Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path of exile? (Diablo 3 type free game)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Thread is very quiet. Is everyone after giving up already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Started playing this last night and found the quality of the game outstanding for FTP. Never used a necromancer type character before so went with that and it's great craic. Skill tree is really good as is the weapon upgrade system. Will definitely be pumping hours into this in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Started a Marauder... melee is easy mode compared to range ! at level 45 atm, only died a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just hit Cruel on my HC Mara. Steamrolled all of Act 3 on normal with 75% resist in everything since near the start of Act 2. Then i nearly got 2 shot by a Brutus clone called Kole in the last dungeon. Shat my ****ing pants.

Game is lots of fun and i wanna try out so many different builds but between this and other games i just don't have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, going to go melee next time alright - my ranged shadow is getting a bit stonewalled at the moment

• Advertisement

Level 72 running maps at the moment. Bar the bosses I actually found Merciless a lot easier than expected. Only died to Vaal (2 or 3 times) and the bandit Oak!

Glad I went with the build I did as I've had alot of success with it. Running 7 auras really helps with the defensive side of things! A friend is playing a cold/crit CI witch and he dies ALOT even with a good build and decent gear!

Starting the proper gear up process now which is going to take awhile however the crafting system is excellent and a lot of fun. Once you hit maps and start finding ilvl 70+ gear you can really turn them into amazing pieces of gear if you have enough mats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually gone back to diablo 3... I stoped at level 24 i think. I dunno, just dont have the urge to go back in to it. Stupidly enough i am getting some fun in D3. Made myself a WW BABA and farming. From what i have seen on twitch my BABA is weakling! :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Level 42 ranger now just on to act two in cruel. Playing with a mate who is some sort of mele char, ha not sure which one. Really enjoying it although it has been tough at times.

What is the currency in this game & what are the things people mostly look for on items?

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Level 42 ranger now just on to act two in cruel. Playing with a mate who is some sort of mele char, ha not sure which one. Really enjoying it although it has been tough at times.

What is the currency in this game & what are the things people mostly look for on items?

The currency is a bit of a learning process. Every orb is a form of currency but generally only Alchemy and above are used for trading.

A quick breakdown at the moment is:

1 Exalted = 2 Divine (6gcp)
    1 Divine = 3 Gem Cutters Prism (3 gcp)
    1 Regal = 2 chaos (1.5 gcp)
    1 gcp = 3 chaos
    1 chaos = 2 alchemy
    1 regret = 1 chaos
    1 alchemy = 1 fusing
    3 scouring = 2 alchemy / fusing

GCP's (Gem Cutters Prisms) are the standard currency which everything is judged against. Lower level skill gems and entry level rares are usually traded for Alcs or Chaos orbs but anything above that the price is usually quoted in GCP's. Anything worth more than 5 GCP are usually offered in exalted. Divine, Regal, regret and fusing ca be traded but generally only if specified!

Poeex.info has a break down of the orbs but it is slightly out of date and some of the currencies have changed in price. The main thing to look out for is people trying to scam people out of orbs who don't know the market yet so just be careful when trading. Ask for a price check in trade chat if you're uncertain of someones price!

Thanks! I'm gonna just play through & use self found gear until I feel I need to start trading. Hopefully I will understand what to look out for by then. At the moment I am just keeping all orbs etc I find that look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Big Knox wrote: »
    Level 72 running maps at the moment. Bar the bosses I actually found Merciless a lot easier than expected. Only died to Vaal (2 or 3 times) and the bandit Oak!

Glad I went with the build I did as I've had alot of success with it. Running 7 auras really helps with the defensive side of things! A friend is playing a cold/crit CI witch and he dies ALOT even with a good build and decent gear!

Starting the proper gear up process now which is going to take awhile however the crafting system is excellent and a lot of fun. Once you hit maps and start finding ilvl 70+ gear you can really turn them into amazing pieces of gear if you have enough mats.
    7 Aura's? Ok, I'm curious. Spill the beans!

7 Aura's? Ok, I'm curious. Spill the beans!

Discipline, Clarity, Determination, Grace, Wrath, Anger, Tempest Shield.

I swap Determination with Purity depending on the map rolls. How it's possible is Eldrich Battery. Currently gives me 1500 mana which is more than enough to run all 7 even at nearly max levels for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Some helpful websites:

Path of Exile shops indexer - Indexs all the item posts on the POE forums, Allowing you to quickly search for any items you want to buy, Really handy:)
    Currency Exchange Rates - Gives a rough estimate of currency value
    Worth of Gems - Gives a rough estimate of gem value

Also, Anyone around level 60 want to group up and do some farming runs? Getting bored of the cut throat public groups:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Big Knox wrote: »
    Thread is very quiet. Is everyone after giving up already?

Doing RAF on WoW with a friend and climbing ladders in LoL.

POE is a good game, but I'm treating it as a solo game at the moment, which inevitably falls down the pecking order .

Some helpful websites:

Path of Exile shops indexer - Indexs all the item posts on the POE forums, Allowing you to quickly search for any items you want to buy, Really handy:)
    Currency Exchange Rates - Gives a rough estimate of currency value
    Worth of Gems - Gives a rough estimate of gem value

Also, Anyone around level 60 want to group up and do some farming runs? Getting bored of the cut throat public groups:(

A decent enough guide for anyone unsure of currency or gem prices however I would be careful regarding gem prices. They have dropped a lot the past week alone. The big hitters like Chain, GMP and Ele Hit have gone from prices ranging from 3 - 6 gcp down to 1 - 2 gcp as more have become available!

Poeex.info is slightly out of date also. An exalted is worth 5 gcp now and not 6 so again be careful as people are trying to take advantage of the price shifts.

Public groups are very hit and miss. I would avoid any "FFA" groups unless you specifically want to play in them. Player loot is up for grabs and generally they are small groups who grab up everything and take advantage of less experienced players. I would definitely avoid any groups with FFA in the name for awhile!

Public mapping is usually a lot better. If you join a fair group, drops go to the player name with no ninja looting and all maps go to the player that opened the current map. It works quite well!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Useful chart for people wondering about the 3 main ARPG`s

ActionRPG-Venn-Diagram_1360362317.jpg

So ive being enjoying path of exile and torchlight 2 so much i thought id take another look at diablo 3, i quit about a month after release.
    I must admit to really enjoying it now,its a hell of a lot better than it was on release.
    I find all my gaming time these days is hopping between POE,Diablo3 and Torchlight as im enjoying all three immensely, and with Grim Dawn due to be released in the next few months we are spoiled in the genre right now.

Dcully wrote: »
    So ive being enjoying path of exile and torchlight 2 so much i thought id take another look at diablo 3, i quit about a month after release.
    I must admit to really enjoying it now,its a hell of a lot better than it was on release.
    I find all my gaming time these days is hopping between POE,Diablo3 and Torchlight as im enjoying all three immensely, and with Grim Dawn due to be released in the next few months we are spoiled in the genre right now.

Dropping the end game difficulty and bringing in Monster Power really helped. Every gets to play at their preferred difficulty.

Still only an extremely tiny chance of an end game item dropping that you will use. Almost everything decent is bought from the AH, so it's still a gold grinding game...and hence it's major weakness. Well that and the total lack in replayability due to insta-respec.

Season1 starts tomorrow. It looks like there will be on average 3 races a day with the majority between 1 and 3 hours in length and plenty of opportunity to get rewards even for the more casual players. The reward scheme is a great system, I'll be trying for the 60 point coral ring as it's ilvl 100. Throw a few chaos orbs on it and make a very nice end game ring for my main!

Even if you don't start getting reward points immediately it's a great way to learn the game and get some alts off the ground. The party races sound fun also if playing with friends!

Can't believe there's not more interest in this. It's the truest and by far the best ARPG since D2 and I can even see it surpassing it come release once more content is introduced with further acts.

My main is 80 and I'm now happy with my gear overall (spending 20 exalted to get a chest mirrored :o) means I can start working on some alts. Now that I have a good feel for the game I'm going to roll HC this time around, although not having access to any of my stash will be a pain.

The cut-throat league, openworld pvp with full loot will be coming out soon and I can't wait. It should be excellent!

• Advertisement

People hear F2P and automatically form a bad opinion, more fool them i say.
    It is indeed an incredible game and one i plan to really get into further down the road.
    Right now im playing a lot of torchlight 2 synergies mod and some D3 and POE here and there.
    I tend to leave a game in a genre that i expect to spend more time with till last, kinda like leaving the favourite part of my dinner till last :)
    Everything about POE is pure class imo,easily one of the more deserving dev team out there.
    I remember speaking for about 25 mins in chat with their main man Chris in an early beta and some of their plans sounded amazing, he was a pure gentleman.
    I cant urge people enough to try this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually had it deleted completely and got back to Diablo. I don't have enough times to spread between 3 games. :(. PoE has some nice ideas and for free to play game it's a sin not to try it out.

As much as its popular and fun to hate Diablo 3, I still love it. Each patch brings it up to the game it should have been in the first place.

I actually had it deleted completely and got back to Diablo. I don't have enough times to spread between 3 games. :(. PoE has some nice ideas and for free to play game it's a sin not to try it out.

As much as its popular and fun to hate Diablo 3, I still love it. Each patch brings it up to the game it should have been in the first place.

D3 Live is more like D3 Public Beta that you have to pay for. Eventually it will be a classic...after patch 50 or so.

Going to have a go at the 2 hour race on tonight at 9. First time doing one so should be disastrous :P

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Going to have a go at the 2 hour race on tonight at 9. First time doing one so should be disastrous :P

Good man, they're a great way to get some milage out of the game if you're getting a bit bored on your main and they help you no end when it comes to learning the game.

It's also great to be able to find a chaos orb or some alcs and use them immediately to try get the gear you need to push you up the ranks instead of storing them for later use!!

One tip I'll give is, rush straight through most areas and then farm once you hit the ledge for easy XP and buy out any belts or rings with HP on them immediately.

I really enjoy D3 but the loot system sucks badly,i went through Inferno on my barb over the past week and didnt get a single upgrade from the previous difficulty 4 full acts on Inferno and not a single upgrade, thats a bloody joke.

Anyone still play this ? I had to uninstall before my exams, so just getting back to it now. Has their been any significant changes in the last 4 or 5 months. Handy having a full reset of skills available as i still hadn't got a grasp on the loot and such before i quit and pretty much had to start from scratch again when i started it up last nite !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

/shrug - not played it in months.

Love the concept with the leveling and skills... but honestly, there's little differences between classes - there's nothing unique between them. The only difference is where they start at in the talent tree.

If they had implemented separate trees, completely unique and diverse, just for their class as well as branching in with the rest, and raising the skill points to accommodate that of course... it would have made for a hell of a better game.

Surely there are still some unique differences tho ? I mean, yeah you can build most classes whatever way you want, but there are still a huge number of ways to play the game, so while each class can build in a number of similar ways to other classes, there are still clear differences between each build.

For example, you have ranged archers, summoners, tanks, spell casters, melee dmg dealers etc, Just because they aren't really seperated by the started class doesn't make it less diverse imo.

One thing i've just noticed is the built in twitch streaming thing ! Thats awesome, should built into most mp games these days.

• Advertisement

Game officially going live in just over 2 hours. Huge patch for 1.0, including a new class, new area's in act 3 and final boss.

Game can be downloaded on steam as well which is awesome.

Heres the full patch notes for anyone interested.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545523

Advertisement