burst him down as he will just leap slam and one/two shot you! The XP loss is quite high aswell. A friend playing a cold/crit CI Witch lost an entire level once or twice which is tough going in the high 50's.

Pro-tip: 3L with Summon Skeletons + Spell Totem + Faster Casting is the best investment you will ever make. The totem spams skeletons with faster casting and they can take all the aggro while you nuke everything down. You can also use the totem to scout ahead, as the totem will summon a full room ahead of itself if it is within range of mobs. Literally a life saver! It can also block up doors and stop you from getting overrun!

Advertisement