Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Sound Engineering/Music Production

Options
  • 11-01-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am qualified a year and a half now as a music teacher for secondary school. Since i qualified i have been working in a very good secondary school covering a sick leave but I have always always wanted to be a sound engineer/music producer.

I finish my job in June, does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could get into this as a career? whether it be going to college or trying to get taken on as an apprentice

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

fayco wrote: »
    I am qualified a year and a half now as a music teacher for secondary school. Since i qualified i have been working in a very good secondary school covering a sick leave but I have always always wanted to be a sound engineer/music producer.

I finish my job in June, does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could get into this as a career? whether it be going to college or trying to get taken on as an apprentice

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks guys

What type of music do you plan on mixing/ producing?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fayco

Any type! It would be my dream to own a recording studio where artists can come to record their albums/tracks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

fayco wrote: »
    Any type! It would be my dream to own a recording studio where artists can come to record their albums/tracks

Do you have any background/knowledge when it comes to recording/engineering, or are you starting from scratch?
    If so, be prepared for a steep learning curve, lots of effort, considerable financial investment and a very tough slog to make a career and a living out of it.

Most commercial studios are struggling. Being a music teacher, you could go down the route of setting up your own music school, with a small recording setup to provide that service to students also. Might be a more feasible business prospect, but getting into engineering/studio work is a far cry from the stability of teaching in a secondary school (if you can get a job in one). Not saying it to be off-putting, but realistically, be prepared for a difficult road ahead if it's what you want to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

I agree with fitz setting up a studio at the moment will be a struggle for you coming into the game. There was a job site for some of the majors studios in UK for runners and interns, but prepare to starve and get very little money.

Key to success is people skills and recording/mixing skills. You need to sell yourself to a possible client. Doesn't mean to have to Kiss **S just be nice and understanding of the clients situation.

Example.
    I have a client from Austria that comes in for mastering. He has been with me the past year and has just signed to NexGen in the US and has decided to keep me for his mastering instead of using the labels mastering guy. Formed the partnership by been nice and understanding towards each other.

I have a search later for the website for you. You might stumble upon something

Advertisement